How can i fatten up my cat?

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:11 pm
I have a 19 year old maine coon cat who has lost much weight. I need to get him to gain weight immediately. Vet recommended but didn't say how. He is hyperthyroid and is on medication. Please help us with sugguestions. i will be 4-ever grateful. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 40,685 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed
No top replies

littlek

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
Aw, I like Maine Coons - 19 is quite an impressive age! I'd pour oil on his kibble. Actually, add any kind of fat to his kibble.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Is he still fastidious about his fur?
Try a little of the kitty nutriment
suppliments.
Its like ensure for cats. Your vet should have it . I love Coons, we lost our oldest one, Reebok, last winter. He could purr like a vibrating bed.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
Bacon.
At 19 he doesn't have to worry about high cholesterol.
0 Replies

sandler1

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:00 pm
oil or fat?
littlek wrote:
Aw, I like Maine Coons - 19 is quite an impressive age! I'd pour oil on his kibble. Actually, add any kind of fat to his kibble.

What kind of oil or fat do u recommend? Have u used this on your cat?
0 Replies

littlek

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:02 pm
I'd recommend olive oil, frankly. No, my cat has the opposite problem. He's diabetic and tends toward pudginess. But, when he's sick from complications of diabetes and not eating, I do add a little drizzle of olive oil.
0 Replies

sandler1

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:06 pm
fur and food supplements
farmerman wrote:
Is he still fastidious about his fur?
Try a little of the kitty nutriment
suppliments.
Its like ensure for cats. Your vet should have it . I love Coons, we lost our oldest one, Reebok, last winter. He could purr like a vibrating bed.

yes he grooms however i try to comb him often as well. I also just got something called "Nutri-Cal" by Tomlyn. it says it is a high calorie dietary supplement. is that what u mean? or do u know of something else?
0 Replies

Lady J

Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:11 am
NutriCal is an excellent additive and I would not hesitate to use it. I would also recommend wet food over dry as it has a higher calorie content than dry food and usually has a lot more oil. If your cat seems to be losing his appetite, you might check with your vet and see if he carries a food by Hill's called A/D. It is extremely palatable and will usually get even the hardest to feed cats back onto food.

Good luck with your Maine Coon. They surely are beautiful cats. 19 is a lot of years for a cat...give him anything he wants. Smile
0 Replies

sandler1

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:56 am
fatten up my cat
thanks for the info. can u only get hill's at a vet? do u think i have to limit the nutrical? do u know if there are other supplements that are better or are they all the same? someone wrote to me aabout vitacal, energel and nutri-gel.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:38 pm
Hi
Did he just up and stop eating, or has he always been fussy?

My Lulu was about 20 when within just a few days/couple of weeks decided nothing tasted good enough for the effort.

She had always been my little pudge ball and purr baby, and would eat a rock if you put gravy on it.

When Lulu and I had a private conversation about this, she told me this was her way of saying she was ready to move on.

It was so painful for me, but I loved her too much to force the issue.

Do you think maybe MC is trying to tell you something?
0 Replies

Lady J

Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:26 pm
Re: fatten up my cat
sandler1 wrote:
thanks for the info. can u only get hill's at a vet? do u think i have to limit the nutrical? do u know if there are other supplements that are better or are they all the same? someone wrote to me aabout vitacal, energel and nutri-gel.

The supplements you mentioned are all about the same. I don't remember for certain if each lists the actual calorie content of the product, but you can do a bit of research and get the phone numbers (they are usually 800 numbers) off the product on the store shelf before you buy it and call the manufacturer to see if they have that information and answer any other questions you may have. I would also follow the recommended dosages on the labels. You know...too much of a good thing may not be good after all kind of thing.

Unfortunately, the Hill's A/D diet is only sold at veterinarians. Hill's of course is the company/family that started the Science Diet line of pet foods. Many years ago, they sold the Science Diet line to Colgate Palmolive who in turn distributes Science Diet to Pet Stores. The Hill's family kept their vet specific line of foods for sale through veterinarians only. It's their prescription line, although you don't need a prescription for the A/D food itself. Granted it is more expensive because of this, but well worth it if appetite is a problem.

Good luck with you baby and keep us posted, please!
0 Replies

familytimerags

Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:15 pm
Lady J wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the Hill's A/D diet is only sold at veterinarians.

