If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

neologist

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 12:38 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Only God knows whether he finds the trinity doctrine offensive. Personally I don't attach any importance to it, it's just something cooked up by mostly catholics.
You don't see how equating Jesus with his father dishonors God and demeans Jesus' sacrifice?

Surely you jest.
Krumple

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:12 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Only God knows whether he finds the trinity doctrine offensive. Personally I don't attach any importance to it, it's just something cooked up by mostly catholics.
You don't see how equating Jesus with his father dishonors God and demeans Jesus' sacrifice?

Surely you jest.

More than likely the invention of the trinity is a way to tie up lose ends in the narrative. From my point of view it is a new religion being built upon the back of another religion. If you compare ancient judaism with modern christianity they are nearly at odds if not fully at odds. In the torah and the old testament god is portrayed as wicked, vengeful and out right brutal to anyone it sees fit to want to mess with or destroy.

But modern christians want to ignore these things because the hippy jesus has changed things. But how is it that jesus is the change? Unless they are implying that the ancient jews got god all wrong and jesus was god's attempt to correct the wrong perception? Modern christians don't specifically address it but they imply it with the dismissal of all those characteristics.

So what they attempted to do was square the round peg. You can fix the problems of a wicked and vindictive ancient interpretation of god by claiming jesus was god in the flesh. But to do this you also need a way of separating the two because it doesn't make any sense how a god that is suppose to be seperate from the universe can impact it. This is why they invent the holy ghost concept.
McTag

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:17 am
How do we say we know so much about God, what he wants and what he doesn't want, what his/her intentions for us are?

There's a whole industry tied up in this. Fascinating.
Krumple

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:26 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

How do we say we know so much about God, what he wants and what he doesn't want, what his/her intentions for us are?

Well there are 14,000 denominations of christianity alone, each have their own idea of what their god wants or doesn't want so it is not as clear as they might try to suggest.
McTag

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 03:51 am
@Krumple,

It keeps a lot of people happy.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:56 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
More than likely the invention of the trinity is a way to tie up lose ends in the narrative. From my point of view it is a new religion being built upon the back of another religion. If you compare ancient judaism with modern christianity they are nearly at odds if not fully at odds. In the torah and the old testament god is portrayed as wicked, vengeful and out right brutal to anyone it sees fit to want to mess with or destroy.

But modern christians want to ignore these things because the hippy jesus has changed things. But how is it that jesus is the change? Unless they are implying that the ancient jews got god all wrong and jesus was god's attempt to correct the wrong perception? Modern christians don't specifically address it but they imply it with the dismissal of all those characteristics.

So what they attempted to do was square the round peg. You can fix the problems of a wicked and vindictive ancient interpretation of god by claiming jesus was god in the flesh. But to do this you also need a way of separating the two because it doesn't make any sense how a god that is suppose to be seperate from the universe can impact it. This is why they invent the holy ghost concept.
On the contrary. The concept of the trinity dates back to the religions of ancient Babylon, and is doctrinal in many religions.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zTqIoHQeTQ4/TDWTSHUIuLI/AAAAAAAADT8/5mdiMXhp0NE/s320/trimurti.gif

Additionally, true Christians are not afraid to discuss the actual harmony between the Hebrew and Greek scriptures.
neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:01 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Start with this:
Quote:
Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”(Genesis 1:28)
If Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have war and crime and sickness and death.
0 Replies

Krumple

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:02 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Additionally, true Christians are not afraid to discuss the actual harmony between the Hebrew and Greek scriptures.

laughable. That is like saying there is no difference between a horrible singer and a good singer. When you constantly wear the god blinder goggles, you'll always see consistency and harmony and lack of contradictions. But the rest of us who are actually in reality not wearing the god goggles see the inconsistencies, errors, contradictions and lack of harmony.
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:33 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: @RF- You don't see how equating Jesus with his father dishonors God and demeans Jesus' sacrifice?
Surely you jest.

The Trinity means "The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", in other words 3 separate parts and I have no problem with that, it's just words and I can't figger why some people are so obsessed with it..Smile
anonymously99

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Hi dear.
neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:45 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
. When you constantly wear the god blinder goggles, you'll always see consistency and harmony and lack of contradictions. But the rest of us who are actually in reality not wearing the god goggles see the inconsistencies, errors, contradictions and lack of harmony.
Name your favorite one, Einstein. Let's see how it plays out.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The Trinity means "The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", in other words 3 separate parts and I have no problem with that, it's just words and I can't figger why some people are so obsessed with it..
So you have never read the Athanasian Creed. How convenient.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 03:09 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

And on this side of the pond that industry is entirely tax-exempt.
McTag

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:49 pm
@InfraBlue,

In Germany, citizens have a Church Tax levied on them.

Not everyone is happy about that.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:10 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: The Trinity means "The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", in other words 3 separate parts and I have no problem with that, it's just words and I can't figger why some people are so obsessed with it..
Neologist asked: So you have never read the Athanasian Creed. How convenient.

Never heard of it mate, and I don't give a rat's ass about creeds, I'm Jesus-focussed like everybody should be..Smile
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
anonymously99

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:56 pm
@anonymously99,
It's not too late for you to seek Jesus. Ask him into your heart and be your savior. To believe in him.

I'm not trying to teach or preach but give hope.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
It is good to hear that you are Jesus focused my friend, how would you interpret the illustration of the friendly Samaritan?
neologist

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:34 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Neologist wrote:
Something I've been meaning to ask, Romeo. If any of these christians believe in the trinity, are they still acceptable to God? Still christian?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
neologist wrote:
You don't see how equatingJesus with his father dishonors God and demeans Jesus' sacrifice?
Surely you jest.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The Trinity means "The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", in other words 3 separate parts and I have no problem with that, it's just words and I can't figger why some people are so obsessed with it..
neologist wrote:
So you have never read the Athanasian Creed. How convenient.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Never heard of it mate, and I don't give a rat's ass about creeds, I'm Jesus-focussed like everybody should be..Smile
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
I don't get it Romeo. You have spent much effort on this forum to prove Jesus is not equal to God. You say you never heard of the Athanasian Creed; but it is the doctrine stating the so called God Head, accepted by nearly all nominal christians.

So, I ask you again. If a person calling himself a christian claims Christ is equal to his father, do you consider that person a christian?
0 Replies

anonymously99

Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:01 pm
@Smileyrius,
Sorry to interrupt/or intrude in on the conversation. I would like to share feelings, thoughts.

Quote:
It is good to hear that you are Jesus focused my friend, how would you interpret the illustration of the friendly Samaritan?

For one to be of me, I would appreciate the understanding, knowledge obtaining, paying attention, keeping a good distance and letting go kind of beautiful hearted friendly samaritan. All I would ask. This is I asking if I were to ever be blessed with a friendly samaritan. Direct communication is unnecessary. If needed, I would have to make it obvious without mentioning. In hopes there are no negative feelings only understanding.
Smileyrius

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:30 am
@anonymously99,
I dont mind at all Anon, your refreshing outlook is always welcome
0 Replies