Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is an organization in Boston called the L Street Brownies. Organized Jan. 1, 1904, they bill themselves as the oldest "polar bear swimming club" in America. New Years Day each year members plunge right into the icy water in front of the L Street Boat House in South Boston, even if they have to break through a crust of ice to do so.

http://openwaterpedia.com/images/thumb/c/cc/L_street_brownies.jpg/300px-L_street_brownies.jpg

This picture was probably taken some time around the date of their founding.

It makes the local news broadcasts annually.

More about them HERE.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
If they were Finns, they would sit inside a sauna cooking rocks. When they were done, they would throw a bucket of water on the rocks, and run outside, whooping and hollering at the thought of rolling nekkid in the snow - because the water was already frozen solid.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:09 pm
This morning it was 48 degrees in St. Pete, suppose to warm up to about 74 this weekend then I heard next week it will drop again to as low as 27 degrees. I may have to take next week off from work.
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:46 pm
We r'cd 15" of snow on Wednesday and Thursday. Minus 5 degrees F (actual, not wind chill) this morning. The wind has started picking up now. This is what we're expecting by Monday.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/11740785783_f1940afa5c.jpg
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:50 pm
@JPB,
How can you even go outside in that weather? We even had to bring the tortoises in the house so they don't freeze to death.
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:57 pm
@jcboy,
I have no intention of going outside on Monday or Tuesday. Monday's daytime high is forecast to be minus 10F. The lowest daily high temp ever recorded in Chicago is minus 11. They're saying we may break it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:20 pm
@jcboy,
As the new little Ice Age makes its way south, there goes the oranges and grapefruits. You better learn how to cook potatoes like the rest of us or else move further south
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
My first winter here we had a bad frost and killed off all the plants, including palm trees. One of my trees rotted in the middle and just fell over and died.
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:39 am
@jcboy,
Blizzard Apocalypse 2014! The northeastern United States has been decimated. All flights in and out have been canceled. Some families have been forced to resort to cannibalism. Lawless groups of bandits are roaming the cities and looting abandoned businesses. It's terrible and going to get worse. My thoughts and prayers are with the poor, doomed souls.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:19 am
@jcboy,
Most all of the East Coast North of Virginia has been ruined. People are dying by the millions and weve had to retreat into our wifi enabled bomb shelter. Weve been repelling invaders all morning and Im getting hungry for some bacon and eggs.
Please send some oranges, we ran out of OJ in the cataclysm.
OH THE HUMANITY
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 11:39 am
@farmerman,
Yesterday they said it would be about 74 today, well it's still only 61 degrees outside, we can't even get out of the house today!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:26 pm
@jcboy,
I've just read in our local paper (onlne version),
that usually we've here dozens of Nordic and Russian rough-legged buzzards during winter - none has been seen until now.
But blackcaps were observed - birds usually staying around the Mediterranean Sea during winter ...

It's way to warm, and nature is quite a bit out of order ... crocuses are already blossoming and tulips are coming, too ...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:30 pm
@jcboy,
For parts of Tampa Bay area...Tuesday during the day is forecasted to be a high temp of 50 deg F and at night the low of between 28-30 deg F. Time to bail?
roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:02 pm
@Ragman,
Bail? What are you going to do, go south for the winter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:12 pm
@Ragman,
Yea, bail snow!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:14 pm
@roger,
Havana be looking gooood to me!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:58 pm
@Ragman,
I had the heater on in the car full blast on my way home from work, not safe to go out when its that cold!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
A friend of mine was flying back after a visit to Germany for the holidays. Her flight to Ottawa was diverted to Detroit yesterday - but unable to land - they finally landed in Akron Ohio. They've been told it could be a day or two before they get to Detroit - and then the airline will figure out how to get them to Ottawa.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I've got my robe, slippers, pajama pants, and a fire. I am ready for this cold night.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:40 pm
@jcboy,
I don't particularly want to think about how cold it is going to get (-40 where celsius and fahrenheit join evil arctic forces).

Can't run the dishwasher right now - one of the little space heaters in the house is running and keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I'd rather have warmth (heat probably isn't an option Sad ) than clean dishes. The dishes can be done on Wednesday when the temps skyrocket back up toward O Celsius.