Bolton and the UN

roger

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:12 pm
Maybe we got another Jeanne Kirkpatrick here, in long pants.

Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Woiyo,

Given how the UN works, what makes you think having an opinionated bully on board is going to help ANYTHING?

Cycloptichorn

One who is opinionated may be more willing to expose some of the BS going on from inside the UN then a traditional "diplomat" who keeps things quite for the sake of "peace and harmony".
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:26 am
Now a bunch of smart-arse one-liners spring to mind on reading that. But I shall let them slide because one-liners from me, although amusing to myself, won't be helpful.

Why would anyone want someone like Bolton in the UN? The only reason Bush wants Bolton in there is to take over the schoolyard by putting in his favourite bully. But it won't work. Bolton may get the job and he may throw his weight around in the UN and threaten and bluster and rain invective but it won't work. It's wake-up time. The US needs the UN more than the UN needs the US and a boofhead like Bolton won't force the UN to bend to the Bushii. No way. And Democrats and moderate Republicans alike know exactly what's behind this nomination and can see its intent. The Straussians of the PNAC will not get control of the UN.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:29 am
"The US needs the UN more than the UN needs the US "

LOL!!!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:36 am
woiyo wrote:

LOL!!!

Very Happy North Korea Very Happy good laugh eh?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:39 am
goodfielder wrote:
woiyo wrote:

LOL!!!

NK is a pimple. Rolling Eyes

How do you think the UN can be of ANY help regarding NK?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:39 am
Very Happy *Guffaw* - Iran Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:40 am
If you squeeze pimples you get acne Cool
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:41 am
woiyo wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
woiyo wrote:

LOL!!!

NK is a pimple. Rolling Eyes

How do you think the UN can be of ANY help regarding NK?

How do you think it can be contained without the UN? Going to invade?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:45 am
Answering a question with a question tells me you can not answer the original question. Rolling Eyes

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:21 am
woiyo wrote:
Answering a question with a question tells me you can not answer the original question. Rolling Eyes

Have a nice day.

Very Happy I chose not to - I can be so hard to get on with like that. Particularly when the question itself is pointless. But thank you for the good wishes, they are returned.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:15 am
Quote:
Bush under pressure to withdraw nomination
11.56AM, Fri May 13 2005

President George W Bush has come under pressure to withdraw his nomination for the post of UN ambassador.

A leading Democrat senator, Joe Biden, said the time has come for Mr Bush to think again about his choice, outspoken conservative John Bolton.

Quote:
However, the White House said it is confident Mr Bolton's nomination will be confirmed by the Senate. One supporter is US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who said that he "is the right man for this challenging assignment".

Source
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:51 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Woiyo,

Given how the UN works, what makes you think having an opinionated bully on board is going to help ANYTHING?

Cycloptichorn

One who is opinionated may be more willing to expose some of the BS going on from inside the UN then a traditional "diplomat" who keeps things quite for the sake of "peace and harmony".

peace and harmony is kinda the whole point of the u.n., isn't it ?? i could swear that i've heard that it is...

good on ya goodfielder for bringing up the pnac thing. what good is having wolfie in place at the world bank if ya can't have the u.n. as well.

at some point, an awful lot of people are gonna be real surprised to finaloly realize that there's more than theory to the conspiracy.

others will simply spark up a cuban, hand out the champagne and exchange hearty "well dones".
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:40 pm
The U.N. is part of a great plan designed by the world powers. Long before touchy-feely and civil rights it is the father of both. The powers created it after WWII to promote a general feeling of happiness and well being after the terror of several long, horrible years whose impact was felt not only by Europe, Japan and America but by dozens of Third World Countries.

During the past several decades peace and happiness has been restored to civilization but there are still many problems with the Third World that will never be resolved.

It is important for America and Europe to retain token membership in this club that has long outserved it's purpose if for no other reason than to let the barbarians, the savages look at us and see how people are supposed to be, how people are supposed to behave.

We need a real SOB like John Bolton to go into the U.N. and give these spoiled inferiors whippings to make them realize how fortunate they are to share the same tables in the same club with us.

I believe Kofi Anin is a decent fellow. His problems are not entirely his fault. The job is just above him, entirely to difficult, beyond his grasp.

Along with John Bolton as our new man in the U.N. I would also propose it's chairmanship be on a rotating basis between us, Britain, Germany and Russia every four years.

This would provide a sensible organization and enable us to help everyone in the world more effectively than they are being helped today.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:17 pm
Well said Jack Webbs.....and very pragmatic thinking on your part about Kofi Annan. I also believe your suggestion about a rotating schedule among the large powers would create more relevancy in the leadership position. The current proposals of enlarging the membership of the security council will surely add to the chaos and paralysis. I would propose giving weighted votes to the general assembly as well as the security council in accordance with the amount of money and influence any particular country wields on the global scene. For example each of the major powers would have 4 votes whereas each tiny country would have one vote.......the current voting structure giving a tiny rogue nation the same voting power as a major contributor of funds to world problems, is absolutely ludicrous and is the primary cause of the irrelevance of the UN today. This is one reason I make the allegation that the UN charter must be re-written before any relevance can be established. John Bolton is faced with an impossible job but I am confident he will give it has best shot and at least he is the one chosen by a president who has been elected by a majority of the voters........both the president and Bolton deserve a chance to succeed. The democrats are again on the wrong side.......against the best interests of America and it will be shown in the next election just as their obstructionism on the presidents judicial nominees will surely be destructive to the dems chances in the next election.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:33 pm
rayban1 wrote:
giving weighted votes to the general assembly as well as the security council in accordance with the amount of money and influence any particular country wields on the global scene. For example each of the major powers would have 4 votes whereas each tiny country would have one vote.......the current voting structure giving a tiny rogue nation the same voting power as a major contributor of funds to world problems, is absolutely ludicrous

Would you recommend the U.S. election/voting structure be reformed in the same way?

And can I say this is one of the funniest, and most apt, if unintended, things I've read in days ...

rayban1 referring to the U.S.
rayban1 wrote:
a major contributor of funds to world problems
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:47 pm
Subtract our "funds for world problems"--and the world would go feckin belly up.

Not because I wish it so--or I imagine it without substantiation.

Anyone know how we got paid back for the rebuilding of Europe?

We didn't.

You're welcome.

I know ehBeth thought it was a cute play on words.

There is likely a majority bankroll of US funds underpinning most every government on the face of the earth-- most, being a majority.

The Marshall Plan-- Just bail them out.

The Baker Plan-- Let them pay interest.

The Brady Plan-- Just don't ask for it back.

The US, responsible for "world problems...? Almost right.

The US-- responsible for the world. Period.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:52 pm
It was very funny, Lash, and you know it.

Once the U.S. balances its own budget, the rest of the world can rest easy that it'll be taken care of forever. How lovely for all of us. <shrug> That part of the post was really of little interest to me.

The voting revamp was what interested me - and still does. If those principles are applied to the U.S., the whole political game there changes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:57 pm
<moderately funny with reservations...>

I see what you mean about votes per cash, tho.

Not establishing a "side"...just see what you mean.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:07 pm
I don't really have a "side" either, lash.

I think rayban is proposing something for the U.N. that is a variant of something I've always liked ..."representation by population" (though s/he/it's using representation by cash in this example). I like it, in theory, for all political systems.

I have no idea how it would work - for the U.N., for the U.S., or for any other system. But I like the theory.

How would representation by population really work? Is this what's really happening now, as India and China develop economic clout to match their population sizes?

How would representation by cash really work? How would the U.N. have worked when Japan was at its economic peak? Would Japan have been in charge?
0 Replies