Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:46 pm
Sigh. Sigh. And more sighs, farmer! Sad

But this is not exactly a new experience, here or in your part of the planet & elsewhere, is it?

Perhaps we should just get used to it? Just expect politicians to be politicians? Just work on those issues that matter to us & exercise pressure to "keep the bastards honest" (as one Oz politician, defecting from a mainstream party some years ago, put it?)

But anyway ...

On this particular whaling issue, I'm certain things are happening behind the (IWC) scenes, deals are being done, who knows on what basis?

Like, what is going on between the Japanese & US negotiators?:

"... Japan's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Masahiko Koumura, has detailed a bargain with the US chairman of the International Whaling Commission to "review" the contentious kill of humpbacks from Australian stocks.

Mr Koumura said Japan agreed with a US request to postpone the catch while the deadlocked 78-nation commission keeps moving towards "normalisation...."
(quoting one of the articles above)

And, you know, I suspect that the Australian government was actually quite serious about its planned "surveillance" of Japanese whaling, announced just a few weeks ago. (A new ALP government would not be so silly as to make the claims that were made so early in its first term. "Lack of transparency" (putting it politely! :wink: ) was one of the major reasons that the previous (Howard) government lost favour with the electors. So to have made those bold surveillance claims, then to find that nothing has actually happened by the 5th of January (!) is very strange & enormously disappointing indeed.

In the meantime, the Japanese "whaling season" in the Southern Ocean is half over. No news. Nothing.

So I'm thinking" Something is going on here & we don't know what it is! (Do we, Mr Jones? :wink:)

No doubt it will all become clear at the next IWC gathering! We will then find out about "normalization".Rolling Eyes
What a process!
What a joke that organization is!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:50 pm
dadpad wrote:
Sea sheppard has only just left port after repairs, Greenpeace have been unable to locate the whaling fleet.

Yep.

A real shame in the circumstances.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:02 am
msolga,

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it??? 4000 tons of whale meat stored in Japanese wharehouses - unused and unwanted by the international community, less than one percent of Japans citizens ingest whale meat...
Australia stands against the whaling fleet heading toward the Southern Oceans, and the United States tells Japan to NOT kill humpback whales...
explaining that "scientific research" can be attained without the use of harpoons...for all whale species.

What friggin' agreement??? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:40 pm
http://www.edgefx.com/_borders/humpbac.jpg

Moon-Spun Night

Tonight we swim
in the great womb of Mother Earth
- the ocean
Beneath the strange, echoing stream
of the galaxy
For peace we sing to our enemy

We do not hate nor fight
But follow stars that lead us through
the moon-spun night

Here, in this deep tranquillity
the Destroyers are a day away
Already they have been enslaved
by their cruel ways
But we?

Comrades, we are free

Endymion 2008

happy New Year, Olga
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:46 pm
I like fishing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
Goddam That was beautiful Endy. , and the picture was neat too. That poem should be sent to the SeaShepherds.

CJ---bite me!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
I just found this. (No email update for some reason.)

Thank you, Endy. I agree with farmer: beautiful, indeed! Very Happy

And a happy new year to you, too!:

Endymion wrote:
http://www.edgefx.com/_borders/humpbac.jpg

Moon-Spun Night

Tonight we swim
in the great womb of Mother Earth
- the ocean
Beneath the strange, echoing stream
of the galaxy
For peace we sing to our enemy

We do not hate nor fight
But follow stars that lead us through
the moon-spun night

Here, in this deep tranquillity
the Destroyers are a day away
Already they have been enslaved
by their cruel ways
But we?

Comrades, we are free

Endymion 2008

happy New Year, Olga
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
farmerman wrote:

CJ---bite me!

I'd prefer to use a harpoon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:55 pm
And a happy new year to you, too, cjhsa! :wink:
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:36 pm
I'm glad you liked it farmerman - thanks for letting me know
It's something i went back to and finished on impulse
i think what you're all doing here is very important (as well as interesting)

Cheers, Olga
Peace
E
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:42 am
Japan launches counter-attack......interesting re Robert Gentel's discussion here re pissing contest:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/prowhaling-vid-slams-racist-australia/2008/01/07/1199554551169.html

(That site includes a link to the video....but fair warning, it's very gruesome.)

http://www.servihoo.com/Aujourdhui/kinews/afp_details.php?id=186858&CategoryID=47

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23014405-421,00.html

http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/pro_whalers_launch_youtube_attack_537486
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:55 am
Deb, was this the YouTube video on the news tonight? (Sorry, can't investigate all the links you've provided as my (dial-up Rolling Eyes ) computer is extremely slow tonight.

