Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
Re: validation
banks wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I have not seen anger from anyone, but you are touching on it in your response to Tico

Quote:
The reason it is "obvious" to you is because you lack faith. Had you faith in God, you would have a completely different viewpoint.

Quote:
Your right I may have approached anger, I'll own that, but for Tico to say that I would have a different viewpoint if I had faith is absurd. My viewpoint would be my viewpoint and possibly, quite different from yours.

Why is that absurd? It is absolutely correct. Tico was pointing out that, if you had faith, you would probably have a different viewpoint. You probably would. It may not be the same viewpoint as some of us are voicing, but it would be a different viewpoint that you have now.

Quote:
I mean, what if I had faith in God, but not the God that is depicted in the Bible? Would my viewpoint remain the same?

To the Christian population of the world there is only one God. If you had faith in a different God, then I suppose this entire thread becomes moot. The point is, no matter where your faith may lie your viewpoint could not be the same as it is now. Otherwise your comment that you like to debate would be the only reason for the thread.

Quote:
Besides my point is more about the fact that people cling to the supposed word of God in the form of the Bible, but the Bible is written by man.

Yes, the bible was written by man. Every encyclopedia, dictionary, and every great literary work was written by man. They were written from experiences. The bible was also written from experiences. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God. I am not denying that there may be some inacuracies in the Bible. I do, however, believe in the basic doctrine of the Bible and I believe in God.

That does not make me wrong or a bad person just as your believes do not necessarily make you wrong or a bad person. There is usually never a clear winner in a debate and opposing views usually reman opposing.

Quote:
I am just not willing to put "faith" into something that is a man made creation for all we know. Since man's touch is on everything we know and perceive of the Bible, I just can't buy it, especially since it is loaded with contradictions that can only be answered by faith.

It takes more than faith by itself. The scriptures also tell us that faith without works is a dead faith. A living and vibrant faith is what keeps a Christian steadfast in their believe. Many of the contradictions are not answered by faith, rather they are answered in the knowledge that translations are not perfect.

Did every event in the Bible happen exactly as written? Probably not. The general facts are there, but some changes may have occurred with different authors, translators etc..

True Christians not only have faith, but they have experiences of faith as well. This would be understood by one that has faith, but it would be very difficult to explain this to someone who does not.
0 Replies

banks

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:19 pm
good points
You make some excellent points and although some of my writings may not convey respect, I do respect your opinion.

My opinion will always differ in this matter however and I stick to everything I said in my original post.

However

[/QUOTE]Yes, the bible was written by man. Every encyclopedia, dictionary, and every great literary work was written by man.
Quote:

I think there are very few other books that people base their entire life around and the difference between the Bible and many other books is irrefutable evidence.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:44 pm
Re: intelligence
banks wrote:
Why is it that even some very intelligent people, tend to buy into religion.

Because intelligence and getting things ass-backward are not mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:06 pm
Re: good points
banks wrote:
You make some excellent points and although some of my writings may not convey respect, I do respect your opinion.

My opinion will always differ in this matter however and I stick to everything I said in my original post.

However
Yes,
Quote:
the bible was written by man. Every encyclopedia, dictionary, and every great literary work was written by man.

Quote:
I think there are very few other books that people base their entire life around and the difference between the Bible and many other books is irrefutable evidence.

That is because the Bible is the greatest book ever written.

On the lighter side. I hear, however, that in some circles the Betty Crocker Cook Book holds very high status. :-)
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
Re: good points
Intrepid wrote:
banks wrote:

That is because the Bible is the greatest book ever written.

When ever I hear comments like that or such as the Bible provides a strong moral compass, I can't help but wonder if you have actually read it. How can a book written by unknowledgeable superstitious people that incorporates ancient tribal barbarities and nonsense be considered great or even slightly useful as guidance for modern civilization?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
Well, to be fair, "do unto others etc." and "love thy neighbour as thyself" are pretty up there as moral compasses.

There is a lot of drek about stoning people to death and not eating hopping beasts, and condemning homosexuality, and women having to obey and and such that has not stood the test of time, of course....
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:43 am
So what you're saying Dlowan is that 98% of the bible gives the rest a bad name?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:20 am
All faith presupposes an objective
something that is wanted but not yet, ever quite, had.

