Cat kisses my face

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
Smile My new kitten (4 months old) likes to wake me up in the middle of the night by "kissing" my face and mouth with it's nose. It does this every night sometimes 2 or 3 times a night - it also purrs very loudly. I'm losing sleep - please help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 15,353 • Replies: 17
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 02:03 pm
I had a cat once that would snuggle up and suck on my earlobe. It drove me bananas.

My vet said that the kitten hadn't been properly weaned. That could be your kitten's problem.

I think what we did is get a piece of dirty clothes like a sock (something that smells like you) and jammed a little stuffed animal inside it. Then when Monster started with the sucking thing we would redirect his attention to the sock/animal. Eventually he started licking the sock/animal all the time instead.

I had another cat that got hit by a car and ended up with brain damage. That cat would lick for hours and hours on end and she was impossible to discourage. Considering her circumstances we just let her lick.

I understand that cats who have seizures will sometimes lick like that too.

As to the purring....

I had one cat for more than 20 years. She slept with her head on my shoulder and purred like a freight train for more than 20 years. When she died, I really thought I'd never be able to fall asleep again.

To me, a cat's purr is the perfect white noise.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 02:17 pm
I agree with the loud purring. I have a cat that purrs so loud - the sound is comforting to me. Every night she would sleep right on top of me and purr and purr.

Then I got married and even though my husband loves animals too, he could not stand the loud purring. He would push her off the bed and I tried the guilt trip on him, but it didn't work. My beautiful cat now sleeps with my 6 year old. I think it is a comfort to both of them.
0 Replies

ithamomy

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
loud purring
oh I don't mind the purring - in fact - I think that tells me my kitty is happy. But the kissing at 3am has got to go......thanks for the replies. Appreciate them all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
I think you will have to ignore the kitten when it kisses you inappropriately.

I have two Siamese who used to wake me similarly - and I rigorously pretended to sleep on, no matter the provocation.

They learned that no contact with them would happen until I stirred - unaided by them.

It took a while, but it worked.

Your kitten loves you!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:36 am
I have no advice to give you, just a short story to share.

At about 2 years of age, my "kitten" (although full grown she was still very small), named Bitty would come to me every morning at about 5am with her kitty kisses. She never licked, but just oh so gently pressed her tiny little kitten lips to mine over and over. Of course I was awake with the first one and tried to ignore her, but she was very persistent and I would always end up opening my eyes and giggling at her sweetness. Every morning, without fail she would do this.

One morning, after kisses and giggles, she was walking across the living room floor and fell over. At 29 months of age, she died from what the vet surmised was an aneurism. I spent over two hours trying to resuscitate. Bitty and when I finally accepted that she was gone, I held her in my arms and wailed in grief for another two hours. I mourned the loss of her for well over a year. She was the most remarkable cat I had ever known. If my boyfriend and I argued, she would literally climb up me to get between us and snuggle deep into my neck and meow softly. She was so gentle and so intuitive.

Enjoy your kisses. What I wouldn't give for just one more.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 05:11 am
And they say animals don't know affection/love. We know different.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:08 am
Yes, we do! Very Happy

ithamomy

My cat thinks curling up around the top of my head is the best & warmest place to sleep on very cold nights. AND he's BIG! You think you have problems? Laughing

Enjoy your kitten. Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:42 am
I agree with dlowan - if you get up and/or give attention, the kitten will continue. My cats have learned that they get nothing until we rise from bed. It is quite funny actually. They both sit near the bed looking up at us. The minute one of us rises, they make a bee-line for the kitchen and their beloved food dish.

Lady J - what I sweet and sad story. Sounds like a very loveable kitten.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:52 am
My cat used to make me pancakes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:51 pm
Ithamony--

Welcome to A2K.

Cats are nocturnal optimists. They have hopes that their servants can be educated to nap during the day and frolic after dark.

Right now your kitten is a damn nuisance--but I've known cats who move through the sleeping house knocking knick-knacks to the floor.

At least you wake up knowing you are loved by your kitten instead of being assulted by a clumsy burglar.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:59 pm
Yeah, enjoy your lil guy. It probably is because the kitten was weaned too early. That happens a lot w/ cats.

You have it easy. -sigh-
since i brought the newest addition home, i have been waking up to cat fights over my body. I think they are fighting over territory right now; but they better become friends quick!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:47 pm
My cat gets me up in time for work. Really.

As for the licking, no, don't ignore it. Pretend to be sound asleep; wake up abruptly when it starts. Now, scream, kick, and wave your arms. Unless Little Lucifer has a sadistic streak, she'll quit fairly soon.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 12:26 am
roger Smile
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
Have you tried shutting your door so he cant get in? That is what I do when I am at my parents house -- go home and the cat drives me crazy!! He has now learned to not bother me Smile

Good Luck
0 Replies

Sherri

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
I have a new kitty.. well she's about 10 months now. I've had her almost 6 months. From the very first night, she wakes EVERY morning giving me french kisses in my MOUTH. At first I just laughed. Where did she learn this??? But now, it's no longer funny. She is relentless with her affection and it hurts. What to do?
roger

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 11:43 pm
@Sherri,
Smack her! No, seriously. Kittens are used to being knocked around by Mom. It's almost like they expect it.

I don't mean you should do it hard enough to cause injury, but definately harder than as if you were just playing around. I know I'm going to catch hell for this answer, but as long as you aren't being sadistic, the kitten will outgrow it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:08 am
@Sherri,
push her away and say no loudly and firmly. Keep doing it - she'll get the hint.
0 Replies