what do u actually put in garlic bread???

ceme87

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
???????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,692 • Replies: 22
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:21 pm
butter and garlic - that's it!
0 Replies

ceme87

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:22 pm
really wow i thought there was more
well thanx
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:25 pm
Garlic bread, like a lot of food, can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
Hi ceme87 and welcome to a2k.

Title: Garlic Bread
Categories: Breadmaker
Yield: 1 servings

-Marie Frainier *DGCP02C*
3/4 c Water
2 c Plus (see below)
1 tb Bread Flour
1 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 tb Applesauce
2 tb Parmesan (freshly grated)
1/2 ts Sweet basil
1/2 ts Garlic powder
1/2 ts Garlic paste
1 1/2 ts Yeast

1/4 t finely chopped garlic may be substituted for the paste. 1 POUND LOAF
Add all ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual
and
process on the basic bread cycle according to the manufacturer's
directions. Let the loaf cool before slicing.
0 Replies

ceme87

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:33 pm
wow apple sauce !!!!!!!!!!!
u serious does it actually taste good
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
Some people use olive oil instead of butter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:52 pm
I don't like to use garlic powder, so I try to have some fresh as well as roasted garlic around if I'm thinking of making garlic bread. It's a nice cold weather treat, I think.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
I just grab a french bread, finely chop some garlic and mix it in with butter. I like to put some parsely in there as well. I cut the bread in half the long way, spread my garlic/butter mixture on the bread and bake it at 400 in the oven until it's a little browned at the top.
Sometimes I put shredded cheese on top a few minutes before I take it out of the oven.

Yummy! I love garlic bread.

If I'm strapped for time, I just buy garlic butter already made at the store.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:52 pm
I like to sorta "Double Garlic" it; I'll make a loaf of French or Italian bread, usin' a commercial mix, addin' a tablespoon or so of very fine garlic powder, and a couple tablespoons of garlic-and-herb seasoning (I like the Mrs. Dash brand - there are others). For the spread, I use about a stick of butter and couple healthy tablespoons of olive oil, into which I mix freshly crushed garlic - several cloves worth, more or less 'till it tastes about right. I squeeze the garlic press right over the butter-olive oil mixture to get all the garlic juice in there, too. To serve, I split the loaf, score it deeply, but not all-the-way-through, widthwise into convenient finger-food sized slices, slather it liberally with the spread, makin' sure to get it in between the sliced edges too, pop it into a 375º oven for about 10-12 minutes, sprinkle it with fresh grated parmesan, and enjoy.
0 Replies

ceme87

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:18 pm
ya like i use parseltey mazeralle cheese olive oil n garlic n i put whatever i have in my spice rack
thanx everyone
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:22 pm
My favorite is more what is called Bruschetta than garlic bread, but this thread reminded me of it.

I use a storebought ciabatta, which is a loaf of italian bread that is fairly long and relatively flat. I am lucky, in that good loaves of hearthbread in different shapes are available to me locally. I slice that in half so that it makes two long and even thinner layers of bread.

I take a 32 ounce can of diced tomatoes and drain them in a sieve very well, squeezing down with a big spoon to get rid of much of the juice. I chop up several cloves of garlic, maybe even a whole head of garlic, and add it to the tomatoes. I add a few tablespoons of good olive oil and some torn up fresh basil - several leaves into smaller pieces. Add salt and pepper.

I put the bread on a baking sheet, cover the bread with the tomato garlic mix, and broil until ready (I keep an eye on it, watch for burning.) Take out of oven, transfer to bread board, slice into hand-holdable portions, for example, 2" x 4".

I've friends who do this using some of the fat leftover from grilled sausages as a coat on the cut side of the bread before adding the tomatoes.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:26 am
I always used a mix of olive oil and butter and fresh, chopped garlic cloves. I sliced a french loaf or baguette in slices and put the above mixture between the slices, which were wrapped in aluminum foil and warmed in the oven.

A friend used her mother-in-law's recipe, which involved laying the slices on a cookie sheet, smearing it with the above and broiling it. The problem is they always burned it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
I have done similar to Montana, but actually sauté the garlic in butter first or use olive oil as some one else suggested. Another similar way to prepare with a little less work, but with great flavor is to buy one of those jars of minced garlic and spread that on with butter or olive oil. Or you could already buy dipping oil with garlic and herbs that saves lots of work and tastes great.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:43 am
I'm generally a little anxious about the jars of minced garlic, as I read it is very perishable and fertile growing medium for bacteria. That seems counter intuitive: how could anything live in garlic?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
I don't know plainoldme - I've been using these jars for years - I do keep them in the fridge though. It has never caused me any problems and simplifies anything I use garlic for -
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:13 am
Ya know, for years I've used the food processor to mince up enough fresh garlic to last a couple weeks or so (and I use garlic in damned near everything but chocolate Laughing ), which then is kept in the 'fridge in a 1-quart Ball jar - I'm sorta with Linkat on this. I have never noticed any spoilage. I'm pretty scrupulous about kitchen cleanliness, and avoidin' cross-contamination, which might be a factor. I dunno.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:34 am
finger food sized slices? with garlic bread? are you nuts? half a loaf or nuthin.
I like Montanas way, except we have a nice Italian bakery that bakes fresh bread 2 times a day and people are in line for it. Grab one of them bad boys , split in half and make a schmootzlich of butter and garlic . Schmear on the schmootzlich and broil till brown and crispy on the top (this is a very eyeball intensive task because the difference between brown and crispy top and charcoal is just about 10 seconds of daydreaming)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:17 pm
Alright, this is the week between pay periods, and I'm broke. Had an orange for lunch. This thread is making me drool.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Anybody ever try roastin' peeled garlic cloves, drizzled with a little olive oil, in an uncovered terra cotta dish? About 20-25 minutes at around 350º F, add just a touch of coarse salt, mash it up, and you've got an excellent spread. I do it on the Webber pretty often, too; the slight smokiness is a nice change once in a while. Just a thought - give it a shot.
0 Replies