Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
How many billable hours are you getting per week, Tico?

I suppose that depends on the week. Why are you interested?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
revel wrote:
Don't you think the CIA was aware of what you are aware of when they recommended her case to be investigated because of the revealing of her identity?

It doesn't really matter, her status was classified, the conspirators can be prosecuted under the Espionage Act. Rove, Luskin and Tico don't get to choose which laws Fitzgerald is going to prosecute.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:13 am
Why Miller Won't Talk

Quote:
one in the Times building is on the same page when it comes to Judy Miller. The official story the paper is sticking to is that Miller is a heroic martyr, sacrificing her freedom in the name of journalistic integrity.

But a very different scenario is being floated in the halls. Here it is: It's July 6, 2003, and Joe Wilson's now famous op-ed piece appears in the Times, raising the idea that the Bush administration has "manipulate[d]" and "twisted" intelligence "to exaggerate the Iraqi threat." Miller, who has been pushing this manipulated, twisted, and exaggerated intel in the Times for months, goes ballistic. Someone is using the pages of her own paper to call into question the justification for the war -- and, indirectly, much of her reporting. The idea that intelligence was being fixed goes to the heart of Miller's credibility. So she calls her friends in the intelligence community and asks, Who is this guy? She finds out he's married to a CIA agent. She then passes on the info about Mrs. Wilson to Scooter Libby (Newsday has identified a meeting Miller had on July 8 in Washington with an "unnamed government official"). Maybe Miller tells Rove too -- or Libby does. The White House hatchet men turn around and tell Novak and Cooper. The story gets out.

This is why Miller doesn't want to reveal her "source" at the White House -- because she was the source. Sure, she first got the info from someone else, and the odds are she wasn't the only one who clued in Libby and/or Rove (the State Dept. memo likely played a role too)… but, in this scenario, Miller certainly wasn't an innocent writer caught up in the whirl of history. She had a starring role in it. This also explains why Miller never wrote a story about Plame, because her goal wasn't to write a story, but to get out the story that cast doubts on Wilson's motives. Which Novak did.

This version of events has divided the Times into two camps: those who want to learn everything about this story, and those who want to learn everything as long as it doesn't downgrade the heroic status of their "colleague" Judy Miller. And then there are the schizophrenics. Frank Rich is spending his summer in the second camp, while at the same time writing some of the most powerful and brilliant stuff about the scandal: "This case is about Iraq, not Niger. The real victims are the American people, not the Wilsons. The real culprit… is not Mr. Rove but the gang that sent American sons and daughters to war on trumped up grounds… That's why the stakes are so high: this scandal is about the unmasking of an ill-conceived war."

But this unmasking -- if it is to be complete -- has to include Judy Miller and the part she played in the mess in Iraq. Of course, the division over Miller is nothing new… it predates her transformation into media martyr by many months. For an early look at this riff, check out Howard Kurtz' May 2003 reporting on the way Miller ferociously fought to keep Ahmad Chalabi, her top source on WMD, to herself and the anger it caused at the paper. And also the paper's extraordinary mea culpa from May 2004, in which its editors admitted that the Times' reporting on Iraq "was not as rigorous as it should have been" -- yet steadfastly refused to even mention the less-than-rigorous reporter whose byline appeared on 4 of the 6 stories the editors singled out as being particularly egregious. "It looks," the Times' public admission concluded, "as if we, along with the administration, were taken in." And yet just two month earlier, Times Executive Editor Bill Keller called Miller, who was one of the main reporters "taken in" a "smart, well-sourced, industrious and fearless reporter." Nothing about her less than "rigorous" reporting. Nothing about her reliance on Chalabi being less than "well-sourced."

Any discussion of Miller's actions in the Plame-Rove-Libby-Gonzalez-Card scandal must not leave out the key role she played in cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq and in hyping the WMD threat. Re-reading some of her pre-war reporting today, it's hard not to be disgusted by how inaccurate and pumped up it turned out to be. For chapter and verse, check out Slate's Jack Shafer. For the money quote on her mindset, look to her April 2003 appearance on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, where, following up on her blockbuster front page story about an Iraqi scientist and his claims that Iraq had destroyed all its WMD just before the war started, Miller said the scientist was more than a "smoking gun," he was the "silver bullet" in the hunt for WMD. The "silver bullet" later turned out to be another blank -- and the scientist turned out to be a military intelligence official.

Amazingly, however, even as her reporting has been debunked -- and her sources discredited -- Miller has steadfastly refused to apologize for her role in misleading the public in the lead up to the war. Indeed, in an interview with the author of Bush's Brain, James Moore, she, in the words of Moore, "remained righteously indignant, unwilling to accept that she had goofed in the grandest of fashions", telling him: "I was proved ******* right."

