Define history

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:37 pm
In your own opnion how would u define history?

Mine: I believe history is a collection of the events in that occured in the past supported by evidence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 25,206 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:52 pm
There are actually two definitions. The one you cite is the popular notion of history as the sum total of all that happened in the past. But to those who wish to be precise, history is the written record of past events. The word itself comes from the French histoire which simply mens 'story.' People who use this latter definition, refer to anything in the past that occurred before there were any written records as pre-history. Pre-history can be inferred only from such things as archeological excavations and hints in folklore, e.g. very old folk-songs and folk-tales.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 02:43 am
I have always defined history as anything that has already happened even events that happened a split second ago since in the overall scheme of things those actions will effect the future even if seemingly in only the smallest of ways.

Let me give an example: If I clip a rose from the bush out front and a petal falls on the ground it seems like nothing. Fast forward, a squirrel passes through my yard and nibbles on the fallen petal and it becomes lodged in the poor creatures throat causing him/her distress. The squirrel attacks my neighbors cat who dies of injuries sustained from this attack and my neighbor being distraught fails to see the stop signal and plows through an intersection and into the front window of a store. The store owner had not paid the insurance premium and soon goes out of business, this is followed by his wife divorcing him and his becoming homeless and subsequently mentally unstable and one night he goes on a murderous rampage. The courts find him guilty but he gets one reprieve after another from the death penalty and. lawyers and judges and juries are involved which effects other lives and.. well the thing is every thing that happens creates something else so everything is history. Even reading this message is part of history as is my writing it since these events set into motion the next event, my looking for responses, seeing how many have looked at the initial topic, possibly coming onto A2K and creating an internet jam which will cause another person to yell at their spouse...
Yes. History by definition to me is anything which has already happened.
0 Replies

JULIAROSELEE

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:25 am
@Maradona,
ang kasaysayan ay tumutukoy sa mga pangyayaring nagaganap nuung sina unang panahon
JULIAROSELEE

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:33 am
@JULIAROSELEE,
history is an event of life
JULIAROSELEE

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:39 am
@JULIAROSELEE,
history is a book of life
JULIAROSELEE

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:40 am
@JULIAROSELEE,
history is where you found livelihood
0 Replies

JULIAROSELEE

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
@JULIAROSELEE,
history is where you find stories
0 Replies

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:09 am
History is a plan for future life, so you dont commit the same mistakes.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@JULIAROSELEE,
JULIAROSELEE wrote:

ang kasaysayan ay tumutukoy sa mga pangyayaring nagaganap nuung sina unang panahon

Ditto.
0 Replies