Why Do Higher Gas Prices Anger You?

Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:16 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
So, is everyone still okay with prices at the pump?

Absolutely. I just returned form Germany, where gas is now around $9 per gallon, and where you still don't hear the level of whining about it that you hear in America. The truth is that gas in America still is absurdly cheap -- just not quite as absurdly as it used to be a few years ago.

squinney wrote:
Drill Baby Drill?

Nope. For one thing, it's unnecessary, given the ridiculous cheapness of gas in America, which I already mentioned. But I would lack enthusiasm for extra drilling in Alaska and offshore even if it was necessary. The reason is that this would be way insufficient, given the quantities of oil in question.

I do, however, confess to inflating my tires this morning.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Absolutely. I just returned form Germany, where gas is now around $9 per gallon, and where you still don't hear the level of whining about it that you hear in America.

The reason for that is that it's 20 cent/liter cheaper now than six weeks ago. Wink
Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Still, I think I'm about to loose a bet against you and Steve this fall, because it's not going to fall to $62 in 2005 dollars. When are you coming to New York so I can invite you to the lunch that I owe you?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:17 pm
@Thomas,
Since I don't want that you'll have to spend some extra bucks driving to another state - we'll do it when you're the next time here Wink
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
I think we pay about the same for the base price of gas. Europeans pay significantly more due to taxes. Our state taxes on each gallon vary, but for the most part we still pay the same base price if taxes are not considered.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@squinney,
True - but you seldom find a pump here where you can get tax- and duty-free gas ... Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:13 pm
@Thomas,
Hi Thomas Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
it costs me more to transport my gear to clubs but because gas prices effect attendance at clubs negati vely I can't ask for more money.
0 Replies