If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 09:47 am
Quote:
Neologist said to Romeo: So, I ask you again. If a person calling himself a christian claims Christ is equal to his father, do you consider that person a christian?

I already answered it mate, you must have missed it..Smile
Here i'll paste it again-

"Romeo said: Only God knows if any of us qualify to be called a Christian!
Perhaps God will simply overlook peoples mistaken belief if they think God and Jesus are the same.
In fact I had an e-mail debate with a Baptist minister a few months ago who insisted Jesus WAS God. I knew him from years ago when he was a sensible young freelance street preacher, but after joining the Baptists I can only assume he's lost his marbles, I suppose that's the effect organised religion has on its followers.
"
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 09:57 am
Quote:
Germlat said: I've never understood the claim of Jesus being God. He never proclaimed himself to be that. I've never received a satisfactory reply...anger every time.

People who get angry are candidates for the naughty step..Smile
"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered" (Provs 22:24)

It's absolutely clear that Jesus WASN'T God-
Jesus said - "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
Jesus said -"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
Jesus said - "Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
High Priest asks - "Are you the Son of God?" Jesus replies - "I am" (Mark 14:61)
Jesus said - "I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
Jesus said "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me" (John 7:17)
Jesus said- “Father, the hour has come....I am coming to you now" (John 17:13).
"I am going to my Father and your Father, my God and your God" (John 20:17)
"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)
God himself said - "This is my beloved son, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)
Simon Peter said- “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven" (Matt 16:13-17)
John said- "For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands" (John 3:34-35)
And of course Jesus regularly prayed to God, yet if he was God he certainly wouldn't pray to himself..Smile

Germlat

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:13 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
So..Jesus portrays himself as a mouthpiece...but not as God. Not trying to be a jerk ...this is what I read...
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
So, I ask you again. If a person calling himself a christian claims Christ is equal to his father, do you consider that person a christian?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I already answered it mate, you must have missed it..Smile
Here i'll paste it again-

"Romeo said: Only God knows if any of us qualify to be called a Christian!
Perhaps God will simply overlook peoples mistaken belief if they think God and Jesus are the same.
In fact I had an e-mail debate with a Baptist minister a few months ago who insisted Jesus WAS God. I knew him from years ago when he was a sensible young freelance street preacher, but after joining the Baptists I can only assume he's lost his marbles, I suppose that's the effect organised [sic] religion has on its followers.
"
So John 4:23 is meaningless to you?
Quote:
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.(KJV)
Or this from John 18:37?
Quote:
To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:51 am
Quote:
Riddler Neologist said:@RF- So John 4:23 is meaningless to you?
or John 18:37?

I've told you before to break your habit of talking in riddles mate!
I said Jesus is NOT God.
Do you or don't you agree with that?
neologist

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:04 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Of course I know that Jesus is not God. That is the truth. We are told to worship in truth. Equating Jesus to his father is a lie. So I have to ask again.
Quote:
If a person calling himself a christian claims Christ is equal to his father, do you consider that person a christian?

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 09:11 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Of course I know that Jesus is not God. That is the truth. We are told to worship in truth. Equating Jesus to his father is a lie. So I have to ask again- If a person calling himself a christian claims Christ is equal to his father, do you consider that person a christian?

I don't know! Only God knows who qualifies as a true Christian.
All I will say is that it's my strong unshakeable opinion that people are mistaken and misguided if they think Jesus is God..Smile
neologist

Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So you can't say for sure who qualifies as a christian? What about the folks Jesus describes at Matthew 7:21?
Quote:
“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.
I don't mean to riddle. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of standard you might apply to ones calling themselves christians.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:15 am
Quote:
Neologist said:@RF- I don't mean to riddle. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of standard you might apply to ones calling themselves christians.

