neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope wunna them is an IPA, edgar
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 08:58 am
@neologist,
Good luck enforcing it. Romans were a lot less dainty than we are today and only made Christianity more popular trying to suppress and eradicate it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 11:18 pm
Apparently, the Russians will be first in line.

Yarovaya Law
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 11:29 pm
@neologist,
Russia the first to follow the UN ban. (They are known to be the strictest followers of the UN, even for crudest ideas the UN has no sayings about.)

Well, just for some by now, but of course the Orthodox and other Christian churches (nearly 50% of the Russian population is Christian) will be the next.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:55 am
@neologist,
I think somebody is toying with you. The UN issued one of the strongest statements AGAINST banning religion that the world has seen.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights. Drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 General Assembly resolution 217(III) A as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations. It sets out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected.

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:56 am
@neologist,
Antony Last is a complete fool and you should know that.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:17 am
@agrote,
You don't even know what you are speaking of. You have met in your life probably a thousand people that you didn't know were religious. Would you really claim to go from your civil dealings with them all the way to hate just on the basis of finding out they are religious.

I think you hate yourself. And I can see why: You know that you are a hypocrite asking for freedom of belief while at the same time hating those who disagree with you. .
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:18 am
@neologist,
Alas you know nothing. They took the salutary measure ALREADY

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights. Drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 General Assembly resolution 217(III) A as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations. It sets out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected.

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:21 am
@neologist,
How uninformed you are. I mean, you would at least know the studies that sought to find the connection, right?

From the Huffington Post (not a religious organ by far)

"History simply does not support the hypothesis that religion is the major cause of conflict. The wars of the ancient world were rarely, if ever, based on religion. These wars were for territorial conquest, to control borders, secure trade routes, or respond to an internal challenge to political authority. In fact, the ancient conquerors, whether Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Greek, or Roman, openly welcomed the religious beliefs of those they conquered, and often added the new gods to their own pantheon."

Your ignorance astounds me and I would have let it pass but it shows the true cause of wars: People like you, ignorant and fueled by hate and pride
AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:22 am
@neologist,
And every debater and lawyer on here laughs that you think 'hardsell' is an enforceable term.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:45 am
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:

Your ignorance astounds me and I would have let it pass but it shows the true cause of wars: People like you, ignorant and fueled by hate and pride

I have been around these parts a few years now, and from experience I don't recall a single hateful expression from Neo. What is it that you have seen that leads you to such a strong statement?

My understanding of his beliefs are that he will go to prison rather than be drafted to fight a war. For that I would commend him, I can safely assume that wars are not caused by people like him.

Where do you stand on "just war" principles?
AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:46 am
@Smileyrius,
Yes, rather than come to the defense of a raped child or bayonetted mother he will get 3 squares. Some pacificism is just cowardice and lack of spine. Don't commend staying on the sidelines so reflexively.
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:51 am
@AugustineBrother,
I think the idea is that God will fix the wrongs of the world, a Christian must be no part of it. I appreciate your examples, but I am inclined to disagree, violence does not fix violence, he who lives by the sword dies by it right?
AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:45 am
@Smileyrius,
No, that is not logical.

What most helps evil is for the good to say, I will do nothing against you.
In war you don't have to hate the enemy. The killing of Nazis should have brought no man joy, but they did need to be killed. And it was heros like my father that were wounded and killed that I have in mind.

It isn't all one thing or the other. If I see an atrocity I do what must be done -- but unlike your implication, I do not enjoy the destruction of the wicked, rather I do need to help the helpless. What would you do if you were around Boko Haram. They abducted over 200 little girls. Hillary fought against calling them terrorists. What else are they? What other fate do they deserve?
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:46 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Is it not written that God will bring justice? that we must not avenge ourselves, but rather vengeance belongs to God?
Is God so slow that you must bring vengeance by way of the sword?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:52 pm
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother wrote:

I do not enjoy the destruction of the wicked, rather I do need to help the helpless. What would you do if you were around Boko Haram. They abducted over 200 little girls. Hillary fought against calling them terrorists. What else are they? What other fate do they deserve?

WHat fate they deserve is not ours to dictate. They will get justice when they are judged, but it does not belong to man to dictate as to whether or not another deserves to live or die

Evil in this world happens, man is inclined to do what is bad, just as in Noahs day. no doubt, if I have it in my hands to stop badness from happening, I will do it, however I will not harm another human in doing so, no mater how "evil" we may judge him to be. by all means incarcerate him, punish him, but I will return evil for evil to no man.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:52 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Whatever the casus belli, wars are fought by people against people. And, who provides the cannon fodder?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:57 pm
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother wrote:
. . . And it was heros like my father that were wounded and killed that I have in mind. . .
I am sorry for your father's suffering. But I take solace in knowing none of my brothers could have caused it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

United Nations to ban religion

Ah, a consumation devoutly to be desired.

Alas, they lack the power to implement such a salutary measure . . .

still waiting

still hoping that this will come to pass
0 Replies

RichRock

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 09:15 am
This clearly defines the blind. Can't see the truth as it is in front of their own eyes.
0 Replies