Torn between two jobs, feeling like a fool.....

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:38 am
Although you have problems and frustations galore where you work now, you do love the team - your friends and the work itself.

The new job has the advantage of being in a better location but how do you know you will get along as well with the new team and that management there will be any better or effective than what you've already got?

Maybe if the new job was offering more money? Is there any way they would consider a bit more? If they know you are weighing your options they might try some incentive to lure you away.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
The stickler for me would be the actual work challenge. Though a walking commute would be lovely, if you really love being on the cutting edge and making such a huge contribution, and you don't believe you could do it at the new place, then maybe staying put a while longer would be better.

However, it's also possible that, just because you're that good, you could do something similar with the new group at the new place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:12 am
Heeven wrote:
Although you have problems and frustations galore where you work now, you do love the team - your friends and the work itself.

The new job has the advantage of being in a better location but how do you know you will get along as well with the new team and that management there will be any better or effective than what you've already got?

Maybe if the new job was offering more money? Is there any way they would consider a bit more? If they know you are weighing your options they might try some incentive to lure you away.

Exactly. Hence the conflict...waaaaaah!

Naw, they cannot consider more money - what I am hoping is they may permit me to work a couple of cases at my old team a week (mebbe an afternoon?). This would benefit new work because I would become adept, and able to train others, in the method we are learning in my old team - (and we co-work cases, so my co-worker could handle between session dramas) and old team in that they would maintain the ability to through-put some extra cases in what will be a major research project.

We will see.

That method was introduced to the team by me, through some study I did, so it is a bit like partly my baby - waaaaah!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:15 am
FreeDuck wrote:
The stickler for me would be the actual work challenge. Though a walking commute would be lovely, if you really love being on the cutting edge and making such a huge contribution, and you don't believe you could do it at the new place, then maybe staying put a while longer would be better.

However, it's also possible that, just because you're that good, you could do something similar with the new group at the new place.

Sigh - indeed.

I would be looking at moving the expertise my old team has to new team - trouble being I have not yet mastered the therapy - it is a work-in-progress for all of us - but a couple of folk are well ahead of me, cos I did that damned secondment that worked out so badly when they were all getting moving.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:19 am
I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that your present levels of stress may have may your immune system more vulernable to spider venom.

A shorter commute to work--with built-in exercise possibilities--is less stressful. Remember, the price of gas can only go higher this year. Also the shorter the commuting time, the greater the private time.

Children are just as heart-tugging as adolescents, but children have fewer roadblocks and attitudes than teenagers do.

Rot dripping from the highest levels makes for stressful working conditions.

Change can be energising.

Obviously you are a woman who would survive gloriously in either job. From your descriptions the new job may have less support from your peers, but it would also have less aggro.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:41 am
Noddy makes an excellent point. Perhaps, when talking to the person who is offering the job, you could express your reservations with regard to the kind of breakthrough work you are doing. Maybe she/he could reassure you as to whether you will have the same opportunities there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm
Noddy said all the things I was thinking as I read along.

Walking more - fantastic!

Friends are friends, regardless of the work situation. The professional development thing is something you can sort out - especially when you're the new flavour <a great time for making that type of demand/request/suggestion>.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:38 pm
Yeah - good points Beth and Noddy.

Given how nonexistent my immune system is right now, I must say that I am a bit concerned about my ability to handle the stress of such a big move - but, it might be better in the long run.....

Lol - I should have agreed to become the Adelaide mistress of that nice Pakistani opal dealer, who asked me to all those years ago - I might be able to work part time!

Man, he was rich - and perfectly nice...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:58 pm
see? spider bites can kill ya. Especially the Ozamandian ones.

I enjoy the twisting and dangling from the rope that you are putting yourself through. Will you be in a position to make even bigger decisions?

I suggest that you investigate aMeyers Briggs "workplace personality program" It can help you actually use your decision making skills to make this decision.

You get no help from me cause I dont believe anybody can give valid advice ,all we can do is be supportive.
I smell that your decision is already made. I have it post-it'd on the base of my panel.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:27 pm
Deb

I just found this thread. This is an interesting development! Very Happy

A couple of thoughts, off the top of my head:

Remind yourself that they are not only interviewing you for the job, YOU are checking out THEM, too! Even if you get it, you can aways say no if that seems the best course.

The city is definitely appealing! Did you say within walking distance? I'd LOVE that! Very Happy The other thing, as Noddy mentioned, is the rising cost of fuel in Oz. So if you'll be on a similar wage to now, this could well turn out to be a substantial wage rise down the track! Very Happy

I know your current job is very stressful at times. That has to impact on your health. A possible reduction of stress is not to be sneezed at! Very Happy Health-wise which job is looking like the best long-term proposition to you?

IF you did swap jobs there'd be a good chance that you'd retain your valued friends from your present job. Yes?

Keep us posted & all the best of luck to you, Deb! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:02 am
farmerman wrote:
see? spider bites can kill ya. Especially the Ozamandian ones.

I enjoy the twisting and dangling from the rope that you are putting yourself through. Will you be in a position to make even bigger decisions?

I suggest that you investigate aMeyers Briggs "workplace personality program" It can help you actually use your decision making skills to make this decision.

You get no help from me cause I dont believe anybody can give valid advice ,all we can do is be supportive.
I smell that your decision is already made. I have it post-it'd on the base of my panel.

Oh - quickly!!!

Tell me what decision I made!!!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm
[quote="dlowan]

Naw, they cannot consider more money

![/quote]

And why is that? My dear, if more money will make this job a go, then by all means ask for more money. You deserve it, and they obviously want you. Don't sell yourself short, dear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:18 pm
Lol - the salary is fixed by forces greater than the employer or I.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:58 pm
What kind of a place do you live in anyway? Oz is stranger than I tought Wink
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:14 pm
hmmmm, interesting, interesting.

i'm with deb. friends will stay friends whether you work at your current job or not. if the new job offers enough self - realizing stimuli, go for it. you can use a break and it sounds it would be a bit easier on you than the current job. you'll get the vibe on tuesday, go with your instinct.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:37 pm
deb, I will release my post-it to the world on Friday the 7th.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
DAMN YOUR BLACK HEART!!!!!!

Lol!
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:23 am
Maybe the way to decide this is to concentrate on the clients. You will be happy ( if not without regrets) in either job so which group needs you most.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:06 am
Kidz be kidz, Gozmo - there is no difference in need between the two groups of kids.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:43 am
So the nature of both jobs is pretty much the same, Deb? Just different locations?
0 Replies