Collapsed lung-recovery time?

LaurenAmbrose

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 05:35 am
@Wilso,
Collapsed lung might occur if due to rib fracture or spontaneous pneumothorax.The time to required for treatment depends on the cause, if its a small pneumothorax the period required would be few days but for a large pneumothorax it might take quite long to recover.
0 Replies

boogerfrancais

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 03:48 pm
Someone asked about accutane.

I've never used accutane but I did use some antibiotic to treat acne for 3 days. I still think that was one of the dumbest decisions my parents made me do. Holy **** I suffered from that drug. It was several years ago that I used the antibiotic, and my lung just recently collapsed though and I'm still in the hospital.
0 Replies

Friend

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 05:41 pm
@troj,
Hi, my son 18 years old big soccer player since young age was just standing there and wammo his left lung collapsed about 30% due to Blebs. They did the normal routine by inserting tube in side hoping this would reinflate the lung it did not - they did another procedure to attack an area where they though the Blebs were - it did not take. Finally we said do the surgery, which they did to repair. He is in a lot of pain but is slowly getting better. Still in hospital after 6 days. Tomorrow morning they clamp the tube to see if his lung can hold without tube - praying here! Docs told us 4 week recovery before physical activity - remember big soccer player! Loved all the stories here - but it sounds nerve racking that many take a lot more time to recover from this and are in pain much longer than they should when sent home - thanks all.

Friend
0 Replies

jameslamb

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:10 am
Hi I'm 27 my left lung collapsed when I was 18 I was watching tv when I felt like someone had knife inside my chest and stab me every time I would breath in so ended up going to hospital like four hours later thay put me on oxygen for three days sent me home with my lung almost aired up pretty much my right lung is as I'm writing this collapsing it started last night about 9-10 and I knew what it was I get sharp pains pretty much every few days as soon as I fill I breath in through mouth deep and exhale through nose and it usually catches it in time and seals back up but not this time I've been really busy today couldn't stop on what I was working on got to support my family just got done had till seven this morning to get clients motor put in his truck
I'm thinking of waiting on my wife to wake up to take me are should I wake her up now I don't know how much air my lung has lost since 10 night before last don't no why I'm sharing this I haven't had to have tube are surgery yet and hopefully I don't have to this time if any body's up would it be a smart idea to go no
0 Replies

Quigsprinceton

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:24 pm
Hello! My 17yo son had a spontaneous pneumothorax (right lung) in Nov 2014. He is a very active kid - surfer, snowboarder, sprinter on the track team, etc. it was discovered that he had blebs on both lungs so over an 8 week period he had the tops of each lung removed and then using the medical talc, roughed up his ribcage/lungs and essentially glued them to his ribcage. My question to all of you who have had this surgery, have you had problems with you lung/s collapsing after surgery? He is less than 3 months out from his last procedure and finally starting to return to a somewhat normal life and his right lung collapsed (or should I say ripped away from his ribcage) 10%. I can't seem to find any information on collapses after surgery - how often it happens, treatment, etc. Our surgeon does not want to operate as he said it is much more complicated to do the procedure again and I just don't know if he is doomed to have continual collapses.........any insight or your experience might help.
0 Replies

jennicummings

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:08 pm
I had a collapsed lung in November 2014. The chest tube didn't fix the problem and I had to have surgery. The top portion of my lung was removed and it was stapled shut. I hated being stuck in the hospital and then being sent home and told not to do anything. It was painful and uncomfortable but sitting around doing nothing was the hardest part for me.

My doctor told me not to fly in any unpressurized airplanes and no scuba diving or mountain climbing. I went for my follow up two weeks later and was on an airplane (pressurized) the next day. I feel great I started back at the gym with a trainer to help me ease back into it around February 2015.

Once and a while I get sharp pains in my chest and get a bit scared but I'm not going to do the things I love because I'm scared. If it happens again I will deal with it and I will know what to expect. My next goal is a hike. Nothing drastic at extremely high altitudes but some challenging day hikes.

