A Buddhist riddle. If you win you get a prize.

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:48 am
"The teachers, seventy-year-old Kalu Rinpoche of Tibet, a veteran of years of solitary retreat, and the Zen master Seung Sahn, the first Korean Zen master to teach in the United States, were to test each other's understanding of the Buddha's teachings for the benefit of the onlooking Western students. This was to be a high form of what was being called _dharma_ combat (the clashing of great minds sharpened by years of study and meditation), and we were waiting with all the anticipation that such a historic encounter deserved. The two monks entered with swirling robes -- maroon and yellow for the Tibetan, austere grey and black for the Korean -- and were followed by retinues of younger monks and translators with shaven heads. They settled onto cushions in the familiar cross-legged positions, and the host made it clear that the younger Zen master was to begin. The Tibetan lama sat very still, fingering a wooden rosary (_mala_) with one hand while murmuring, _"Om mani padme hum"_ continuously under his breath.

The Zen master, who was already gaining renown for his method of hurling questions at his students until they were forced to admit their ignorance and then bellowing, "Keep that don't know mind!" at them, reached deep inside his robes and drew out an orange. "What is this?" he demanded of the lama. "What is this?" This was a typical opening question, and we could feel him ready to pounce on whatever response he was given.
A story ith a riddle at the end.

"The Tibetan sat quietly fingering his mala and made no move to respond.

"What is this?" the Zen master insisted, holding the orange up to the Tibetan's nose.

Kalu Rinpoche bent very slowly to the Tibetan monk near to him who was serving as the translator, and they whispered back and forth for several minutes. Finally the translator addressed the room: "Rinpoche says, 'What is the matter with him? Don't they have oranges where he comes from?"

The dialog progressed no further."

The Tibetan won! Wow. I think he deserves a prize. But what? How about a vehicle? Oh yes.

Now, with the facts we have in this story about the Tibetan, (and other facts, make me one with everything) what would be the optimum vehicle for him to drive.

The winner of this riddle get's to pick his/her own prize, you name it! Or, you can leave the prize giving up to me, winner choses.

You will also be crowned A2K genius by none other than ME!

Now chop-chop-slice-slice, don't make me wait to long.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,988 • Replies: 60
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:10 am
I'd say a Hummer. After all those years of solitude, I imagine he would appreciate it.
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:11 am
Squinney, that was very good, but it is not the answer.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:15 am
1979 Chevrolet Cavalier?
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:20 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
1979 Chevrolet Cavalier?

No, that isn't it Gustav, but could you explain your answer? Cavalier as in laid back?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:23 am
Cavalier does not, in the United States, either evoke an image of a supporter of the Stuart monarchy, nor someone of a high-handed nature . . . it is the name for a model of automobile produced in large numbers by General Motors, and sold cheaply.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:24 am
I'd say a jeep, but then, i think everyone should drive a lowly, humble jeep, with as few "options" as possible . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:29 am
Turtlette - Gus, is just trying to pawn that clunker off on anyone that passes. he got caught with it years ago in a poker game. That's the same game in which he lost his favorite mule. He misses her something awful.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:30 am
How 'bout a Lumina? Would that suffice?
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:37 am
Setanta, no dice with the jeep. ;-)

Squinney, damn good answer, but not the one I have in mind.

Keep trying folks.

Gustav, is what Squinney said true? What about your big red tractor?

Care for some grey poupon, Hmm?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:55 am
turtlette - It sounds like seventy-year-old Kalu Rinpoche of Tibet
has already reached his destination.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:05 am
Yeah!

Yeah, you're right, codeborg!

So... can I have his behicle?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:48 am
A Mahayana.......see:-

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1326339#1326339
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:55 am
I think the Tibetan is a vehicle unto himself and the question is moot.

He 'd probably rather have a really good hooker.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:47 am
dodge omni? Smile
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:19 am
CodeBorg wrote:
turtlette - It sounds like seventy-year-old Kalu Rinpoche of Tibet
has already reached his destination.

Yes, he has reached his destination, but how will he get around where he is?

As far as hookers go, once I reveal the vehicle, you'll all be hooked! What a keeper, can't wait to show you.

Yitwail, that was clever but not correct.

Lord Helpus, again, I am sorry.

I will give you folks a hint. There is a very famous song that goes along with the vehicle. Anyone over the age of 20 that grew up in America would be familiar with this tune. There will be a sing-a-long when the answer is revealed.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:51 am
Turtlette this is great, you bring a fan club with you. Laughing

I am reading a book by Mark Epstein called Thoughts without a thinker, which is about psychotherapy from a Buddhist perspective.
:wink:

A Llama heard an unbelievable noise coming from behind a door at the monastery.

It was the most unusual noise he had ever heard in his life. He approached a monk standing outside and asked him what was making the noise from behind the door.

The monk told him that it was a secret among the monks and only monks could know what amazing car the noise was coming from. The man hung his head and left. A year later he returned to the monastery because it had been bugging him like crazy. He was so drawn to the noise that he would do anything to know what the strange sound was.

He approached the head monk and asked him how to become a monk. The monk told him that he could become a monk only if he traveled the world and counted every single blade of grass and every stem of every plant.

Eight years later the man returned. Once again he could hear the noise coming from behind a door at the monastery. He approached the head monk and told him exactly how many blades of grass and how many plant stems were in the world. With a smile, the head monk agreed to let the man become a monk. They performed a brief ceremony and the man became one of the monks.

The man was overjoyed as he was finally about to find out what was behind the door after all these years. As he approached the door he could hear the strange noise getting louder. One of the monks handed him a key and he excitedly unlocked the door.

To his surprise there was another door behind it. The strange noise was even louder now. The man demanded the key to the next door as his heart was now pounding with excitement. A different monk retrieved the key for the second door and he unlocked it.

To his surprise there was yet another door behind that one. The Llama was now getting very irritated as he demanded another key.

One of the monks went out and got the key for him. When he unlocked the door there was yet another set of doors.

The Llamawas about to lose his mind as he frantically kept unlocking doors time after time. Each time the magnificent noise was getting louder and more clear from behind the doors.

This went on for twelve hours but the man never flinched as he kept unlocking the doors and lunging forward towards the harmonious peaceful noise.

FINALLY, after he was absolutely exhausted, the Llama came to a very unusual set of doors. With a final effort he unlocked them and got to see the car behind the doors making the beautiful sound.

It was a ....

^ * $ # @8 ^ %

%@#*&*^ # @8 ^ %

(Sorry, this was edited by the monks. Only Monks are allowed to know what car made the noise.) But then, you knew that, didn't you. Laughing
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:17 pm
Shocked Tryagain! Shocked Don't move a muscle! Your about to hit the

big 1300 post mark!

Don't be nervous, it happens to everyone, eventually. Your not alone, I have your bumper covered. Laughing

Btw, are you serious about the car story being in that book. I've never read that book, something tells me I don't have to! Shocked Laughing

But, just for---> Laughing I think I will pick it up at one of my favorite bookstores. Should I go to the bookstore that starts with the letter 'J' or the letter 'A'?
The one with the letter 'J' is in a town I love, (not to mention it has an awesome childrens section Very Happy )

The one with the letter 'A' has a working fireplace, one can sit in front of it with a good book, if one choses.

Decisions decisions.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:17 pm
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:30 pm
Quote:
The Tibetan sat quietly fingering his mala

and made no move...

toward the Chevy Impala

not a single blade of grass