Roger's Hearing Aid Thread

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
Okay, the pricey little devil finally arrived, and I've got it stuck in my ear at this very moment. Sheese, how do you people stand the noise. My keyboard rattles like a stake bed truck filled with tee posts and assorted scrap iron. Handling a piece of paper sounds like an avalanche. I can also hear Ray Charles - not bad for an old guy.

What I ended up with was the GN Matrix behind the ear model. Same brand as Eva's, and almost as comfortable, in a physical sense. Audiologically speaking, it is a noisy world out there. Supposedly, we learn to deal with the noise as the rest of you do. On the downside, we lose our almost psychic ability to fill in the missing words in conversation. We'll also probably lose our unconsciously developed rudimentary lip reading skills. It's going to be hard to break the habit of staring at peoples' lips when they talk, but we take the good with the bad.

Questions about Hearing Aids by Eva

Does anyone know much about hearing aids? by Dlowan

Improved Technology for the Hearing Impared by BumbleBeeBoogie.

Cochlear implants by Tomkitten

Poor Eva's Badly Hijacked Albuquerque Thread by Eva

I put "hearing aid" in the title to make it easier on google. If anyone has any good links to add, or experiences to share, feel free.

Oh, the beast cost $2,500.00. In New Mexico, add sales tax.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,742 • Replies: 105
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY, ROGER! DOES THE THING WORK?

Oooops, sorry, I guess I can tone it down now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
Yowza! $2,500 and health insurance doesn't cover it, does it? Thanks for the info, roger.....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
Remember the one where the two old-timers met on the street and the first one excitedly says, "I got my new hearing aid! It works great."

The other guys says, "What kind is it?"

Guy looks at his watch and says, "3:15"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
Wow, great collection of info, roger.

One thing I've said to Eva several times is that even if a hearing aid is the best possible one for you, it will be an annoying cacaphony for a while. The problem is that if it's not the best hearing aid for you, it'll also be an annoying cacaphony.

But I've gone from annoying cacaphony to ahhhh several times (because my hearing kept changing, I've had the "like new" experience a few times as I got ever-more powerful models), it does happen.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:15 pm
Yes, it works. Especially when some raggedy old diesel pickup pulls up along side of you. Sorry, Gus. They warned me my voice would adjust to a lower level now that I can hear myself.

No health insurance does not cover it, thanks for asking. They do cover the crumby ENT's exam. VA doesn't either, unless it's service connected. I find myself kind of resentful of the $175.00 sales tax, more than anything. I do have a good impression of the device itself.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:21 pm
I checked it out pretty well, soz. Eva even let me try hers for a comfort fit. I priced out the ResoundAir model from GN. The local hospital wanted two grand even. Hearing planet on the internet was second best in price, but the nearest outlet is 150 miles away, in Albuquerque. Anyway, they all agreed that the resound was marginal at present, and wouldn't get better. I just had to have the physical comfort factor involved in it and the one that worked for me. I think it's going to be a goodie.

Thanks for all the advice from you and Eva. It helped a bunch, and got me off dead center.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:22 pm
I'm glad you got the h.a. I wish it was less expensive for you. It'll be a long time coming before I get me one of them money pits.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
I'll probably be getting advice back from you guys -- my insurance covers some but not all of the cost and I'd have to get The Most Powerful Thing They Got (read, The Most Expensive Thing They Got) and I want to get my financial footing first, but will be checking out how technology has improved since I last had hearing aids at some point in the future.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:27 pm
Soz, that's exciting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:28 pm
I sure hope so, lilk, but when you don't go to movies and lectures, you might have to bite the bullet. I attended a talk by Michael McGarrity recently. He is a writer of modern New Mexico western detective stories. I could tell from the audience that he a good speaker, and knew how to tell a funny story. That's the only way I could tell.

Why do libraries, convention centers, and meeting rooms have such lousy acoustics? It must be some kind of architectural fad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Aw..... my hearing isn't that bad yet. I don't think.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
Oh, soz, I hope you can find something that works for you. I had the impression you didn't have any more to work with than I do in my right ear.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:33 pm
Well, I don't. (120 db loss.) But still want to see what's out there since I last was on the market -- doubt anything would work, but don't want to assume.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:25 pm
Well, don't assume that what you need is necessarily going to be the most expensive just because it'll be the most powerful, Soz. I found that the price depends on how SMALL the unit is, and how new the technology is. The CIC models, for instance, were twice as expensive as the BTEs. And the BTEs without ear molds (like mine) were more expensive than the ones with molds. Since you'll need one with molds (those have the greatest power) you may find they cost less than Roger's or mine. (The ReSoundAIR Plus models I have cost $1700 ea. through my ENT's office. But my insurance picked up the entire cost because my hearing loss was due to an accident. If it had been aging, I would have been SOL.)

ROGER!!! I am so happy to hear you found something! You know, it amazed me how loud everything was at first, too. (And it had only been about a year since my hearing loss.) In fact, the volume gave me headaches. They had to turn the power down, then raise it back up gradually as I became accustomed to hearing at normal volume. If it really bothers you, you can ask them to do the same for you.

Oh, and I know what you mean about large rooms with high ceilings. Restaurants are often terrible, too. All that background noise interferes with what I really want to hear.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:44 pm
Roger--

Wonderful.

Er...um...could you sorta, kinda remember that your new toy will whistle when you adjust it and that people who love you don't necessarily automatically love that whistle?

My congratulations to you--and to your near and dear.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:06 pm
It does? My little darlin' gives a very discrete little beep when I switch from program a to program b. If they can hear it at all, they should rejoice in their great gift of hearing. Otherwise, they can learn to love it.

It isn't adjustable for volume, in the usual sense. It adjusts itself. I can cover the microphones with my hand and get a minor chiming sound, but all that stuff is behind the ear, not in the ear.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:15 pm
Roger--

Knowing you on line for six or seven years, I've never felt the need to shout. We communicate with the clicks of the keyboard and our romantic eyes.

I'm thrilled that your Near and Dear will have the same low volume glow.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
Eva, you're totally right about smaller models, but last I knew anyway, once you get to the more powerful models -- which all have earmolds and are all BTE -- the price goes up according to complexity/ power.

I think I mentioned my friend who cashed in his stock options at a hot Internet startup (and he was just customer service -- sigh -- lucky boy) and bought cutting edge aids -- $25,000. I remember that figure but not if it was for one or two.

So, whole different price bracket when we're talking about the ultra-powerful ones.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
WHOA. Shocked
0 Replies