Sin tax

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:22 pm
Shewolf, you DO owe much penance. You may make out your check to the Republican National Convention.

Of course, penance also involves confession of sins and repentance.

I volunteer to hear your confession. (PLEASE!)

But somehow I don't think you're planning to repent.

That's okay. It's just more money they'll get. I'm sure they'll be okay with that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:29 pm
Just as an aside: there has never been and still isn't a curtain tax in the Netherlands: in 1821, there window tax was introduced. (0.40 Gulden in rural regions per window, 1,10 Gulden in towns and cities.)

And this - due to the fact that the Dutch didn't use curtains - led to the urban legend of a 'curtain tax'.

(The window tax was abandoned in 1896, btw.)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
There was a window tax in the US, once, in 1797. The Federal Government imposed it, just to make the point it could levy such a tax. But it never did it again. Maybe it looked in too many windows.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
Oh sister eva,
I have done MUCH MUCH wrong in my little life.

oh wait..
confession..
that means everyone hears what I have done?
Nah.
Ill keep my virginal appearance unflawed and in place 10-Q BERY much..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:03 pm
Just when it was getting interesting, someone comes along and provides the correct facts. Drat, I was so looking forward to hearing shewolf's confession and possibly getting a few new tips, er ideas, that is, educational enlightenment.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
Dont worry..
the book will be out soon. ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:46 pm
Your virginal appearance, shewolf?

I fear it is much, much too late for that.

And now that the Nun is here, you should really give your confession to her. Nevermind the slits up the sides of her habit. She's not a very conventional nun, you know. Of course, that's why we like her.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:54 pm
The Bra-less nun...
hmm

I DO have a virginal appearance.
I do.. ( stammering) . r-r-ea.y.. really.. Confused
Games' up huh?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:03 pm
Forget the facts; it's the principles that count. For example, I know an exhibitionist who wouldn't think of putting up curtains. And I suppose peeping toms are delighted. I use double curtains because I consider picking my nose or stratching my but acts to keep private, as a civic principle.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:16 pm
Tax on Thingy / Vox Pops
As featured in the Flying Circus TV Show - Episode 15

The cast:

POLITICIAN
John Cleese
FIRST OFFICIAL
Graham Chapman
SECOND OFFICIAL
Eric Idle
THIRD OFFICIAL
Terry Jones
GUMBY
John Cleese
MAN IN BOWLER HAT
Terry Jones
MAN IN SUIT
Eric Idle
'IT'S' MAN
Michael Palin
FIRST BUSINESS MAN
John Cleese
SECOND BUSINESS MAN
Michael Palin
MAN IN CAP
Michael Palin

The sketch:

(Animation leads to an oak paneled, Civil Service committee room. A politician is addressing three officials.)

Politician: Gentlemen, our MP saw the PM this AM and the PM wants more LSD from the PIB by tomorrow AM or PM at the latest. I told the PM's PPS that AM was NBG so tomorrow PM it is for the PM it is nero. con. Give us a fag or I'll go spare. Now- the fiscal deficit with regard to the monetary balance, the current financial year excluding invisible exports, but adjusted of course for seasonal variations and the incremental statistics of the fiscal and revenue arrangements for the forthcoming annual budgetary period terminating in April.

First Official: I think he's talking about taxation.

Politician: Bravo, Madge. Well done. Taxation is indeed the very hub of my gist. Gentlemen, we have to find something new to tax.

Second Official: I understood that.

Third Official: If I might put my head on the chopping block so you can kick it around a bit, sir...

Politician: Yes?

Third Official: Well most things we do for pleasure nowadays are taxed, except one.

Politician: What do you mean?

Third Official: Well, er, smoking's been taxed, drinking's been taxed but not ... thingy.

Politician: Good Lord, you're not suggesting we should tax... thingy?

First Official: Poo poo's?

Third Official: No.

First Official: Thank God for that. Excuse me for a moment. (leaves)

Third Official: No, no, no - thingy.

Second Official: Number ones?

Third Official: No, thingy.

Politician: Thingy!

Second Official: Ah, thingy. Well it'll certainly make chartered accountancy a much more interesting job.

Cut to vox pops.

Gumby: (standing in water) I would put a tax on all people who stand in water ... (looks round him)... Oh!

Man In Bowler Hat: To boost the British economy I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Man In Suit: I would tax the nude in my bed. No - not tax. What is the word.~ Oh - welcome.

It's Man: I would tax Racquel Welch. I've a feeling she'd tax me.

First Business Man: Bring back hanging and go into rope.

Second Business Man: I would cut off the more disreputable parts of the body and use the space for playing fields,

Man In Cap: I would tax holiday snaps.

(Freeze frame.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:34 pm
Sin taxes are targeted most at addictions. They know that even if cigarettes are raised to five bucks a pack the the poor addicted slobs will continue to smoke.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:45 pm
The nun welcomes shewolf to sit and give her confession. Shewolf no longer looks virginal, but boy oh boy does she look, taxable.

Nun is wearing her slit up to the waist habit which habitually shows off her mesh encased legs, which are heavily taxed by all the kneeling that is required of all nuns gone bad. Dys just loves taxing the nun gone bad and is considering listening in on shewolf's confession just to get a few tips, er information er, enlightenment. Little does he know that the tax on overheard confessions is a whopping 69%. He is happy to oblige as 69 is one of his favorite numbers.

The nun decides it is way past bedtime, she is getting outrageously unnunlike. Sin taxes. What is the world coming to?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:08 pm
I seem to remember sin as easier to do than other taxes, but, I'm not your most adept observer on taxes.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:16 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Sin taxes are targeted most at addictions. They know that even if cigarettes are raised to five bucks a pack the the poor addicted slobs will continue to smoke.

Hey, who you callin a poor addicted slob? Laughing
0 Replies