It harnesses our wishes and feeds on our hopeful dreams.

And thus religion gains tremendous power, but manipulates
and saps our soul. The great beautiful things that our nature
flows so freely with, become a factory of politics and social
manufacture, so that a few pontifs may gain power.

Who does the thinking? Who decides, calculates, and controls?

Why should the sheep follow and why should the shepherd own
the property of our dreams? Our truest selves
are unto purely ourselves.

Sorry. In this day and age,
so sorry that we cannot be free.

-CB-
Heh. And you thought religion was about
spirituality instead of politics and power?!?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:25 am
There are many reasons for religion even in more intelligent people although it must be pointed out that the higher the education, the higher the probability of not being religious and the lower the IQ the less "sophisticated" and openminded the worldview becomes.

I think one of the least appreciated reasons for belief is family pride and self pride. If I'm a 50 year old scientist who's family have always been "good christians" and I have already devoted my life so far along similar lines, I've even made donations to the church ......then it's going to take a hellava strong nudge to make me see myself and all my ancestors as a bunch of gullible fools. If I begin to suspect we have been, then I'm more likely to overcompensate by being especially devout.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:38 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
So what you're saying Dlowan is that 98% of the bible gives the rest a bad name?

Er - well, YES! I suppose I AM saying that.

Lol!!!!!!
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:30 am
Quote:
although it must be pointed out that the higher the education, the higher the probability of not being religious and the lower the IQ the less "sophisticated" and openminded the worldview becomes.

Do you have a source or "hard numbers" for this?
One of the media's favorite caricatures of Christians today is as undereducated and irrational "sheep". However, having participated in several Christian groups at secular universities (both as an undergrad and graduate student), and now looking around at the church congregations in my area, I'd say the proportion of intelligent, educated people in the Christian population is pretty similar to the general population. Also, given that 125 of the nation's first 127 colleges were founded by Christian organizations, I would say that historically, at least, the media caricature and your statement above have their origins more in prejudice than in fact.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:24 am
lab rat I'm sure you'll appreciate I was not saying that all smart people are atheists and all dumb people are religious, my point was less obtuse.

Surely it's obvious that more intelligent people would question what they are told to believe than less intelligent ones, but you are right to ask me to justify my reckless claim.

I don't have the "hard numbers" to hand although I have seen them on paper. I'll see what I can find and get back to you.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
Ahhh paydirt......

1. Thomas Howells, 1927
Study of 461 students showed religiously conservative students "are, in general, relatively inferior in intellectual ability."

2. Hilding Carlsojn, 1933
Study of 215 students showed that "there is a tendency for the more intelligent undergraduate to be sympathetic toward… atheism."

3. Abraham Franzblau, 1934
Confirming Howells and Carlson, tested 354 Jewish children, aged 10-16. Found a negative correlation between religiosity and IQ as measured by the Terman intelligence test.

4. Thomas Symington, 1935
Tested 400 young people in colleges and church groups. He reported, "There is a constant positive relation in all the groups between liberal religious thinking and mental ability… There is also a constant positive relation between liberal scores and intelligence…"

5. Vernon Jones, 1938
Tested 381 students, concluding "a slight tendency for intelligence and liberal attitudes to go together."

6. A. R. Gilliland, 1940
At variance with all other studies, found "little or no relationship between intelligence and attitude toward god."

7. Donald Gragg, 1942
Reported an inverse correlation between 100 ACE freshman test scores and Thurstone "reality of god" scores.

8. Brown and Love, 1951
At the University of Denver, tested 613 male and female students. The mean test scores of non-believers was 119 points, and for believers it was 100. The non-believers ranked in the 80th percentile, and believers in the 50th. Their findings "strongly corroborate those of Howells."

9. Michael Argyle, 1958
Concluded that "although intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, they are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs."

10. Jeffrey Hadden, 1963
Found no correlation between intelligence and grades. This was an anomalous finding, since GPA corresponds closely with intelligence. Other factors may have influenced the results at the University of Wisconsin.

