I'm scared to die.. is that bad?

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
Fear of death might be a reason to inquire. It is not a sufficient reason for belief.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:33 am
No argument from me there. I think if you ask most christians they will tell you their faith is more than just fear of death. Yet just having hope can make a huge change in a person's life and how they see the world as opposed to hopelessness.
Rosie O'Donell once asked Katie Curic (news anchor) how she was able to report the news each day and not become depressed by it because it all seemed so overwhelmingly bad.
Katie Curic told her that she believed that no matter how bad it got she believed and trusted that God that would make everything all right in the end. That was her belief , her faith.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:33 pm
Dys, from across the room just said "if some woman don't kill me, I'll live til I die, I live for that"
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
Bookmarking. Interesting.
0 Replies

chryshaila

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:18 am
Please dont be scared of something youve already done many times. You never really die or even really forget who you are, until you come back and thats temporary. When you pass over you will feel like you are coming back to reality, not moving away from it. You can always choose to come back to Earth and do it all differently next time!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
chryshaila wrote:
Please dont be scared of something youve already done many times. You never really die or even really forget who you are, until you come back and thats temporary. When you pass over you will feel like you are coming back to reality, not moving away from it. You can always choose to come back to Earth and do it all differently next time!
Hi chrys; Welcome to the forum. No doubt you will find many unusual ideas expressed here.

I've always been fascinated by those who remember their past lives. Could it be that if I don't remember any of mine, I might never have been born before?
0 Replies

curlgurl

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:02 am
its normal to be afraid to die its misterios and unnkown but i wasnt so afraid after i read embrassed by the light. it tells about near death experiences. some people said dyeing was quiet pleasant
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:31 am
People who have had NDE say they will never fear death. It's not something to be afraid of unless circumstances put you in a lot of pain. The fear of pain may be understandable but never the fear of death.

Death is going back home; going back to where we came from; being with the Light.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:26 am
xingu wrote:
People who have had NDE say they will never fear death. It's not something to be afraid of unless circumstances put you in a lot of pain. The fear of pain may be understandable but never the fear of death.

Death is going back home; going back to where we came from; being with the Light.
Either that, or returning to dust.
0 Replies

StinkPot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:37 pm
Hello everyone. i am in my mid 20s and as of recently (past 5-6 days) the thought of death has been hanging on my conscience all day long. i keep visualizing not having certain family members not being here anymore, even visualizing myself dead... and being scared shitless... each and every time i think about it (all day, when i say all day.. there is abuot 3 hours in a day total, that i think about something different) i recently graduated college and dont have a job yet, so im thinking this could possibly have an effect on me. that is what my mother and girlfriend has been saying. but it makes me sick every time i think about death, and the fear of not being on this earth anymore frightens me. As i sit here typing this, i am sick to my stomach thinking about it... when i talk to my mother and girlfriend about it, the main thing that comes up is depression and i should stop thinking about it... get a hobby or something. (even though i have been doing some origami, puzzles, while job searching online) but most of the time i am doing that, it still weighs on my mind sooooo badly. i know this board is a place that everyone has their opinion...so, i was raised catholic, however i dont believe there is a God. i want to start believeing in order to get me through this, but i really need help and dont know where to start.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:50 pm
everybody is scared of death....no one wants to die
but thats how it is and we cant change that and we have to do it by ourselves, just like how we first came into this world.
I think the fear is not knowing what its going to be like.....but 'life' is such a precious gift we were all so damn lucky to have been concieved in the first place, so we should all make the most of it....so forget about this death issue, you are just wasting time and go and live your life.

...and no Im not religious either.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:37 pm
Hi StinkPot;
Welcome to a2k. You are not alone in this, so hang on. I'll be back to this thread later. Take care.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:30 pm
Stinkpot, let me ask you if you think that perhaps your anxiety about death reflects the facts that you have come to the end of your college schooling (a kind of death) and you have no clear perceivable future (i.e., no job).

Remember, if you don't some day die you will be a monster, not human at all. Like all humans, you were born to die, among other things It's part of your very nature. I'm convinced that after-life will be exactly like before-birth, no problem at all. But we all DO make a problem of it now and then.

