Can Souls in Hell be Forgiven and Saved and Go to Heaven?

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:02 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:

I don't think you understand. I've been where your at and won't go back. But you haven't been where I'm at or you wouldn't have gone back. Is it up to me to go back to where your at. Or is it up to you to come up to where I'm at.

And a partridge in a pear tree.
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:26 am
@neologist,
tartarus is not in the bible. Why would I need to know it?
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:56 am
@Squeakybro,
Actually the word Hell was only written into the bible more than 1500 years after the original texts were penned. There were three (four if you include both sheol AND Hades, but they mean the same thing) words where you now see one

She'ol which translated into Greek as Hades, Gehenna or the valley of Hinnom and Tartaroo, which means to bind, or to throw into Tartarus, a term which comes from Greek Mythology. Tartaroo appears only once in the bible and is used to denote a place where fallen angels are kept until the day of judgement, there is no reference to humans being sent there.

Look into the origin and development of the hellfire teachings, note the hellenistic influences. While you are at it, take note of the Roman Catholic bias of the king james bible, Hell is not the only doctrine that influences the way scriptures are translated in there.

0 Replies

superlgk

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:12 am
Your only hope to escape HELL is to believe JESUS died to pay for your sins before you die. It's very clear!! And don't think JESUS will not be that pwtty. He will kill millions of non believers when he returns. He assures that everyone will have sufficient chance to believe in him before they die. Remember he destroyed the whole world of nonbelievers before ,sparing only Noah and his family. Yes God/JESUS loves everyone but YOU have choice to believe or not.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:30 am
@superlgk,
I thank you for posting in the internet...

Mostly I abstain from bashing Religious freedom and criticise new atheists movement for handling the American domestic problem in the wrong way...

Anyway posts like this make it easier for me to indulge their behaviour and empathise more with the reasons why they are doing it...

...you my dear poster are making great service in favour of new atheism...one can't thank you enough for in your own odd way fighting for enlightenment !
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:34 am
@superlgk,
Welcome to a2k.
You seem to have forgotten that when you're dead, you're dead. You should read the whole bible. Start with Ecclesiastes 9:6.
No need to provide ammo for unbelievers.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:55 am
@superlgk,
Welcome to A2k my friend,

From which place in scripture rendered "Hell" do you suppose we need to escape? Sheol (greek Hades) Hinnom (Gehenna) or Tartaroo?
neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:17 pm
@Smileyrius,
"Gehenna"
That's what you say when someone sneezes, right?
Tar taroo!!!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:34 pm
@superlgk,
superlgk wrote:

Remember he destroyed the whole world of nonbelievers before ,sparing only Noah and his family.

Believe what you will, but Noah's Ark is a myth. A global biblical flood never happened, if it did there would be evidence. There is none. You're talking bollocks, based on your own desire to see those you deem unworthy smited in some way or another.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:03 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You seem to have forgotten that when you're dead, you're dead. You should read the whole bible. Start with Ecclesiastes 9:6.
No need to provide ammo for unbelievers.

It isn't as cut and dried as you would have us believe, though. The Bible makes various references to "the underworld" and "the abode of the dead" and also to "being cast down to a place of punishment in the netherworld."
neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
Underworld? Netherworld? Punishment? You'll have to provide citations.
Abode of the dead? Not a mystery since the dead, although unconscious, remain in God's memory. - Job 14:15, John 5:28-29
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:56 pm
@neologist,
"Underworld," "netherworld" and "abode of the dead" are definitions of the words sheol and hades found throughout the Bible. A place of punishment within the netherworld is tartaros from which the verb ταρταρόω, "cast to tartaros" is derived.

There is no mystery in regard to their definitions, your red herrings notwithstanding.
neologist

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 12:31 am
@InfraBlue,
Specific terms I have heard but lack specific citations.
No problem. If 'abode of the dead' works for you, it works for me.

Apparently you have a difficult time mentally digesting the idea that the bible does not teach immortality of the soul. In that respect, you agree with Romeo Fabulini, Patches, and Squeakybro. Good work.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 08:47 am
@InfraBlue,
The word Tartarus is referred to twice in the Hebrew texts within the Septaguint,
Job 40:30 talks of Leviathon bringing joy to the Quadrupeds in tartarus
Job 41 24 (or 32 depending on the numbering scheme) speaks of the tartarus of the deep.
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/28-iob-nets.pdf
Neither of these were representative of the Tartarus of mythology, rather used as words to describe a deep or low lying place.

Alternately take a look at Pauls use of the word Tartaroo, the reference was to angels that were incarcerated by the God of the old testament but they would not be held forever, it states that they were kept until judgement, which is interestingly parallel to the incarceration of the Greek Titans. No reference is made to humans or souls that would be kept there.

I am often wrong about tit bits and tats, I am open to correction.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 09:39 am
What did Jesus mean in these passages?:

Matthew 26:24
The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

Luke 17:2
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Matthew 18:6
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 09:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

What did Jesus mean in these passages?:

Now you're sounding like Oristar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
Well it sounds as though Jesus is saying there are worse things than dying.

But I am not sure...because Neo seems to think that when ya die...ya die.

So why would it be better not to have been born?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
When a person finally comes to understand only 2 possible outcomes:
Life, or
Death
And then realizes life had been offered, but
Foolishly spurned.
How do you think that person might then feel?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:05 am
@neologist,
I think the person would feel...

...BETTER TO HAVE BEEN BORN.

If you are going to die...you are going to die.

YOU are going to die...do you feel it would have been better if you had never been born?
neologist

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
I like to keep in mind Woody Allen's famous quip.
I'll paraphrase:
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."