If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

Squeakybro

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 09:49 pm
@neologist,
That is an unfair question. There were people in there also were they harmed?
neologist

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:00 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
That is an unfair question. There were people in there also were they harmed?
NO. Who protected them?
Squeakybro

Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:30 am
@neologist,
you said
So angels or spirits are not harmed by fire
I said
The people were not harmed by fire either.
God protected them all.
0 Replies

this-gospel

Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:13 am
@Caesar,
because not everyone believes that Jesus died for them.
neologist

Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:06 am
@this-gospel,
So, you expect us to believe the finite sin of disbelief merits the infinite punishment?

Please explain.
0 Replies

jayram

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 12:22 pm
@Caesar,
According to Matthew 19:18
Lord Jesus said 'Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness".

Without offence, many human beings are not following these recommendations of Lord Jesus. Therefore, God had to create and keep a Hell.
neologist

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 01:02 pm
@jayram,
So, you also believe a loving god would assign infinite punishment for a finite sin. How about Romans 6:7:
Quote:
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 01:10 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

So, you also believe a loving god would assign infinite punishment for a finite sin. How about Romans 6:7:
Quote:
For he that is dead is freed from sin.

That does not seem any more unreasonable than someone assuming there is a GOD who made all that exists...billions of planets circling billions of stars in billions of galaxies...

...but who still is offended by humans who do all the things you suppose offend the god.

It is absurd that Jayram "believes" what you mentioned...but all of it seems absurd. All of it.
0 Replies

in god we trust

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:57 am
There are terrible souls
0 Replies

GoodNews2015

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 08:55 pm
@Caesar,
The word used for "hell" in the Bible is Sheol (Hebrew) and Hades (Greek) and they mean the grave. Burning hell is not an accurate Bible teaching. Dante was instrumental is developing this false teaching. The scriptures clearly say the the wages for sin is "death" Romans 6:23 not eternal torment. That teaching is not consistent with a God of love. It is another demonic teaching that has infiltrated false religion.
Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:32 am
@GoodNews2015,
Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:31 pm
I suspect almost everyone here would agree that there are plenty of "false teachings" in religion!!!

Some would suggest...damn near all of it.

Were you trying to be ironic?
FBM

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:55 am
@GoodNews2015,
Problem is:

Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Matthew 13:50
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mark 9:43
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Matthew 13:42
They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:41
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 19:20
But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

Revelation 20:13-14
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

neologist

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 06:41 am
@FBM,
Problem is:
FBM wrote:
Problem is:
. . .
Revelation 20:13-14
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
The problem is you were so eager to discredit scripture, you failed to notice that if death can be thrown into a lake of fire, we must be dealing in symbolic languge and your entire argument is exposed as a straw man.
FBM

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 07:00 am
@neologist,
It's in the scripture over and over and over again. Your hermeneutics aren't.
neologist

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 09:58 am
@FBM,
You should know by now there are significant variations between versions. One of your citations referred to the word 'hell' where the original text used 'gehenna', a garbage dump outside Jerusalem where sulfurous fires burned constantly and hence, the flame 'never dies'. Dead animals and criminals thrown in there would burn until completely destroyed, not supporting a doctrine of eternal punishment

Add to that the fact that souls are mortal, and your whole argument falls flat.

You may continue to criticise nominal christians for their spurious claims, however. You are good at that.
FBM

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 05:20 pm
@neologist,
You already know that you're at odds with the mainstream Christian believer, and you know that their beliefs and their scripture are the ones I'm addressing, not yours. I found numerous biblical references to hell as a burning place in both old and new testaments. It is reasonable to conclude that the mainstream Christian hell is a place of fire. Your belief in the mortality of the soul is not mainstream Christianity, and something that I wouldn't even argue about, because I've never seen any evidence that a soul exists in the first place.
neologist

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 05:48 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
You already know that you're at odds with the mainstream Christian believer, and you know that their beliefs and their scripture are the ones I'm addressing, not yours. I found numerous biblical references to hell as a burning place in both old and new testaments. It is reasonable to conclude that the mainstream Christian hell is a place of fire. Your belief in the mortality of the soul is not mainstream Christianity, and something that I wouldn't even argue about, because I've never seen any evidence that a soul exists in the first place.
Pretty much understood. I can't defend nominal christianity with its self enriching and ambidextrous meddling in world affairs.
BTW, the Hebrew word for soul is nephesh. It literally means 'breather'. So, animals as well as humans are souls. Soul is not some ethereal thing we possess. It is who we are.
InfraBlue

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 06:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
I can't defend nominal christianity with its self enriching and ambidextrous meddling in world affairs.

So, what does that have to do with the ideas of hell and the soul?

neologist wrote:
BTW, the Hebrew word for soul is nephesh. It literally means 'breather'.

Not necessarily, it means "breath" or "life," as it's used in Job 12:10, for example.

neologist wrote:
So, animals as well as humans are souls. Soul is not some ethereal thing we possess. It is who we are.

As the word is used, it also means that animals as well as humans have souls as some ethereal thing we possess.
gungasnake

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 07:04 pm
@Caesar,
For evolutionists....
0 Replies

GoodNews2015

Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, sorry, I am new here so I am not familiar with the overall opinion but I enjoy lively conversation with open minded, intelligent, and respectful folks so I am hoping I have stumbled upon such ones here.
Smile