11. Young, Dustin and Holtzman, 1966
Average religiosity decreased as GPA rose.

12. James Trent, 1967
Polled 1400 college seniors. Found little difference, but high-ability students in his sample group were over-represented.

13. C. Plant and E. Minium, 1967
The more intelligent students were less religious, both before entering college and after 2 years of college.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
There was more but I didn't want to be greedy
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:04 am
Well Earl,
You seem to have defeated your own point. These 'studies' were conducted between 38 and 78 years ago. Don't you have anything recent?

Some of the cited studies included a couple hundred participants...what is the probability for error in that? Other studies showed no relationship once way or the other.

These 'studies' do not prove anything about your claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-religious. I don't think that you have proven yourself to be more intelligent than any of the folks that have replied to your thread.

You seem to take your hypothesis from one area to another as though you are searhing for something in which you can be proven right. Benjamin Disraeli once said, in a speech, that "It is much easier to be critical than correct." Alexander Pope once said, "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."

And then there was Edmund Burke who said, "The writers against religion, whilst they oppose every system, are wisely careful never to set up any of their own."

I can only hope that you did not insult the intelligence of the intelligent believers whose faith will remain unwavering.

I will leave you with the words of Thomas Traherne. "All men see the same objects, but all men to not equally understand them. Intelligence is the tongue that discerns and tastes them."
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
As I said Intrepid..there was more.....I didn't want to paste everything so I stopped...the studies didn't. I'm not actually that worried about this but figures were asked for so figures I got. Here's just a little more though since you're so keen....

14. Robert Wuthnow, 1978
Of 532 students, 37 percent of Christians, 58 percent of apostates, and 53 percent of non-religious scored above average on SATs.

15. Hastings and Hoge, 1967, 1974
Polled 200 college students and found no significant correlations.

16. Norman Poythress, 1975
Mean SATs for strongly antireligious (1148), moderately anti-religious (1119), slightly antireligious (1108), and religious (1022).

17. Wiebe and Fleck, 1980
Studied 158 male and female Canadian university students. They reported "nonreligious S's tended to be strongly intelligent" and "more intelligent than religious S's."

.......INSERT MANY MORE STUDIES HERE.......

Conclusion

The consensus here is clear: more intelligent people tend not to believe in religion. And this observation is given added force when you consider that the above studies span a broad range of time, subjects and methodologies, and yet arrive at the same conclusion.

This is the result even when the researchers are Christian conservatives themselves. One such researcher is George Gallup. Here are the results of a Fall 1995 Gallup poll:

Percentage of respondents who agreed with the following statements:

Religion is "very important in their life" // Religion can"answer all or most of today's problems"

Attended college 53 percent // 58 percent
No college 63 percent // 65 percent

And yes there is more, but I don't feel the need to go digging any further.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:23 am
I would like to see 'religion' treated more or less like sex; it would be banned from the lives of children until they reach the 'age of consent' (considered to be the age at which they can as young adults, make up their own minds, and make rational choices).
Unfortunately biology only assists in keeping sex 'under wraps' through childhood (except for the vilest of offensive adult demands), but no such 'protection' exists for keeping the minds of children open to seek out the truth, rather than 'learn' it.

[given the choice.................]
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:24 am
Couldn't agree more BGW
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:34 am
Eorl wrote:
lab rat I'm sure you'll appreciate I was not saying that all smart people are atheists and all dumb people are religious, my point was less obtuse.

Surely it's obvious that more intelligent people would question what they are told to believe than less intelligent ones, but you are right to ask me to justify my reckless claim.

I believe to be as obvious that more intelligent people would hesitate to believe that everything was created by cosmic chance or accident. I think it is true that both intellegent and unintelligent folks would indeed question what they are told, but not necessarily reject same based on their level of intelligence alone.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:55 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I believe to be as obvious that more intelligent people would hesitate to believe that everything was created by cosmic chance or accident. I think it is true that both intellegent and unintelligent folks would indeed question what they are told, but not necessarily reject same based on their level of intelligence alone.

In a universe where everything occurs purely by chance, does it make sense to thing that the lives of one small band of apes are guided and protected by an evanescent, omnipotent creator, that itself had no beginning, or creator.

[i'll opt for chance, thank you.]
0 Replies