Confessions of a middle aged tomboy.

shoey

Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
@littlek,
I think the reason i became into the tomboy thing is because my mom would pick out these itchy uncomfortable dresses and i couldnt play in a dress without her hollering at me, crud! Luckily i had an older brother, and when my mom one day was boxing up his overalls too short for him i nabed em, their was a pair of red, yellow and bluejeans ones. I was livid. the first time she saw me out running around in my yellow one with this yellow flowered T' i had, she didnt balk one bit after that and i stayed out of her way! The coolest thing about em is you could roll up the legs and it had a snap in the inside of the leg that held the cuffs up SOOO Water puddles HERE I COME! and toads LOL
Yeah alot of girls like barbies but i just had this one doll i was nuts about, barbies where way to emotional for them, all they did is complain and whine about em. Waste of time in my mind. I loved soccer too, looking at these days i guess if you had the drive to compete, you likes sports, man they dont call em Tomboys today and they wear jeans and stuff. I think we were just the calling for the fashion world! Besides in the winter dresses are frickin Cold!
I at 40 now still love nature, walking thru the woods, football, witty remarks i make that make people laugh, and playing with my dog. Jeans and a T'shirt that are so much comfortable! SMILES
sozobe

Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
@shoey,
One thing I wish they had when I was a kid (they started to become a thing when I was in H.S., loved 'em then) were leggings/ skirt combinations. That suits my "tomgirl" (her term, she's nine) just perfectly. She likes fashion but she wants to be able to sprint in everything she owns... she's the only girl playing football with the boys at recess (evidently she's a decent quarterback, who knew), but she's wearing skirts + leggings (with fake Uggs or Converse sneakers) most of the time. She finds jeans too constricting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:59 pm
I'm reviving this thread because I just finished reading the graphic novel "Tomboy" by Liz Prince.

It is so spot on I could hardly get over it. It's almost like she stole little pieces of my life. It's a wonderful book that I highly recommend to any tomboy or parent of a tomboy.
One Eyed Mind

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 07:18 pm
A tomboy is just a girl who is angry and doesn't know how to express it without dressing up like a man.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 07:32 pm
@boomerang,

Thanks, boom.

I'm in the middle of a book that sets well but so far is just history, although interesting history. Report later.
One Eyed Mind

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 07:34 pm
Let me rephrase:

A tomboy is a girl that loses herself in pride; this pride turns her estrogen into testosterone, which causes her to become a biological mess.
0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Reading back through this thread makes me miss so many people who no longer post here regularly -- mac11, sozobe, montana, dlowan, Free Duck, little k, etc., etc., etc.

I should know better than to revive 10 year old threads. It makes me melancholy.

At least we're both still here!

I'm going to send my copy of "Tomboy" off to Mo's middle school library (who are always looking for donations). It's so much about friendship and finding your own tribe. Really refreshing stuff. Perfect for confused middle schoolers, I think.
edgarblythe

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 08:37 pm
In my 23 years doing maintenance work, I have worked along side of two who qualify as tomboys. The first, I liked and admired very much. She was a good working companion, who carried her weight for eight hours, then went home and played soccer. The second had issues, but she was better versed than I will ever be in our field and I learned things from her. I would willingly have either one back, in some imagined future.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 08:40 pm
@boomerang,
Boomerang, why are you a biological mess? Look within; reclaim your inner girl. Right now, she's being raped by your mind's shadowy creatures. Do not let her get raped by them! Free her from this mental prison - let go of your pride and remember your female side, do not reassure yourself away from it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 18 Sep, 2014 09:02 pm
I'm mix of dumkoph no brain, and startlingly observant person, so middle aged tomboy fits me, except that I'm older.

Anyway, re the book I'm 1/2 of the way through is Jumpa Lahiri's The Name Sake.

It's a bit boring but I get over that and engaged. I may end up liking it. Not quite yet.

0 Replies

Ethels

Wed 21 Jan, 2015 01:20 am
@boomerang,
Tomboy......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 21 Jan, 2015 06:04 am
Tomboy

I was called that too.. a long time ago. It served me well when I learned to disregard the undertone of insult it was delivered to me with. After that, I used it as a tool and people began to take me seriously. It was my ' I take no bullshit' badge. Loved it.
0 Replies