Most Creative Time of Day?

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
I'm doing various writing/ editing sorts of things these days. It's fun, but is reminding me of something that has been true since college. I can muddle through and do OK at any given time, but at about 9:00 PM, everything snaps into focus and I take off. What is unfortunate is that the optimum stretch for me is about 9:00 PM to about 3:00 AM, and in my current life as a mom that just isn't practical.

Do you have a specific time of day when you are more creative? When is it, if so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,299 • Replies: 26
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
Same as yours.

Sadly, my turgid nine to five schedule dooms me to eternal not at my bestness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:09 am
Yeah. It's maddening. What's been happening over and over is I go apeshit for an hour or two in the evening, and am full of ideas and pretty much have to be physically dragged from the computer as I say "I just have to get this one more thing down!!" and then I toss and turn as I try to go to sleep and look forward eagerly to waking up early the next morning and sitting down and finally having time to do all of this stuff, and bound down the stairs, and take up my station, and... pfft. Nothin'. I gawp at the notes I took last night and type a few words... and come back to A2K.

Sigh.

I have some more mundane stuff too, that doesn't require creativity, I think I'll delegate according to how boring it is. Boring stuff, morning. Interesting/ creative stuff, night.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
Lol - clients: morning, clients:afternoon.
Dramas and crises: morning, dramas and crises: afternoon, paperwork, putting crap on computer - both far more important in officialdoms eyes than clients and crises and dramas: never.

Night: stuffed.

There hasta be more than this......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
I just get going around 5 pm, which has been pretty inconvenient re my life over the years, what with 9-5 or longer jobs. Grumble.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:06 pm
4 am to 9 am then I really fade away.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 06:34 pm
I am at my best when I am furthest from my notebook.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:32 pm
That goes without saying.

<looks at the clock>

I feel like I should be saying something witty, but my brain is rather sodden yet.

I'm getting stuff done, though, going much faster than when I attempted it earlier today.

dlowan, that all sounds very familiar.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
Whoo-hoo, I'm smokin'!!! Got more done in the last 45 minutes than in 4 hours of toil earlier today.

Sigh.

Can't the world's schedule be rearranged according to my circadian rhythms?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
So, that is about five in the afternoon your time? See, whaddidIsay!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:29 pm
Now? It's 10:29 PM EST. Things started stirring 9-ish, kicked into overdrive around 9:30.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:47 pm
Oops, that was a brain fart....

Still, you would have started perking a bit earlier...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:48 pm
Yeah. Definitely better at 5:00 PM than 9:00 AM, no question.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 01:50 pm
I'm a morning person, not so much by metabolism but because my early mornings are free from interruption.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:33 pm
Re: Most Creative Time of Day?
sozobe wrote:

Do you have a specific time of day when you are more creative? When is it, if so?

Same as yours.

I don't think there's a specific "creative time", just peak energy times and creativity is something that highlights the difference.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:47 pm
One of the advantages of the early hours of the day is that the world hasn't had a chance to intrude yet.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:24 pm
When I had to write for deadlines, I always worked from 8 or 9 a.m. till lunch, then rested, played, recreated Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
That sounds nice.

I can't do it. Or I can, but I get exasperated because it just goes so $%#! slowly, and I can do the exact same thing in a fraction of the time if I do it later.

I've settled in to doing stuff about 9 to 11 at night before bed, works OK. I flail away a bit whenever, chip away at it so I have less to do at night, but inevitably on a 6-page assignment, for example, I take an hour to do the first page in the morning and then an hour to do the next five pages at night. Pff.

The energy thing makes sense.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:40 pm
It seems famous writers have very different ways of working - I went to a talk about PG Wodehouse and he always had a strict routine for everything, breakfast, work, lunch, walk, cocktail, dinner ...
and yet others find the night much more inspiring, and creative meetings held in the evenings are said to allow people more imaginative rein.
Guess it depends on your bodyclock.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 04:45 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
One of the advantages of the early hours of the day is that the world hasn't had a chance to intrude yet.

Noddy- You DO have a wonderful way with words. I really agree with you. I love it when I feel completely alone in the world.
0 Replies