Read this. You won't believe what your left brain can do

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:29 am
You won't believe what your left brain can do

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? yaeh, and we awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 11
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
THAT - is neat.
Funny, i was actually able to skip through it reading every 'word' just thinking..
"gosh- that is terrible spelling'
Laughing
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:04 am
This is mostly true, but a long uncommon word or an unfamiliar proper name would still be a problem. For example, ambidextrous or intercollegiate wouldn't work

aixotbumreds

iletatgrconiele
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:36 am
Plus it takes at least twice as long to read the jumbled version as it would to read clear text.

Still, it is an interesting trick that our brains can perform.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
BBB, it didn't take me any time at all to read that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:32 pm
Weird.

Also scary. Just think of all the things our brains are making up to fill gaps in understanding.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:53 pm
I took the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course about 30 years ago. One day they mixed up the order of the words in sentences we were speed reading. They were spelled correctly, just in the wrong order. Nobody in class noticed that the words were jumbled until the teacher had us look back at what we had just read.
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:25 pm
I've raed taht bofere, I gesus it's jsut bucasee you're ecxepntig waht you're rnedaig. Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:43 pm
Funny that even non-native English speakers like me can read that.

(Which might have something to do with my own spelling Embarrassed )
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(Which might have something to do with my own spelling Embarrassed )

Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:00 pm
Fascinating, BBB. The example given by equus was also interesting. The longer a word, the more difficult is becomes to understand it. Did the study say anything about longer words?

Walter, your spelling is better than that of most Americans, as is that of Francis. Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 12:09 pm
A lot of the rearrangements do not look so completely random...if the letters were rearranged in different ways, it would be much more difficult to read them. Also, their claims that the letters can be scrambled on the basis of only reading the words at a time is nonsense...it is clearly entirely context dependent. You NEED to have all those other small words surrounding the big words because you are already expecting to read the right words. The amount of letters in their original places is still very high when you have so many 2, 3 and 4 letter words that all have their first and last letters correct!
0 Replies