I've met plenty of so-called "christians" but in my opinion they're not true christians at all.
In fairness to them, they've also told me they don't think I'm a true christian, so like I said before, ONLY GOD KNOWS who the true Christians really are!
Paul said the same thing-
"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.
It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

So all we can do is play it our own way and hope we're doing it right..Smile

neologist

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 01:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Hmm! I thought you might cite John 13:35
Quote:
By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.
It's from your favorite Gospel, so I figured it would come immediately into your mind.

Eh?
0 Replies

Germlat

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Do you believe Jesus is God?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 04:49 pm
Quote:
Neologist said:@RF- Hmm! I thought you might cite John 13:35- "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves". It's from your favorite Gospel, so I figured it would come immediately into your mind.Eh?

What about it? You're slipping into riddles again.
Oh and I never said John was my favourite gospel, I like them all!
Careful,the naughty step.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Germlat said:@RF- Do you believe Jesus is God?

No. If Jesus is God, I'm Mary Poppins..Smile
Germlat

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 04:59 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Ok then, you're not Christian. Christians believe Jesus is God. Not condemning you, please understand...your belief is not that of Christians. Not saying you have to fit a mold either....
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:12 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Jesus is not God
Germlat said: Ok then, you're not Christian. Christians believe Jesus is God.

Jesus said - "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
Jesus said -"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
Jesus said - "Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)

so if some "christians" think he's lying it's their problem not mine..Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:40 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Hmm! I thought you might cite John 13:35- "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves". It's from your favorite Gospel, so I figured it would come immediately into your mind.Eh?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
What about it? You're slipping into riddles again.
Well, it defines Christian pretty well, would you not say?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Oh and I never said John was my favourite gospel, I like them all!
Well, so far its the one you have most frequently posted images of. I thought perhaps you were getting a cut of the proceeds.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:52 am
Quote:
Neologist quoted Jesus: "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves".
...it defines Christian pretty well, would you not say?

Again I'm still not sure what you're getting at. and that verse could mean to stick only with your christian mates and don't waste your time with nonchristians.
It's difficult trying to define what a true Christian is because they all have different ideas; for example I've been told many times by so-called "christians" that I'm definitely not one, and I don't see much love towards me in their feedback..Wink-

Steve H - "Micks a narrow-minded unchristian unqualified know-nothing silly little man and work-shy racist layabout"
Cymba - "Micks an unchristian aggressive liar showing no fruits of the spirit"
Zeke - "Micks wrong wrong wrong and denies Gods word"
Christian Trucker Pat - "Micks proud,arrogant,self-glorifying, uncharitable,offensive,lacking understanding and talking drivel"
Linda -"Mick's a silly little Brit"
Gloryboundd - "Mick's a senile liar and fool"
Elbown - "Mick you put me off Christianity and i'm a Christian"
SheriNuwine - "Mick you come across as a pervert,do you like cheeky little minxes who play with dollies?"
Sunami - "Mick...the lazy workshy parasite that you are"
"Ghyllie Dhu -"you're a pompous, self-absorbed wingnut who's an embarassment to the faith"
Donbain - " I've got Mick on filter for one very good reason, his intelligence is too low beneath mine to dignify his lewdness with an answer"
Reverend Eric Potts - "You disgust me Mick"
Neologist- "Romeo is ignorant, malicious, a fable-spinner, talks drivel, a deceiver,a liar, self-deluded"
Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:10 pm
@Germlat,
Jesus must not be a christian either then since he also did not believe that he was God. And why would he believe that he was not God? He was Jewish, and they believe in one God Yahweh.
Germlat

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:14 pm
@Germlat,
I wasn't criticizing you for your beliefs . I guess I always thought you were a Christian ...at the end of the day belief is a personal journey.
0 Replies

Germlat

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:19 pm
@Enaj,
I know...but, the kind of reverence Romeo shows led me to believe he was Christian. I've never met a Christian that doesn't believe Jesus is a God. I thought that was essential to Christian doctrine.
Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:20 pm
I have a serious question about the translation of.....

only begotten son

Is it really the most correct way to translate this?

John 3:16 King James Bible
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
0 Replies