United Nations to ban religion?

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
No, I don't think so. I think that there would be a vacuum, and that it would be quickly filled by even more mindless consumerism and moral ignorance.
This proposal would do wonders for the international corporations.
Those in power would love it, since morally uneducated people are easier to rule than those who believe in a greater connection.

Those who would be harmed by this would be the little people. Those with no ambiton save to live a good and purposeful life.
Those who want to kill eachother would just find other reasons to do so. And fewer restrictions would be in their way.

The problem is; the thing that spawned our western, atheistic, psycho babble ,know-it-all pseudo science, otherwise known as psychology, is the same thing that wants to fill our minds and hearts with need and want, and obliterate all other considerations.

(Edited)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:06 pm
Cyr, I wonder about the benefit to commerce. The world's religions have a tremendous concentration of wealth to which adherents are constantly devoting their resources.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:29 pm
U. N. Ban on religion
Stranger things have happened. Seems to me that the Berlin Wall came down soon after some folks said it would be up for another 50 years. It would take a tremendous amount of power and support to bring it about but isn't that what Revelation 17:15-18 is indicating!
0 Replies

Mike8642

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:41 pm
Banning Religion
Banning religion wouldn't ruin mankind especially not before mankind ruins itself from greed, however having people stop their religious practices long enough for them to see what religion is actually doing to their planet would help. And because there is no way of ever MAKING a person do anything, it seems to me like we are all waiting for the same huge natural disaster to stop everyone in their tracks and make us start over, thats if we survive ourselves.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:04 am
a most disingenuine title. but i understand, it must've been a laugh Razz Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:26 am
neologist wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The fact it went nowhere ought to tell you something.

As well as does the fact that there are those who seriously consider it

Not really. There are those who believe the world will end tomorrow, or that you can cure lethal sickness by flogging yourself. Or the like. There are those who believe that Diet Coke is healthy. There isnt an idea so ludicrous that you won't find a group of people "seriously considering it". Doesnt mean squat, really.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
nimh wrote:
neologist wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The fact it went nowhere ought to tell you something.

As well as does the fact that there are those who seriously consider it

Not really. There are those who believe the world will end tomorrow, or that you can cure lethal sickness by flogging yourself. Or the like. There are those who believe that Diet Coke is healthy. There isnt an idea so ludicrous that you won't find a group of people "seriously considering it". Doesnt mean squat, really.
The esteemed Setanta, admittedly tongue in cheek wrote:
United Nations to ban religion

Ah, a consumation devoutly to be desired.

Alas, they lack the power to implement such a salutary measure . . .
To which I add:

Is there any other entity more responsible for the world's bloodshed than organized religion? Is there any more deserving of such censure?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:06 pm
Don't be dragging me into this . . . and anyways, i suspect i'm rather more despised than esteemed . . . which is neither here nor there . . .

Wanna root beer?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:08 pm
Just giving my own opinion of your astute rhetoric, kind sir.

Root beer with a scoop of vanilla?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:33 pm
I find the poll results interesting though not surprising.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:54 am
they're not even interesting. they're a great example of phrasing questions in a way that guarantees a predictable answer:

Quote:
All religions should be banned.

these results as you said, shouldn't be surprising. it's a question of where you ask.

Quote:
All religions except mine should be banned.

most people on the forum are more reasonable than that when it comes to religion. who wants to ban most religions, but not all? not many.

Quote:
All religions are nice.

the only thing surprising about this is that anyone voted for it. obviously people unfamiliar with the horrors of a number of religions that wouldn't know how to turn the other cheek if it was the only other part of their body, or maybe they were just looking for a more polite way to say:

Quote:
Who cares?

you can always bank on apathy, at least in the states. our politicians count on it.

let's face it, there aren't any good options in this poll. reminds me of 2004, which should have been a predictable outcome too.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:51 am
Has no one noticed the burlesque intention of the poll?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
sorry neo, once again i figured you were serious.

regardless, it gave me a good opportunity to show how polls can be misused, so that's fun.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 03:22 pm
There should be one more option on the poll.

All public expressing of religion should be outlawed, and action justified by religious motives should be punishable unless they are strictly personal.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
I believe that is the object of the formulism movement.

But the poll was not made to be taken seriously. It was simply a manifestation of my New Jersey personality.

(I don't live there any more; but can't shake the meadowlands aura.)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
Something like: "You can take the girl out of the trailer.."? :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
Sort of.

But you would have to experience the meadow lands to understand completely.

Frank Apisa would understand
0 Replies

MikeDawson

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:31 am
Ban Religion
Yes ban religion, then the majority of the world can finally live in peace.
I am sick and tired of these mindless morons killing each other along with innocent victims caught in the cross-fire.

This is the 21st century lets move on, life is short, you live you die just like an ant...so value your life and live your life ...ban bloody religious crap one and for all !!!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:37 am
Welcome to the forum, MikeDawson. I believe your opinion succinctly expresses the formulist agenda.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:30 pm
Nations united under the guise of mind control.
0 Replies