Gallbladder Removal & Post-operative depression?

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:29 am
Hi everyone

Just under three weeks ago I had keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder, and have made a reasonably good recovery, stitches are out, wounds are healing well, and I'm back to work, at the moment just doing what I can, and if it feels to much I go home. I still get occasional pain, but thats to be expected after having this surgery.

The one thing that is bothering me, is that I have been extremely tearful and quite depressed in the last week or so. One minute I'm high, the next I'm really down. I'm 22,and suffered from moderate depression up until a couple of years ago, which was always treated with medication. A colleague who has had quite a few major operations has said it sounds like I could be experiencing post-operative depression.

Does anyone know the likelihood of this? I will be booking an appointment with my doctor this week, but I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,766 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:18 am
Hi, foxy and welcome to A2K. If you mean by "keyhole" surgery a laparoscopy, I had that same operation. I suspect that you are having post op depression, dear, but I cannot say for sure, of course.

I had no depression whatsoever, but often anesthesia can cause interesting side effects. Best to let your doctor advise you.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:47 pm
Yes, I mean by laparoscopy Smile

I was really tearful when I woke up from the anaesthetic, and it was noted on my release forms, and they also mentioned it could have been a side effect from the morphine as well.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
As well as any pain meds you have been on since then.

Bear had a full surgery / non laparoscopy gallbladder removal earlier this summer. He would kill me for saying this, but... Yeah, he was depressed and weepy for a while.

Please bring it up with your doctor. May try a different pain med if you are still taking any. Worked for Bear.
0 Replies

vp88

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:34 pm
Post laprascopic surgery & depression
In response to 'Foxy 1983'. Yes, there is definitely a link to post-op and depression. I experienced depression after laparoscopic surgery and gallbladder removal. There were also several other side effects or symptoms like: nervousness, anxiety, and lack of sleep. The depression made me hit rock bottom before I decided to tackle it head on. My mom and my husband were of tremendous support during that time. Although i tried to get back into a normal routine there were some setbacks due to the side effects. I believe the depression was due to the pain meds they give after surgery and i immediately discontinued it. I didn't fully recover for another 6 months after surgery. I'm a mother of 4 and they all went through it with me. Inform your dr. and surround yourself w/ friends and family so you don't only focus on yourself. PRAYER is very important and don't every think that your going crazy!! Your body needs to heal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:36 pm
I was messed up for a while after being under general anesthesia, one of the effects being hallucinations, so depression because of meds really probably isn't uncommon. Go see your doctor and make sure that all is on the up and up.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:39 am
Thanks for the replies everyone, I still have the odd off days, as I am still getting pains that feel as if they were gallbladder pains. Weird as that part of me is gone now. I'm putting it down to doing too much too soon, and am just bearing with it. This wednesday will be 6 weeks since I had it done, and should receive a questionnaire in the post and it will go back to my surgeon. I'll note down any concerns and see what happens.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm
Foxy, you will get those gall bladder like episodes occasionally. Believe it or not, when I do, I drink milk, which helps.

Remember, the gall bladder serves a purpose, and you will, from time to time, get reminders that it is not there.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
Thanks Letty, I know people say 'you can live without it' and I'm glad that I had it done, I hope that it settles down as the insides heal properly and the reminder pains are few!!
0 Replies

alison hill

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:56 pm
Gall bladder removal & depression
I had my gallbladder and ovaries removed early Feb. and for the last month I have been experiencing anxiety and depression. I am told post-op depression is fairly common but I am not sure if that is all it is or if my hormones are playing a role. I am post menopause but those ovaries may have been releasing a little. I am on antidepressants and some days are good but other days it is like a switch being turned on and suddenly I am depressed again.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:59 pm
Alison--

Welcome to A2K.

Removing the ovaries, even aged overies, is bound to make you feel like a girl again--a teenaged girl with gloom and angst and feelings of being misunderstood.

My ovaries were yanked when I was 39 and I was constantly reminding myself to act my age--or at least like a legal adult.

You had two major surgeries--three since I presume your ovaries weren't next to each other--and you're still in the 6-8 week post op recovery time.

Hang on.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:59 pm
Alison--

Welcome to A2K.

Removing the ovaries, even aged overies, is bound to make you feel like a girl again--a teenaged girl with gloom and angst and feelings of being misunderstood.

My ovaries were yanked when I was 39 and I was constantly reminding myself to act my age--or at least like a legal adult.

You had two major surgeries--three since I presume your ovaries weren't next to each other--and you're still in the 6-8 week post op recovery time.

Hang on.
0 Replies

jane43

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@Foxy1983,
hi, i have just last friday 25th june, had mine removed to, i also feel very tearfull, i was very positive after i came out of the opp, as to just how quickly it was done, i have been feeling on a high, but yesterday i woke feeling very tearfull, and today i am to.
0 Replies