As recently as March 2005, in an appearance at Berkeley, she stubbornly refused to express regret. Indeed, she showed that she shares a key attitude with the Bush administration: an unwillingness to admit mistakes when faced with new realities. She even compared herself to the president, saying that she was getting the same information he was getting… and suggested that since he hadn't apologized, why should she? Maybe she's angling for the Tenet treatment: promote faulty intel, get a Medal of Freedom. Miller also echoed the words of Don Rumsfeld ("You go to war with the Army you have") when she justified her flawed reporting on WMD by saying "You go with what you've got". Really? Wouldn't it be better to wait until what you've got is right?

It's nice that Bill Keller is visiting Judy in jail giving updates about how hard this is for her, having to be away from her family and friends. But it would be even nicer if we'd had some acknowledgement from Miller of her complicity in sending 138,000 American soldiers away from their family and friends. And, unlike Miller, they won't be returning home in October. Indeed, as of today, 1,785 of them won't be returning home at all.

This story gets deeper with every twist and revelation, including the reminder (via Podhoretz) that Fitzgerald had a previous run in with Miller over her actions in a national security case, and the speculation (via Jeralyn at Talk Left) that Fitzgerald is considering seeking to put Miller under criminal contempt, rather than the civil contempt she's now under.

But one thing is inescapable: Miller -- intentionally or unintentionally -- worked hand in glove in helping the White House propaganda machine (for a prime example, check out this Newsweek story on how the aluminum tubes tall tale went from a government source to Miller to page one of the New York Times to Cheney and Rice going on the Sunday shows to confirm the story to Bush pushing that same story at the UN).

So, once again, the question arises (and you can't have it both ways, Frank): when it comes to this scandal, do you want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth or do you want the truth -- except for what Judy Miller wants to keep to herself?

Posted at 08:17 PM | email this post to a friend | permalink | comments
| read all posts by Arianna Huffington
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
revel wrote:
Don't you think the CIA was aware of what you are aware of when they recommended her case to be investigated because of the revealing of her identity?

One would expect they were aware of a lot more than I am aware of when they recommended her case to be investigated.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
Chrissee wrote:
revel wrote:

It doesn't really matter, her status was classified, the conspirators can be prosecuted under the Espionage Act. Rove, Luskin and Tico don't get to choose which laws Fitzgerald is going to prosecute.

You sure like to make arguments for me that I've never made.

Chrissee wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
How many billable hours are you getting per week, Tico?

I suppose that depends on the week. Why are you interested?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

I'll ask again: Why are you interested?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:14 am
And Chrissee, next time you want to post some liberal screed to this thread, please check one of the many posts from BBB, because there is a good chance she's already posted it. Perhaps you thought Huffington's words just can't be read enough?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:21 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
revel wrote:

Tico
Quote:

Huh? I was responding to Revel, I ignore most of your posts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:22 am
Ticomaya wrote:
And Chrissee, next time you want to post some liberal screed to this thread, please check one of the many posts from BBB, because there is a good chance she's already posted it. Perhaps you thought Huffington's words just can't be read enough?

Hey Chrissee, Is it hard to take admonitions from someone who thinks
Ah-nold is a good symbol for an avatar?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:33 am
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Did you post a private message by mistake?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
Chrissee wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
revel wrote:

Huh? I was responding to Revel, I ignore most of your posts.

Oh, if you only would. I really do need to remember to ignore you more often, but it's difficult when you continue to post such factually incorrect drivel.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:43 am
goodfielder wrote:
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Did you post a private message by mistake?

I think not. It is an interesting post coming from someone who has selected Spike Lee as his avatar. Perhaps snood resembles Spike as much as I resemble the Governator.

http://www.geektimes.com/michael/site/archive/2003/05/images/spike-lee-why-milk.jpg
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
Tico, your drivel is not only non-factual but irrelevant as well.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:12 am
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

It is not the Ahnold avatar itself, it is THAT appalling avatar, smug, mean-spirited, smoking a cigar. It speaks volumes that that is the image wants to project.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
I always figured that a ultra-manly avatar posing with an ultra-male symbol is, well, compensating for something, don't you think?

If only Ahnold was in a sportscar or hummer, the image would be complete.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:25 pm
Chrissee wrote:
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

It is not the Ahnold avatar itself, it is THAT appalling avatar, smug, mean-spirited, smoking a cigar. It speaks volumes that that is the image wants to project.

Calm, confident, self-assured, capable and determined .... makes you angry, huh?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
Quote:
July 29, 2005, 8:55 a.m.
A Third (or Fourth, or Fifth) Source?
Why is the Plamegate spotlight so narrowly focused on Rove?

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:28 pm
Why is the Plamegate spotlight so narrowly focused on Rove?

Because it all his fault. Not Plamegate, our current situation, our present and our future, it's all his doing and his fault. Without him, there would be no GW Bush in the White House. It's his fault. Now, to the less then half of the voters who voted for him the first time and the puny majority who voted for him the second time, I say you been conned by one of the best.
You've been had, you've been hornswoggled, dipsy-doddled and ripped off. Don't worry, you'll come to see it clear soon, all victims of con artists do. Some hang on hoping and some live in denial for years, but they all know they've been had.