I feel that one of our life tasks is to learn to embrace the reality of our nature, including our inevitable death. It's good to live well, and it's good to die well. I wish you peace and freedom from this irrational yet normal fear.
0 Replies

melanie x0x

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:01 am
scared
im also reallllyy scared. im only 16 and i get the worst anxiety and panic attacks. i start shaking and crying alot. i dont want to die i cant imagine not being on this earth. i really want to believe there is life after death but sometimes its really hard. idk im jus petrified and idk what to do =( Sad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:23 am
hello melanie

welcome to a2k

i understand your anxiety, i don't worry about the afterkife or all that i tend to think about the things i'll miss if i die

a new album from a fave band, book from a fave writer that kind of stuff

here's something to think about, the difference between dying and death

e e cummings is a little hard to read at first glance, just follow the punctuation

dying is fine)but Death

dying is fine)but Death

?o
baby
i

wouldn't like

Death if Death
were
good:for

when(instead of stopping to think)you

begin to feel of it,dying
's miraculous
why?be

cause dying is

perfectly natural;perfectly
putting
it mildly lively(but

Death

is strictly
scientific
& artificial &

evil & legal)

we thank thee
god
almighty for dying
(forgive us,o life!the sin of Death

ee cummings
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:50 am
Stinkpot, I know what you mean.

I'm starting to think that fear of death takes hold when we haven't done what we need to. You still have the sense to look at the fear of death as managable and in your control: so you will be fine!

I see the family members that I love with heads full of grey hairs and less than supple skin that I remember from memories, and it hurts sometimes. It seizes my heart with pure panic. Yes, they will die within a period of time that I can count on the calendar.

This means, to me, that I better get moving. There is a deadline to this life!
To have finally found a man who I can actually feel at peace with and open my heart to, and then to spot some grey hairs peeking out and the slightly receeding hairline: it scares the **** out of me. What about if I lose him? What about declining health and loss and not being able to enjoy what we enjoy right now?
Don't want it taken away before we have done what we want to do.

Maybe because I have seen my share of death early on, and lost important people, my biggest fear regarding death is that it will be 'early' in my time clock!

What I mean is, my fear is of a life that is cut short. That plant that is cut down as a sprout. The sprouts that are starved because they have been around so much death, and not around enough life.

Geez, I hope this makes sense. My fear isn't death so much: it is another moment, one unit of time like taking a breath. We can handle it!

The fear is in losing something that I am not ready to have taken away. Unfinished business.

I struggle a lot with the concept of justice. Not everyone gets the same shares outta life, and that is hard for me to accept fully. Somehow I want justice. <grim>
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:01 am
I wanted to add.

One of my most referred to books is by Surya Das, a jewish boy who grew up to choose to become a lama. "Awakening the buddha within".

Something that I often think about is what he said about Tibetan buddhists and their practice of keeping death uppermost in their minds. Meditating on it, even some practices which could seem rather morbid to westerners like reflecting on a corpse.

It has always struck a chord with me. I can't help but understand that in my own way, being somewhat 'morbid' i suppose myself, in the sense that being in the midst of destruction and death is when 'alive' has meant even anything to me. It's taken and is taking a lot of work for me not to need that 'chaos' fuel and yet to feel alive and able to feel/appreciate life. Guess you could say i was or am numbed. Lots of us are.

It is the urgency and how we are lulled into our own tales of how we really aren't going to die. I know I do it. I know it. Sipping my coffee and off to work - usually disregard the fact that this life is not forever and that I have time to waste and dilly dally. It's easy to do.

Very hard, sometimes, to not get lulled and to live with a true alertness to the emergency really that is this life. Do it now cause you might not get the chance to later - honestly, truly - and yet be in perfect control of your emotions like fear and panick. Life ain't easy!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:06 am
flushd wrote:
I struggle a lot with the concept of justice. Not everyone gets the same shares outta life, and that is hard for me to accept fully. Somehow I want justice.

It was only when I realized that there IS no justice in the world, was when I became a fully functioning, adult human being. A young person wants certainty, happy endings, and the good guy winning. As one matures, we realize that is an illusion, that life does not always work like that. I believe it was only when I understood that things do not always turn out well, and that sometimes it's the stinkers of the world who end up with the brass ring, that I was able to live my life with contentment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:23 am
In my view, we only get one go around. If you spend all your time fearfully, you will at the end have wasted it all. Find something constructive to do with yourself, and there will be no depression and no time to cower against the inevitable.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:35 am
Yes, Flushd, I think it's largely about "unfinished business." What is it the poet said about our need to warm BOTH hands before the fire of life?
0 Replies