Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

jcboy

Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:01 am
@farmerman,
Here you go.

What You Missed While Not Watching the Bill Nye and Ken Ham Creation Debate

http://timeswampland.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ap223594161483.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1
edgarblythe

Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:22 am
@jcboy,
I always skip these things, ever since the time I watched M O'Hare and somebody try to scream each other down. Somehow, they always overlook too many relevant facts, on both sides.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:42 am
@jcboy,
I wanted to see that debate but I missed it .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:30 am
@jcboy,
It's nice to see both sides giving their "B" Team a chance to debate.

I like Bill Nye a lot, he's smart and he's passionate, but he's not a good debater. And Ken Ham is a true believer who probably expresses his side well, but he's not a good debater either.

I would love to see Sam Harris taking up the science side in a Creation/Evolution debate, I bet that would be fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:44 am
I agree that neither of them shone in that debate.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:21 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Is intelligent design theory a valid scientific alternative to evolutionary theory or is it only a religious view?

Is there a consensus in the scientific community one way or the other on this issue?

There is no intelligent design, just evolved survival body characteristics.
Frank Apisa

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:24 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Is intelligent design theory a valid scientific alternative to evolutionary theory or is it only a religious view?

Is there a consensus in the scientific community one way or the other on this issue?

There is no intelligent design, just evolved survival body characteristics.

Is there any reason you can think of that "just evolved survival body characteristics"...cannot be the way "something intelligent" designed life to progress?
farmerman

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
you know what Carl Sagan said about
"extraordinary claims needing extraordinary evidence"

Its ok to keep repeating your mantra but all youre doing is offering your mantra one more time. Theres nothing behind your offering besides you insisting that its valid reasoning.

Psst, its not

Not to get you all bent out of shape , but itd be nice, after the next time you repeat this, that you follow it up with
"... and heres why ..."

Otherwise, you could substitute lessee,,,aliens, mojo mamas, and holy honeybadgers.
Frank Apisa

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you know what Carl Sagan said about
"extraordinary claims needing extraordinary evidence"

Its ok to keep repeating your mantra but all youre doing is offering your mantra one more time. Theres nothing behind your offering besides you insisting that its valid reasoning.

Psst, its not

Not to get you all bent out of shape , but itd be nice, after the next time you repeat this, that you follow it up with
"... and heres why ..."

Otherwise, you could substitute lessee,,,aliens, mojo mamas, and holy honeybadgers.

Farmerman...not sure what your problem is...but you have to deal with it.

All this nonsense about no intelligent design is nothing more than people like you saying...THERE IS NO GOD.

IF there is the possibility of a god...there is the possibility of intelligent design.

There is no mantra there...it is a recitation of something that would be obvious to you...if you did not have your mind as tightly shut as you have it.

There is absolutely no way you can categorically rule out the possibility of intelligent design...unless you rule out the possibility of a god.

So take that smarmy nonsense you are trying to peddle...and store it where the sun doesn't shine.

(If there is a GOD...and if the GOD intelligently designed life...here on
Earth, it appears obvious the GOD did it the way science is discovering...not in the manner outlined in the fables of the Bible.)
farmerman

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hmm, and you are saying that I need to deal with a "problem" ?
Your flaming me Frank, why?
Frank Apisa

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I am not flaming you, FM...you are flaming me....and for no good reason.

What I said up above is obvious...and should be obvious to you.

If there is the possibility of a god...then there is the possibility of intelligent design.

I am not saying "there is a god"...I am not even saying "there is the possibility of a god"...I am merely saying that IF there is the possibility of a god...

...there is the possibility of intelligent design.

No two ways about it in that hypothetical.

So the only way we can get to your "there is no possibility of intelligent design"...which apparently is what you are saying...

...is to assert that there is no possibility of a god.

Is that what you are asserting, FM? Are you asserting that there is no possibility of a god?
farmerman

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
whatever fills your garden Frank.

look up "flaming"
Frank Apisa

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

whatever fills your garden Frank.

look up "flaming"

Are you asserting there is no possibility of a god, FM?
0 Replies

fresco

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 02:19 am
@farmerman,
You have my sympathies FM ! Smile

You are quite right asking Frank to qualify his remarks but he has never shown any ability to do so.

It is over 10 years since we have been trying to explain to Frank that the open set of ad hoc hypotheses about causality (be they gods, aliens, etc), are equivalent human social constructions, such that the phrase "possibility of actual independent existence" is facile, as indeed is his mantra about "not doing belief ". He won't accept that that phrase itself constitutes a particularly ludicrous belief on his part!

It is a pity that Frank is likely to be unaware of the "realism/anti-realism debate" in science regarding the ontological status of "entities". That debate has been abandoned by many philosophers and scientists as vacuous.
( Reference: "Arguing about Science" 2012 Alexander Bird, James Ladyman)

Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 05:55 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

You have my sympathies FM ! Smile

You are quite right asking Frank to qualify his remarks but he has never shown any ability to do so.

It is over 10 years since we have been trying to explain to Frank that the open set of ad hoc hypotheses about causality (be they gods, aliens, etc), are equivalent human social constructions, such that the phrase "possibility of actual independent existence" is facile, as indeed is his mantra about "not doing belief ". He won't accept that that phrase itself constitutes a particularly ludicrous belief on his part!

It is a pity that Frank is likely to be unaware of the "realism/anti-realism debate" in science regarding the ontological status of "entities". That debate has been abandoned by many philosophers and scientists as vacuous.
( Reference: "Arguing about Science" 2012 Alexander Bird, James Ladyman)

Get any converts to that religion of yours yet, Fresco?

You've got all the belief nonsense pretty much settled...but you gotta get a god. And using yourself is more likely to amuse than convert.

http://musetracks.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/teehee.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 06:09 am
@fresco,
oy,
Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 07:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

oy,

Are you asserting there is no possibility of a god, FM?

Or have you converted to Frescoism...and consider the question to be absurd?
farmerman

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 08:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
youre getting more and more strident Frank
Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

youre getting more and more strident Frank

Moi? Surely you jest. Wink
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I am not flaming you, FM...you are flaming me....and for no good reason.

What I said up above is obvious...and should be obvious to you.

If there is the possibility of a god...then there is the possibility of intelligent design.

I am not saying "there is a god"...I am not even saying "there is the possibility of a god"...I am merely saying that IF there is the possibility of a god...

...there is the possibility of intelligent design.

No two ways about it in that hypothetical.

So the only way we can get to your "there is no possibility of intelligent design"...which apparently is what you are saying...

...is to assert that there is no possibility of a god.

Is that what you are asserting, FM? Are you asserting that there is no possibility of a god?

It is okay to say intelligent design is "possible," but this is not what intelligent design advocates themselves are saying. Intelligent design advocates claim that there is scientific proof for intelligent design. It is like claiming there is scientific proof of a god (something an agnostic would never claim).