So it would be nice to see Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House, it would. Do I wish him ill tidings? Yes, but justice too. I want him to have severe migraines and be indicted. I want some unknown kind of crusty boil to form itself on his neck and I want him to go to trial over these matters and lose. I want him to have the shingles and swollen ankles, the gout and double vision, and receive a just sentence and a large fine.

Then I never want to hear about him again until I read about the former aide to a President dying alone and forgotten!!

I hope I have made myself clear.

I think your other source is Steven Hadley.

Joe(Condi had to shut him up a couple of times.)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:43 pm
Thank you, Joe, for clarifying your stance with regard to this matter. You shall not be accused of feigning objectivity in the search for truth.

Tico(we all know where Joe stands)Maya
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
Tico,

There is a large difference between the REASON that the CIA and DoJ started the investigation and the possible reasons that it continues today.

The CIA has stated that it informed the DoJ that a possible crime was committed when the name of a undercover CIA agent was revealed. The DoJ concurred and started the investigation. Fitzgerald may have rejected that by this time because he can't meet the "intent" part of the law but the only probable way to start the investigation is to meet the "covert" status based on what the CIA reported as a possible crime.

At this point, Fitzgerald could be investigating conspiracy, obstruction, lying to Federal investigators etc. But there is no way to make an argument to start the investigation if you can't come close to meeting the covert status of the law.

So Tico if I argue for something does that mean I am against unrelated items? If I question the existence of something would that mean I am really against it when I refuse to address a list of items that show it to exist?

Until you can explain away my list Tico you don't have much of a question there. It is unreasonable because you can't show reason why you think the question has any validity.

As I said originally on page 82, and which has been mentioned several times since then:
Quote:
I have also heard that Plame was "outed" by Aldrich Ames back in 1994, so she was brought back to the States and given a desk job. If that's accurate, that would likely mean she was not sent overseas again.

Quote:
Kristof said the CIA brought Plame back to Washington in 1994 because the agency suspected her undercover security had been compromised by turncoat spy Aldrich Ames.

Quote:

Quote:
The law defines a "covert agent" as someone working undercover overseas, or who has done so in the last five years. Plame had operated under non-official cover, but was outed by CIA traitor Aldrich Ames, and has been manning a desk at CIA headquarters since 1997.

It is a valid question.

Interesting how none of your quotes refer directly to CIA. THe CIA DIRECTLY made the decision to recommend a criminal investigation.

Your argument Tico seems to be that if any Joe Schmoe disputes something we should take their questions seriously. Should we have taken seriously the questions of every war proterster leading up to this war?

Bush almost choked on a pretzel. There were articles written about how he was drinking in order to do that. SHould we take them seriously?

There is a difference between an INFORMED decision like the CIA did and an UNINFORMED question like you are proposing. What evidence do you have of the CIA bringing Plame back because her identity was revealed? It looks like you don't have any other than a statement by a RW pundit that doesn't have access to classified information. The overwhelming information from those that SHOULD know all lead to the same conclusion.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:58 pm
parados wrote:
Interesting how none of your quotes refer directly to CIA. THe CIA DIRECTLY made the decision to recommend a criminal investigation.

Your argument Tico seems to be that if any Joe Schmoe disputes something we should take their questions seriously. Should we have taken seriously the questions of every war proterster leading up to this war?

Bush almost choked on a pretzel. There were articles written about how he was drinking in order to do that. SHould we take them seriously?

You and your ilk are of the mind that Rove should be terminated right now, and he should be imprisoned for his role in the leak of information that resulted in Valerie Plame, undercover operative for the CIA, being "outed." It is important to know whether what was done was a crime. Therefore, it is important to examine the crime which you think was violated. It is this analysis that has resulted in the question whether Plame qualifies as a "covert agent" under the IIPA, and the question that has caused you to pucker.

I don't follow your summary of what my "argument" is. I have asked a simple question ... your dogged refusal to admit that the question remains unanswered as of now, and my attempts to explain this to you (and others) has apparently resulted in your (and others) faulty belief that I am making an argument, when I'm not. The only argument, I suppose, attributable to me is that one should take pause and assess the facts as we know them to be before jumping to the conclusion that a violation of the IIPA has occurred. You are content to rush to that judgment .... I am merely pointing out that you are doing so without all relevant facts at your disposal.

Quote:
There is a difference between an INFORMED decision like the CIA did and an UNINFORMED question like you are proposing. What evidence do you have of the CIA bringing Plame back because her identity was revealed? It looks like you don't have any other than a statement by a RW pundit that doesn't have access to classified information. The overwhelming information from those that SHOULD know all lead to the same conclusion.

The only "evidence" I have is a report that she was brought back in 1997 because of Ames. I do not claim that it is accurate, I merely throw it out there. I take my Kristoff with a grain of salt. But do you have any evidence to suggest it is inaccurate, or are you simply discounting it. Don't you think that the CIA would keep that sort of information classified -- you know, along with the info on whether Plame has served abroad in the 5 years leading up to the leak?
0 Replies