Misti26

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
Bandylu: I'm one of those people who feels the cold something terrible. I am in pain when cold.

When we lived on Long Island, I found the winters dreadfully long and depressing, spring was short and sweet, summer too!

I guess that's what makes the world go around huh? Differences in people and their preferences.

Nah, I don't miss it at all.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:54 pm
Besides, if we all likes exactly the same climate it would get pretty crowded in that one special place.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:08 am
The newspaper says that we have had the coldest October in 115 years. The freeze came and stayed before the leaves were even off the trees. No autumn this year.

The forecasters are predicting a really warm winter for those of us in Manitoba ... or a really cold winter. Something about the jet stream and a warm mass in the Pacific. They predict it'll be one or the other ... um ...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 01:15 am
mckenzie

Duh...just noticed you are from Winnipeg. Sorry to hear it's been so cold for you, as autumn has been incredibly kind here. But it does beg the question...why are you there? Some years ago, my father and a friend both of whom had grown up in Manitoba were talking about a third friend who had, in his senior years, moved back to the prairies. They shook their heads, bewildered.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:03 am
I adore snow. My snowless years in L.A. were sad, sad years. Nothing like the first snowfall. Nothing like romping in the backyard with a little 'un, making snow angels and snow men and snow dogs, and going sledding, and coming home and warming up with hot chocolate...

'Course, it's that time of year. Ask me again in March, and I may be singing another tune. (Though that, as bandylu says, is what spring is for.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:12 am
I too confess a life-long adoration for snow, both on the ground and tumbling towards it. And for me, the best of snow is skiing in it. I love skiing. I think skiing is better than sex - but just in case I'm wrong, I make sure to only date ladies who disagree with me. One very odd (and wonderful) property of snow is that it erases (or at least, makes much less acute) property boundaries - you can traipse across someone's lawn or scoop a handful off some stranger's car, and that's suddenly an acceptable incursion. I suppose it is the shared aspect - which is a good reason everyone should vote Democrat on Tuesday.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:14 am
bandylu2 wrote:
Besides, if we all likes exactly the same climate it would get pretty crowded in that one special place.

I betcha. Here in Mexico City we have great weather all year round, and it's way too damn crowded.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:18 am
Ooh, NICE segue, blatham! Very Happy

Bandylu referred to this too, but you make me think of the communal aspects of a major snowfall -- there's no "natural disaster" so benign and, well, FUN. When I was a kid I'd grab a shovel and walk around the neighborhood with my dad, digging out people who were stuck, clearing walks of the elderly folks, etc. I love the snowstorms that are totally paralyzing, especially if you have a well-stocked grocery store within walking distance -- everyone given an excuse to forget work and school and just play. It's about as European as we Americans get, (and I think Canadians are like this too), in terms of the whole work ethic. We need to be FORCED into leisure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
sozobe

Lovely. Snow as a fun natural disaster. It is so. The story of you and your father is most endearing. We rarely get paralyzing amounts of snowfall here in Vancouver, but in those too seldom instances when even the city buses end up parked and turned into soft lumps, secretaries, students, old people, and chaps with briefcases will be happily lined up on the streets with their thumbs out, looking for a ride to wherever they might be going. And kindly drivers will brave drifts to pick them up, seeing each of them as some interesting fellow human in need, rather than as the likely agent of their gory demise.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 02:13 pm
blatham, what kept us here? Family obligations, mostly, when we were starting out. Then career (his) and my business as time went on. When we retire we'll be snowbirds for 6 month and spend the other 6 months wherever our kids end up (with our luck, probably here).

I can't remember the last time schools closed and things ground to a halt due to a snowstorm. We slog through it all, though we really haven't had very much snow for the last few years. It's just that once it comes, it doesn't melt 'til spring.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 02:47 pm
mckenzie

In fact, the times I've been in Winnipeg, it has always been quite agreeable, but I've not been there mid-winter. And I do confess to being a west coast wimp.
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 04:10 pm
Hey Misty, fnally found you Smile !

Strictly continental type of person that likes eternal spring...that's me, but just didn't have spring at all in last couple of years...seems that the climate is changing, so now we do have here either extremely cold winters without snow or summers that are terribly hot!

Such a shame!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:03 pm
...Your Name Is?
Alexandra: Ahaaaaaaaaaaaa, I can't hide!

You are always welcome here for a visit girl, just let us know the flight number, and the date, of course! Drunk
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:41 pm
It appears we are finally in for it. The three incredibly dry months are about to end...rain finally coming like a soggy endless freight train right at us.
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:49 pm
You can run, but you can't hide, Misty girl :wink: !

Thanx, someday I'll let you know the fligth number and the date, but I'm affraid if I come....hmmmm.....maybe I would like to stay till the end of my life? Than you'll have to adopt me, your daughter is going to get a sister, you'll get another one grandson...etc. etc. etc.

Laughing You see how many problems can come out of this??? Enjoy your wonderful time, my dear, while I'm freezing here at 6 C (calculate that in F's, I'm not good in that! :wink: )
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:55 pm
Hi Alexandra: Nah, you won't surprise me, you'll need a ride from the airport, he he!!!

Let/s see, 0C is 32F, sooooooooooooo I think you're gonna get snow soon my dear.

And yes, an extended family, think of all those extra presents at Xmas time ... !!! Drunk
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:59 pm
blatham, I love visiting Vancouver. One of my best friends lives in North Van, near Capilano Canyon, another lives in West Van., in the British Properties, another in White Rock, and on and on. All transplants from Wpg. They love the temperate climate but miss the sun.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 12:20 am
Well, it's the best time of the year, here. We're in drought at present, and some rain would do the world of good, but - the weather has been just magnificent. Not too hot, yet, but clear skies, pleasant days, comfortable nights.

Blatham - I'm sad to hear your weather is turning - I have a good friend heading up your way; he's driving up the coast from San Francisco as we speak (well probably not exactly as we speak - it must be approaching 10pm - checked world clock a while back). Like me, he doesn't like the cold, and I assured him it wouldn't get too cold.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 12:24 am
I do like the location facility on this site. Especially with topics like this one, it's good to be able to see where people come from. - Although Craven assures me he's under my bed, which is a bit spooky (and he must be very flat!)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:58 am
Mckenzie

It is pretty here. The first time I was in Winnipeg, I found myself automatically scanning the horizon for mountains to orient to. Obviously, I remained disoriented.

margo

I'm afraid your friend will have a very wet drive. I'm not sure how big this system is, but it's not unusual this time of year for systems to stretch down to northern california.
0 Replies