I wish everyone who posted their story on here a speedy and successful recovery. Remember to listen to your body and do what's right for you!
0 Replies

Cybernuke5544

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 04:14 pm
@mollyandalexis,
No hospital would do that ever I had collapsed a lung in the worst way and the only way for it to inflate is with a tube I even had to have surgery for my lung so no hospital is just going to let you out with out your lung fully inflated or they wouldn't not put a chest tube in for a collapsed lung especially since you were having arm pain from the collapsed lung.
0 Replies

FallenBloodRaven

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 12:34 pm
@Jalsemgeest,
Hello, I've never had a collapsed lung but I am at higher risk due to having Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease/Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease aka Asthma. Currently I'm writing about my boyfriends experience. We found out yesterday (Friday January 29th) that his chest and shoulder pain was from his right lung being 15% collapsed, the doctor did X-rays to confirm it, and sent him home, and to return on Sunday January 31st to find out what they are going to do about his collapsed lung if anything. He's in a tremendous amount of pain (Tylenol is not helping). He says e can feel air bubbles moving in his chest. I don't know they will have to do surgery atleast I hope not due to the risk of possibly destroying his lung all together. I read online a woman was givin an anti-inflammatory and that helped her lung re-inflate. Hopefully it will be something tht simple to help him. If anyone has any other surgery non related suggestions if love to hear about them. - Saydees
0 Replies

Christinesal

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:31 pm
@techn9ne90,
Hey, you were truly lucky. My lung completely collapsed, then 3 weeks later collapsed again. My lung isn't even at 50%,. This happened April 2016. I see my lung dr every week, had 2nd opinion n was told same thing, I'm in that 3% bracket of people whose lung doesn't inflate to normal. I as of now, can night fly. Be thankful you were so lucky. I'm young, not much of a smoker, and was in good health.
0 Replies

Christinesal

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:33 pm
@techn9ne90,
Fyi, I was in icu for 5 weeks
0 Replies

linda taylor

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:27 pm
I'm recovering after a collapsed lung from broken ribs from horse fall. Is it normal to have wind and a bloated tummy? I had the tube put in to my chest
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:54 am
@linda taylor,
talk with your doctor, or at least with his or her staff.
0 Replies

Janice1111

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 04:47 am
I have been out of 2 weeks after suffering from a collapsed lung on left handbside is it normal for there still to pain in my chest and ribs round towards my back.
Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 06:56 am
@Janice1111,
My sympathies for your discomfort A friend had spontaneous type of pneumothorax and it took weeks for him to feel better. However this 30 yrs ago.

Are you aware that there have been numerous replies explaining the details of pneumothorax (including pain levels) throughout this thread. Also hasn't your doctor explained this to you?
0 Replies

Celia bonwick

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2017 12:32 pm
I had my first SP 2 years ago, woke up to go to work and lung had collapsed whilst sleeping, had chest drain and suction and left hospital after 10 days. 4 wks ago I was on holiday in Paris and sneezed causing an
Sp again in the same lung
Chest drain again and home awaiting surgery. Havnt smoked for
8 yrs and relatively health. Cheesed
Off as I love to travel frequently but this will now affect me visiting my family in Canada again.
0 Replies

Rel256

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 12:34 am
@poppedlung,
Thanks for sharing I had a traumatic collapse about 3 weeks ago and was cleared to fly. Any thoughts on weight training and running? There is not too much guidance around the internet - I wonder how long untill the lung is completely hearted. I had the same thing as you with the needle and 24hr observation period.
0 Replies

Finchina8

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:04 pm
@doglover28,
Do you mind me asking what your Drs name is and contact phone number. I am have many problems and my Drs where I live keep telling me to just keep moving on with a partially collapsed lung. Yet, I have no energy! This is totally freaking me out and need a Dr who can treat me, then give me a proper plan of treatment. I
0 Replies

Nicktodd

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:34 am
Its been 26 years since both my lungs collasped. Got stabbed in the back. I still feel uncomfortable, always conscious of my breath. Sucks
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 10:10 pm
I think I had some lungproblems after the flu. It basically just takes time, maybe started walking one time per week, then everyday. Then I started jogging and now im pretty much recovered. But it's important not to listen to your head. Take care

/TooFriendly112
0 Replies

TerenceBlacker

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 04:05 am
@Wilso,
The various causes of collapsed lung are cigarette smoking, injury to chest cavity, and few lung diseases. Normally, recovery from collapsed lung can take one to two weeks.
0 Replies