Is Turkey in Europe or in Asia?

Unsuspected

Wed 1 Oct, 2008 04:13 pm
@akhsoldier19,
How can you say that if Turkey is half in Asia and Half in Europe? It is also in South East Europe!
0 Replies

merve12345

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:19 pm
@Setanta,
no it should be in asia because all the cities of turkey come in asia accept istanbul.so they should take istanbul in asia too.
0 Replies

merve12345

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:22 pm
@roger,
Like matters of scientific fact, geography should also be subject to a vote. make it asia because most part of turkey is in asia only one city of turkey that is istanbul is in europe so turkey should only be in asia.
merve12345

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:25 pm
@03peaker,
no it should be in asia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

merve12345

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:26 pm
@roger,
yes u r correct i agree with u
0 Replies

merve12345

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:27 pm
@engineerr,
good u r correct
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 14 Oct, 2008 06:19 am
Let's make it part of Antarctica. It could use the tourism Euros...
0 Replies

chrisnagios

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
I think Instabul is Constantinoples, and is Greek.
Maybe the best solution, would be return of Instabul to Greece,
and Vosporos becomes the new border between
real Europe country - Greece - and between Asia,
with Turkey and Ankara, the capital, cited in East Asia.

Just see a map and research REAL history, not the
media history and places the President decides to visit.
sarvk76

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:17 pm
what is Europe? a peninsula of a continent called Asia. Limited Geographical knowledge resulted in these two continents.
Modern Turks, or at least most of them, were Greeks before they adopted Turkish. Anyway, Greeks wanted most of the Asia Minor as their territory. If only this would have happened - Greek kebabs and Pakistani/Indian kababs would be bros. I was munching only kebabs at Melrose retaurant in Chicago and that was a Greek restaurant. Never knew what was around the corner!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:27 pm
when I took the train to Ankara I was in asia but when I returned to Constantinople I found meself in europe. I was confused for sure but I liked the food (mostly). the whirling dervishes came from egypt but they made me dizzy.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:30 pm
@chrisnagios,
chrisnagios wrote:

I think Instabul is Constantinoples, and is Greek.
Maybe the best solution, would be return of Instabul to Greece,
and Vosporos becomes the new border between
real Europe country - Greece - and between Asia,
with Turkey and Ankara, the capital, cited in East Asia.

Just see a map and research REAL history, not the
media history and places the President decides to visit.

Actually, it's Phoenician.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
@dyslexia,
My favourite Turkish restaurant was called Istanbul. Or Anatoli?

Never mind.

But it was in a whirling-dervish-free-zone.
0 Replies

I Stin Poli

Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:30 pm
Few people know that Istabul is not only an alternative name to Constantinople used by Turkey, but is in fact still a Greek description 'I stin poli' which means 'in the town'. Turkey bludgeoning theft of this city and many others such as Smirni has been used to disguise the geographical excuse that Turkey is within Europe. The answer is that the conquered territory from Greece is european and the rest is in Asia. Its ok, de-facto is de-facto now, but if Turkey is really europe then it follows that so should Armenia and aspiring Kurdistan.
0 Replies

kamkz

Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
Europe or Asia either way, but if it is for determining whether it should be in the EU? Then it is must not be allowed
0 Replies

alperte

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:27 am
"Is Turkey in Europe or in Asia?"
It´s easier to decide when we know more about the criteria of Europe? (It´s much easier with Australia).
The question is what europeans want (need) to be in Europe and what they don´t. Remember, definitions can be changed anytime.
I think if Turkey is in negotiations with EU there might be a slight chance that the EU officials see the country in Europe. But there might be a slight chance that Turkey is Asian because of the absence of a "turkey" once a year too.
Anyway the question was a good one but there are questions with more than one answer...

0 Replies

saab

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 01:50 am
Turkey is about 780 000 km2. The European part about 23 000 km2.
Which makes it about 3-4% which is in Europe.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:18 am
@merve12345,
merve12345 wrote:

Like matters of scientific fact, geography should also be subject to a vote. make it asia because most part of turkey is in asia only one city of turkey that is istanbul is in europe so turkey should only be in asia.

Oh, man! How did I miss this gem. But yeah, I guess they do kind of vote on matters of scientific fact. Global warming comes to mind.
0 Replies

mayda

Sun 11 Jul, 2010 01:30 pm
hey i live in turkey and turkey is in both of them cuz in one of turkey's cities called istanbul there is a huge brigde called bogazici bridge and it's between asia,europe so a little part of turkey is in europe and most part of turkey is in asia Wink hope i helped
0 Replies

qypeople

Thu 5 Aug, 2010 03:31 am
@engineerr,
I agree
0 Replies

Sezay

Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:25 am
@Proteinn,
I'm a Turkish lady. the answer is Europe, because;
1-Turks see themselves Europeans, not Asians.
2-Turks are similar to Europeans (light eyes, light hair etc.) not Asians.
3-Our culture, foods, clothing, living styles, alphabet etc. are similar to Eurpeans. Only difference is religion.
4-Our land in Europe more than some European countries. And Anatolia lands are not only Asia, it's Eurasia. I mean we haven't got lands in Asia. Turkey is in Eurpea and Eurasia.
5-Balkans and Greece was ours for centuries.
Is that enough??
Turkish People is European
Turkey is an Europe country.
We're already attending European contests like Eurovision, Europe sport leagues etc.