whether it be or whether it is?

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:30 pm
what is the correct word to use in this context.

eg whether it BE Dali's rose or monet's lillies, flowers are used throughout the general area of art.

or should it be...

whether it IS Dali's rose or monet's lillies, flowers are used throughout the general area of art.

ignore the poor grammer and unimaginative sentence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,769 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:35 pm
This is a tough one. I don't feel 100% confident in this answer, but I think both could be used. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the subjunctive mood is "used chiefly to express the speaker's attitude about the likelihood or factuality of a given situation," in this case, the use of Dali's rose or Monet's lillies.

Also in American Heritage:

Quote:
Other functions include use in some conditional clauses and clauses that make concessions or express purpose. In these cases the subjunctive carries a formal tone:
Whether he be opposed to the plan or not, we must seek his opinion...
The subjunctive is not required in such sentences, however, and you can use indicative forms if you prefer (whether he is opposed …).

I don't think this sentence suggests the use of Dali's rose or Monet's lillies as a condition; rather, a possibility. In this sense, the subjunctive mood might be appropriate in suggesting some doubt about whether either artist's flowers would be used. Perhaps others with a greater mind for nuance can weigh in on this one.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:28 pm
Re: whether it be or whether it is?
angelina_papina wrote:

eg whether it BE Dali's rose or monet's lillies, flowers are used throughout the general area of art.

or should it be...

whether it IS Dali's rose or monet's lillies, flowers are used throughout the general area of art.

To answer your question, I think "Whether it be" is appropriate, given the above choices; however, here's a secret:

"Dali's rose or Monet's lillies, flowers are used throughout the general are of art" works just fine by itself. Or, you could use a verb such as "Considering Dali's rose..." or "Looking at Dali's rose..." and it would flow all the cleaner.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:23 pm
thankyou people, damn windows grammar check!!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:09 am
Re: whether it be or whether it is?
angelina_papina wrote:

or should it be...

Both are correct. The former is often used in more formal situations so it's most commonly found in academic English.
0 Replies

lesviolettes

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:29 am
Hello!
Shouldn't it be "whether THEY ... etc..." ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:32 am
No, because it be dali's rose (singular) or it be monet's lillies (singular) is a reference to a singular item, a painting.

But that's just a subjunctive judgment on my part . . .
0 Replies

lesviolettes

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:57 am
Yes, right.
But you sure "lillies"'s a singular?
0 Replies