From what I saw in the ABC & SBS news, it contained:

scenes from the "Cronulla riots"
references to xenophobia (from Australians)
A woman eating flesh from (what I assume is ) a kangaroo leg
a neglected, sickly looking baby kangaroo
etc ....
With voice-over, claiming that Australia's stance on Japanese whaling was racially-based, the implication being that Australians are hypocrites because we eat kangaroos, etc ..

My reaction: it looked like a (very) amateur piece of mischief. As it was produced by an un-named source, there's no way of knowing exactly where it came from. I wasn't going to respond to it at all because it was difficult to take it seriously as a defence of Japanese whaling, nor as a criticism of the Australian position on whaling. Or even as evidence of the level of indignation in Japan. With a bit of luck it'll get some equally ignorant & hot-headed anti-Japanese responses from racist Australians. But I don't think it contributes anything to the debate about whaling.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:39 am
Heres a counter anti-whale youtube pieceTHE FULL WHALE EXPERIENCE
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:46 am
This one makes me proud to be a Seashepherds memberFARLEY MOWATT SLAMS A WHALER
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:52 am
farmerman wrote:
This one makes me proud to be a Seashepherds memberFARLEY MOWATT SLAMS A WHALER

That one makes you a criminal and a pirate.

Round up the contributors NOW!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:57 am
msolga wrote:
Deb, was this the YouTube video on the news tonight? (Sorry, can't investigate all the links you've provided as my (dial-up Rolling Eyes ) computer is extremely slow tonight.

From what I saw in the ABC & SBS news, it contained:

scenes from the "Cronulla riots"
references to xenophobia (from Australians)
A woman eating flesh from (what I assume is ) a kangaroo leg
a neglected, sickly looking baby kangaroo
etc ....
With voice-over, claiming that Australia's stance on Japanese whaling was racially-based, the implication being that Australians are hypocrites because we eat kangaroos, etc ..

My reaction: it looked like a (very) amateur piece of mischief. As it was produced by an un-named source, there's no way of knowing exactly where it came from. I wasn't going to respond to it at all because it was difficult to take it seriously as a defence of Japanese whaling, nor as a criticism of the Australian position on whaling. Or even as evidence of the level of indignation in Japan. With a bit of luck it'll get some equally ignorant & hot-headed anti-Japanese responses from racist Australians. But I don't think it contributes anything to the debate about whaling.

Well, its point, basically, is that Australia is hypocritical in attacking Japan for killing and eating whales (no "research" defence attempted) when we are happy to cruelly kill endangererd dingoes, and to slaughter and eat kangaroos.

It says hunting is cruel, but it is what all humans do...including us. It says vegetarianism is the environmentally best option, but that humans are naturally hunters and consumers of meat.

It shows lots of dead dingoes, and cute dingo pups.

It points out that since white invasion we have killed off more mammalian species than anywhere else in the world...(I think that is true?)

It shows joeys being plucked from their dead mothers' pouches and stomped to death, or having their brains bashed out against the rear of a shooter's ute. (They look young enough to make survival if rescued pretty dicey.)

It points out, re the horrible death argument for whales, that poisoned dingoes (the most-used method, I believe) die a slow, agonizing death. I believe this is true. (Ditto re foxes and myxy or kalecy virus ain't no fun for we bunnies, neither).

It shows a woman tucking into roo-kebab, then a Japanese woman tucking into whale meat.

It says that cultural practices and sensitivities re killing animals differ from country to country, and that Oz is acting from unexamined cultural assumptions (it doesn't say it in those words, but...)

It suggests that Oz picking on Japan for whaling, while NOT picking on ourselves, nor similarly picking on (I think) the Norwegians, (who kill not a lot less whales, it says, than the Japanese) is likely motivated by xenophobia, then goes on to say we are racist, and treat Aboriginals and Asians as second-class, pointing out that Aboriginals were not counted in the census (ie not "human") until relatively recently.

It doesn't point out Japanese racism...shrugs.

I think it makes some points that are quite valid, while being a nasty piece of work.

Thing is, I think it nicely illustrates the points that Robert was making re how Japanese can see the criticism of them for whaling, and especially the emotive nature of a lot of it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:09 am
Maybe someone needs to post some video from Changi prison camp!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:13 am
Wilso wrote:
Maybe someone needs to post some video from Changi prison camp!!!

Well, I think that kind of escalating pissing contest is very unlikely to help anyone, least of all the whales!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:23 am
cj
Quote:
That one makes you a criminal and a pirate.

Round up the contributors NOW

Coming from you, I consider that a compliment. (You who wishes to shoot and harpoon people)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:35 am
Remember Deb, dingos were introduced to Australia, they are non-native. They have been responsible for the extinction of native species, AND, they are crossbreeding with feral dogs all over yer land. Shooting dingos (IMHO) is not like taking a unique species of whale to the edge of extinction.

This site talks about the inevitability of dingo extinctionDINGO EXTINCTION
0 Replies