Hi, new to the forum, just wanted to add, that Hill's A/D works great for putting weight on cats and kittens. It is sold at Petsmart, but under prescription only. If you have a good relationship with your vet, you should be able to call and have them fax over the prescription to your local Petsmart. Petco may also carry it as well, though I am not sure.

Good luck!
Lord Ellpus

Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:28 pm
Maine coon cat?....What wonderful names you give your breeds over there. I Have never heard of this breed before.
And 19 years old. That is indeed a good age.

Can anyone post a photo of a Maine coon cat?, as I would love to see what one looks like.
0 Replies

Eva

Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:05 pm
Read all about it here.

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

They're gorgeous, long-haired, good tempered cats...and very large!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:46 am
Thank you Eva, they are beautiful, aren't they.

We have a very similar breed over here, but lighter in colour. I know this, because the lady over the road has three, and they all take turns in sucking my pond dry during the summer. Thirsty little blighters.

The biggest cat I ever knew, was the one that we had when we were first married. What started off as a delicate little kitten, turned into a bloody great thing, all muscle and the scourge of the neighbourhood.
His original name was "Gremlin", which didnt seem to suit him after he gained the first two hundred pounds.
He eventually became either "Big Tom" or "Fat Cat", but when he got old and pompous, we reverted to his formal name, Mr Gremlin Underbelly.

He is the only cat I know that has managed to get firmly wedged whilst halfway through a cat flap. He was not amused.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:50 pm
We had a huge orange tomcat named Rusty when I was growing up. He weighed about 21 lbs. His head was the size of a large grapefruit, and he was over 36" long (sorry, don't know British equivalents Sad) front-paw-to-tip-of-tail when he stretched out on the floor. People used to ask us if he was part bobcat. (We said yes, of course. Wink) My father, the biggest joker of our bunch, would then get a serious, worried look on his face and tell them the cat was only 5 months old, and we were afraid of what it might do when it grew up. The cat could terrify a lot of our friends just walking through the room after that. But it certainly was fun! Especially when they would nervously ask us if we had considered giving it to the zoo.

Dad referred to our big, spoiled baby Rusty as "Killer" around unsuspecting folk, too. Which made us die laughing. Rusty was a real softie. He'd grumble and fuss every time we picked him up, but he'd be purring under his breath. Just liked to pretend he was a grouch. The only time we heard him growl was when one of us would shout at one of the others. That upset him, and he'd always defend the one being yelled at. It was pretty hard to stay mad when that big fluffball started strutting around. He broke up a lot of fights, as I remember.

Rusty didn't like most people-food, but you could wake him up out of a sound sleep by passing a green olive under his nose. They drove him wild!

We loved him with all our hearts. He lived to be 16 and died after I left for college. I cried for a week when I heard. In fact, I've shed a tear or two just writing this. He was one of a kind.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:25 pm
I've fallen totally in love with the Maine Coon breed, after accidentally adopting a Maine Coon from our local Animal Control shelter.

They are HUGE, pouffy, and very affectionate.

Fish Oil might work for your aged baby: Cats love it! It's also relatively cheap, requires NO prescription, and is full of "good" fats.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:20 pm
Some good advice from everyone here. I got my cat to fatten up by adding a can of food everyday. I use Friskies brand but I think most any can cat food will do. It has a higher calorie count than dry, but keep a full bowl of dry around too.
0 Replies

punigirl1

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 01:54 pm
My cat is 13 years old and still thinks she is a kitten at times. I am trying to fatten her, Sassy, by using dry and can food but that does not seem to be working. She has been on both since she was a kitten always have both bowls always full. I will try the bacon and nutical that you have suggested. Someone also told me cream cheese or sour cream can not remember.... I was wondering if the heat could have something to do with it. She likes to go outside for about 30 minutes out of the day but I make sure she has water and is in the shade so What could it be. She seems to be fine and eates like normal but she is so skinny...... Help!! I also had a mancoon his name was Bandit he looked like a raccoon from the back. Was large in the paws, face and body. Long black and gray hair and everyone thought he was courgeous. Someone stole him from us and I still have his picture on my refrigerator.....
0 Replies

yarbourough

Wed 25 Oct, 2017 03:34 pm
@familytimerags,
z d by vet hills is for sensitivities but that may be different. they all come wet and dry and have royal canine treats to complement the food

0 Replies