My kind of town, Chicago is...

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
I really enjoyed that tour and learned a lot about some neighborhoods that I've never spent much, if any, time in. I've done the riverboat tour and the loop tour, but I've never taken a slow trip through some of those other neighborhoods.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 05:35 am
Ok kids. We've got company coming. Cowdoc and Mizdoc (and friends) will be in Chicago from Jan 7 - 11. They have plans on the evening of the 10th. I suggested a lunch during the week when wandel can make it (where is he, btw?), and there's always museums to tour and clubs to visit. He mentioned trying to see a hockey game - probably the Wolves if the Blackhawks aren't available or too prohibitively priced. Is it really just me and joe here now?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:19 am
@JPB,
Sounds good to me. Always glad to see Cowdoc and the missus.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:40 am
@JPB,
Oh shucks! I have plans to go to Honolulu with my sister and brother-in-law during that period - from Jan 9 to 23. Maybe, next time.

Want you guys to know I've been thinking about you, and have been considering another jaunt to the windy city.

JPB, any chance you can come and visit our way? Love to show you around Northern Cal.

I'm leaving on Oct 23 for a 15-cruise on the Rhine & Mosel, then on Nov 10 I'm going on an AMA Waterway's one week cruise from Budapest to Prague, then spending 3-days in Prague.

Still trying to keep active.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:59 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Ok kids. We've got company coming. Cowdoc and Mizdoc (and friends) will be in Chicago from Jan 7 - 11. They have plans on the evening of the 10th. I suggested a lunch during the week when wandel can make it (where is he, btw?), and there's always museums to tour and clubs to visit. He mentioned trying to see a hockey game - probably the Wolves if the Blackhawks aren't available or too prohibitively priced. Is it really just me and joe here now?

I am right here, JPB. I would like to join all of you. I promise I will pay more attention to this thread. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:29 am
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little:

Unbearably Cute! Cubs Unveil New Mascot
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:38 am
@joefromchicago,
give im a cigar stub, a two day beard and put on a wife beater tee shirt and youll have it perfect.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:43 am
@farmerman,
You're thinking of the White Sox mascot - McBlotto, the lovable Irish drunk.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
These are the only mascots I really like ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps6d874a71.jpg

... especially, since I've seen and heard them live!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 09:30 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little:

Unbearably Cute! Cubs Unveil New Mascot

Of course, the Chicago Sun Times wrote that instead of a new mascot, they need better players. Smile
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 09:54 am
@wandeljw,
I think the mascot was their second-round draft choice.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
Maybe they can give the mascot steroids during spring training. Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:38 pm
And, Chicago is still very much my kind of town. Mr B and I had a *lovely* day downtown today. We caught a midday train downtown to meet up with joefromchicago for a last minute lunch gathering. Shaw's Crab House was a good choice. Then the B's went on to enjoy the Magritte exhibit at the Art Institute while joe returned to burn the mid-afternoon oil. Magritte was much more than I expected it to be. joe -- go. Then we made a stop at The Berghoff for a quick brew and sausage plate before grabbing the express train back to the burbs. Gotta say, I would do this day all over again Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:45 pm
@JPB,
I remember when Walter and I met you guys there at the Bergthoff. Maybe, we can talk Walter into coming to Chicago again with his wife, Ulla! I think joe, Walter and Ulla are the only ones who has met my wife.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:46 pm
@JPB,
Sounds good. I saw a Magritte exhibit, when, probably in the early 90's and also liked it more than I expected. Plus you got to see JoefromChicago.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I met your wife, Tak, back in San Francisco at the 2004 gathering - a couple of times, actually. Smart and lovely woman. I do remember her name, but you haven't used it on a2k so I won't either. I've also met Ulla; she and Diane and I had fun wandering around Santa Fe a few years ago.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember that too, CI. It was a fun evening.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I know, osso. The Magritte exhibit was… not what my mathematical, realist, "you seriously want me to think outside of myself self?" expected. I loved it. joe and I do a lot of tag these days. I'm here, he's not. He's here, I'm not (wait, he'll jump in and say he hasn't been anywhere in years until last weekend Wink ). It was definitely good. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:01 pm
@JPB,
Don't tell him, but I've long thought he is one of the smartest people I've run across, and, besides that, quickly funny.
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Not a word, but joe and Mr B in tandem are quite a pair Smile
0 Replies