Device improves internal combustion efficiency 97%

Milfmaster9

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 05:42 pm
Mini Hindenburgs may happen if the Hydrogen goes up... Hydrogen is more dangerous than petrol but in the long run the CO2 created will kill vastly more through global warming and cancers... (hotter climes = more skin cancer)
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:18 am
Oh, come on. Man-made CO2 accounts for approximately 0.6% of greenhouse gases. Water vapor (would be produced as a byproduct of hydrogen cars) is much more of a greenhouse gas.

Car manufacturers looking at hydrogen aren't using H2 gases in tanks. They are looking at H2 in salts that is released slowly or on-board generation, or liquid H2. The main potential safety issue would be at the gas pumps, but really shouldn't be an issue. In the event of a spill, H2 dissipates much more quickly than gasoline vapors, so should pose less of an explosion hazard.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:24 am
Liquid hydrogen in a car? can you really see that? What temperature/pressure would that be at?

Metal hydrides sounds better, but to my knowledge they've not cracked that (no pun intended).

Alternatively each car could pull a 40 tonne load of compressed hydrogen gass in metal cylinders. Should be good for at least 50 miles Smile
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
Mercedes was working on metal hydride over 10 years ago. They only had a 100 mile range at the time though, with 105 hp.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:40 pm
from an article in "business week" magazine :

fuel savings of 30 % can be achieved for less than $ 1,000 per car.

here are the fuel-savings - and their cost per vehicle :
- lighter materials, added cost $0 - gain 8%
- drag reduction, cost $185 - gain 6%
- smart engines, cost $415 - gain up to 13%
- starter/generator, cost $660 - gain 11%
- six-speed tranny, cost $0 - gain 9%

it would seem that we do not need to develop any fancy fuels for some time to come, if much simpler fuel saving efficiencies were implemented - and they probably will be implemented over the next five years. hbg
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:50 am
Can you link to the info? This appear to fail to take into account added maintenance costs, petroleum used to make those lighter materials, etc. There are many factors that affect petroleum usage besides fuel economy that really need to be looked at in total to make sure the extra $ buys us anything.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
don't have a direct link since it is not the current issue of "business week". as an example of "smarter engines" they refer to honda's i-VTEC engines that have been tweaked to give 6% better fuel economy (and they are already very fuel efficient). they also refer to the GM and chrysler cars that shut down one bank of cylinders once cruising speed has been obtained thereby incresing fuel efficiency. it seems that automobile manufacturers are beginning to see the light and start looking at fuel consumption. hbg
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:25 am
Actually, I was more interested in info on lighter materials costing $0 and drag reduction on $185. What would these do in terms of utility for the vehicles. For instance - you make a big, heavy pickup lighter - can it still handle loads? If my car were much lighter, it could quite literally be blown off the road in high winds - those of us who live in rural areas often need tougher vehicles. Lower gas mileage is the price we pay for a vehicle that doesn't die after a few runs on less-than-perfect gravel roads. If we shoot for pure fuel economy we may miss some of the purpose of the vehicles in question. Economics will lead us down that road eventually anyway. If people can afford the gasoline and keep buying even at high prices, there is no incentive to change.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:50 am
Okay, so what do you guys think of this?

It's already being used, and it does seem to be a good alternative. Why the hell is this stuff not just flying out of the pumps? Why isn't this getting huge amounts of press? Wouldn't this be a good way to at least start to curb our petroleum dependency?

Quote:
Biodiesel is the name of a clean burning alternative fuel, produced from domestic, renewable resources. Biodiesel contains no petroleum, but it can be blended at any level with petroleum diesel to create a biodiesel blend. It can be used in compression-ignition (diesel) engines with little or no modifications. Biodiesel is simple to use, biodegradable, nontoxic, and essentially free of sulfur and aromatics.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:22 pm
There are some questions as to the actual $ benefits of biodiesel, if I recall correctly.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:33 pm
DrewDad wrote:
There are some questions as to the actual $ benefits of biodiesel, if I recall correctly.

Of course those were before diesel was selling for $3 or more per gallon.
Like ethanol it takes energy to produce it. Not enough production plants at this point but it will increase. Some midwest states have mandated more biodiesel and ethanol be added to fuel products in their state. It will spread.

E-85 is going for $2.00 a gallon vs $2.69 for E-5 (regular gas) when I was in SD last weekend. Minnesota has mandated a 10% ethanol in all gas starting next year I believe.

Production capability is the key for both. I saw a story a year or so ago about a guy using used fryer oil in his diesel. Worked great but it smelled like french fries.
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:11 pm
I like the bio-fuels, personally, but there a some drawbacks. Bio-diesel CANNOT be used in all diesel engines. There are lots of diesels out there that would be detroyed by the stuff if blended at more than 10%. BUT, I suspect more engines will be designed for blends.

As to ethanol, it's also nice, but ethanol does not provide as much energy per gallon as gasoline, so reduces gas mileage significantly if compared on a 100% basis. 10% mixes don't show much difference at all. Ethanol is also harder on seals, etc if mixed at too high a concentration. I'm not saying ethanol is not a good idea - it is - it's just not that simple to switch over.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:13 pm
Brazil just went energy independent using sugar cane to produce ethanol.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
I'd switch to ethanol any time. Even grand cru Petrol is horrible in comparison. Currently running on modest Shiraz s.e. Australia.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
damn it said I had a new rely

just about to tell the idiot what a fool he/she was (I'm not biased) and it turns out to be ME

well I'm not in doubt of MY sexuality or intelligence THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I am without doubt the most intelligent and sexually male person that I have ever had knowledge of. Si vous compris. Danke et bon soir late here and shiraz dictates.

Thats Chiraz not Chiraq or any other French President
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:34 pm
Er...

Not to impersonate littlek or anything, but...

What?
0 Replies

jjavaman

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 05:07 pm
@abe lincoln78,
Very good. Enjoyed this. My son explains...to me....the power stroke of a pistion engine is only a few degrees of a full circle...... 15 degrees...20 degrees? Obsolete power source...l am thinking. Leaning the intake mixture only leads to overheating and piston meltdown.
So what is the answer to clean & mean?
spendius

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 05:54 pm
@jjavaman,
Bed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:34 pm
Whatever happened to Alice? I was liking her posts.
0 Replies