If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

edgarblythe

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:54 am
@Tuna,
Neologist has been here forever. Most long timers have known him for who and what he is and take it in stride. He has helped my own thinking very much. I used to be indifferently atheist. Now I am virulently atheist. Smile
neologist

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:46 am
@Tuna,
Ten + years and no converts, though perhaps a few friends. I have also learned much.

I have no idea why you were so offended by my interpretation of John 1:1 and I'm sorry if the mention of God's personal name has caused you discomfort. But I see no reason to submit to your direction.

Your posts are, nevertheless, interesting. So, I will continue reading them. I have nobody on ignore.
neologist

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Neologist has been here forever. Most long timers have known him for who and what he is and take it in stride. He has helped my own thinking very much. I used to be indifferently atheist. Now I am virulently atheist. Smile
And you're one of the good guys. Imagine what everyone else thinks.
Laughing
edgarblythe

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:50 am
@neologist,
Just digging for the fun of it.
neologist

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:54 am
@edgarblythe,
If a2k wasn't fun, it wouldn't be enjoyable.
0 Replies

Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
That's cool. I was thinking more about new people who come to this forum and are faced with engaging him earnestly only to find that he isn't upfront about his reason for being here. That's crappy.
0 Replies

Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:02 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Ten + years and no converts, though perhaps a few friends. I have also learned much.

I have no idea why you were so offended by my interpretation of John 1:1 and I'm sorry if the mention of God's personal name has caused you discomfort. But I see no reason to submit to your direction.

Your posts are, nevertheless, interesting. So, I will continue reading them. I have nobody on ignore.

I'm not offended by anything you have to say about religion. You have a right to think whatever you like.

But if this was my forum, you would be banned, as you would have been long ago on many forums on the internet. You don't deny that you're here to fish for converts. You bring a little something disgusting to this forum by your lack of honesty.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:06 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Imagine what everyone else thinks.
Laughing
My only bitch is that you aren't willing to engage when an honest discussion happens to bump into your dogma.

But I guess that's what makes it dogma.
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:12 am
@Tuna,
neo would not be banned as you claim. I've known him for years, and enjoy his postings - whether I agree with him or not.
Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
I asked him point blank if he is here to evangelize. He didn't deny it. Yes, on the forums I have participated in, he would be banned when that information came to light.
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:59 am
@Tuna,
I thought we had religious freedom.
Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We do.

There's nothing wrong with people who want to talk about religion. There's nothing wrong with people who want to talk about bonds.

But people who come to a forum specifically looking to sell bonds, but do it in a sneaky, underhanded way so they aren't banned for spamming bring something bad to a forum.

If that sort of thing is allowed, it breeds suspicion. It makes people feel like they have to be wary of the motives of the people they're talking to. That's exactly how I feel now. I don't know who on this forum is only talking to me because they want to entice me to convert to some crazy religion.

Maybe you know everybody on this forum so well that it's not an issue to you. For new people like me, it sucks.

cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:29 pm
@Tuna,
Don't see them often enough to even worry about them. I think I've reported a few when people tried to sell something.
Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 02:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I understand. I think that in a sense, an evangelist is trying to sell something. I realize that overt evangelism is allowed on this forum. It's the covert type that I object to.

Under no circumstances would I invite anybody I know to this forum until the means to protect people from that sort of thing is available.
neologist

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 03:47 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:
I asked him point blank if he is here to evangelize. He didn't deny it. Yes, on the forums I have participated in, he would be banned when that information came to light.
So, I didn't deny it. What I deny is your prejudgement of my motives. Had you taken the time to read my profile or peruse some of my topics, you would know that disciple making is not my goal. That is not to say I feel no responsibility to correct what I believe is misinterpretation of scripture. This is clearly a religious thread. And, it is a thread dealing with the Christian perspective. What did you expect?

Perhaps you do not take kindly to having your pet interpretations challenged. If so, argue back.
neologist

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 04:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
. . . My only bitch is that you aren't willing to engage when an honest discussion happens to bump into your dogma.

But I guess that's what makes it dogma.
There is scarcely any topic I have failed to discuss at one time or another in the last 10 years. If you see me drop a subject of your interest, just remind me. I have a life. A2k is only a fraction of it.

If you are referring to my current carousel with FBM over the subject of evidence, be assured that I have not forgotten the topic. The problem lies in the fact that I have presented evidence in the past, only to have it rejected as circumstantial or anecdotal. (Really, the only evidence that may be presented) So, I am preparing an answer that may be considered of more substance. (May be.) I'm sure Tuna will be relieved that it will likely be a feeble tool of recruitment.
Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 04:28 pm
@neologist,
So, neologist. Do you come to this forum looking for opportunities to evangelize? If that isn't your motive for posting here, just say:

"No. I don't come here to for that."
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 05:10 pm
@Tuna,
No need for anyone to declare what their intentions are to post on a2k.
Tuna

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 05:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I simply asked neologist to declare his intentions. Surely there's no rule against that? If anyone suspects me of nefarious intentions, I welcome them to ask me about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 05:27 pm
Did Jesus wash Socrates' feet when they met in Gethsemane or was that an event from prior to the Sermon on the Mount? Never can keep my dates straight.