My house makes has constant humming sound What can it be

Ode2u

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:36 pm
My house has a constant mechnical humming sound that is very audible at night when the house should be totally quiet. I cannot determine the source of this sound, You can hear it all over the house. There is telephone, electric and cable TV connected to the house. Does anyone know what can cause this sound. It actually keeps me awake at night. The best way I can describe it is as a mechanical humming vibration sound that doen not seem to be centralized in on part of the walls. No one can tell me what this is. I've lived here 30 years and this has only started within the past several months. Please HELP me figure this out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 20,548 • Replies: 33
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:07 pm
Refrigerator ghost.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:32 pm
Where is the breaker box? Perhaps some old breakers are humming.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
Have you checked out the appliances? Maybe you misplaced the alarm clock? LOL You don't have a hearing aid do ya? LOL
0 Replies

Ode2u

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
This has allowed my frends to have alot of fun with this; one of them tells me I have a Haint. (Southern for ghost) I'm not crazy. I'd really like to even find out what kind of an expert to call in on this. I don't know where to start
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:38 pm
Check the transformer for the furnace and/or central AC.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:49 pm
If you hear the humming all the time, you can start to eliminate causes for it. Turn off all your breakers or turn them off one by one and see if the humming goes away. If it does, then you can try to track it down. If it doesn't then you know it isn't electrical past the breaker box and can move on to the next option.

Turn off you water and open a faucet to drain the pressure. Water pipes can make noise but usually not a humming sound.

Do you have roof turbine vents? Sometimes they can make noise as they turn.

Are you sure the sound is in your house and not outside? Syn's suggestion of a transformer is possibility.

If all else fails, take the exercise wheel away from the squirrels in your attic.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:09 pm
The transformer could be in the basement or crawlspace. If it's getting louder, it probably needs to be replaced.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:56 pm
I'm leaning towards a graveyard that used to be where you house was... they moved the headstones, BUT DIDN'T MOVE THE GRAVES!! Happens all the time.

Synonymph wrote:
The transformer could be in the basement or crawlspace. If it's getting louder, it probably needs to be replaced.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but you all recall what happens to the person who goes into the basement or some other small, unlit (dang lights aren't working!) place in the haunted house? Hire some homeless person or ask your in-laws to do that task for you.
0 Replies

Ode2u

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:28 pm
The breaker box is in the laundry room on the lower level of the house. The house is a split level style and there is a crawl space under the kitchen and living room. Is there a transformer separate from the breaker box? It does seem to be getting louder. The house is 32 years old with original breaker box. Never have had any problems. I did turn off the main breaker and could still hear the noise.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:54 am
Yes, there is very possibly a separate transformer for the furnace and/or central AC. Is the furnace located in the crawlspace? That's probably where you'll find the transformer. They normally emit a very low electrical hum, but if you're noticing it more, it needs to be looked at by a qualified servicer.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:40 am
I bet I know what it is.... I'd suggest you contact a quality bee relocation service. You have a beehive in one of your walls.
Synonymph

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:13 pm
Bees that buzz all through the night...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
What? Sure they do. They work constantly. They cannot fly without sunlight, but they work on the hive.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What? Sure they do. They work constantly. They cannot fly without sunlight, but they work on the hive.

Since a bee makes the buzzing sound by flapping their wings and cannot fly without sunlight, why are they flapping their wings? Shocked

I agree with the transformer part. Also, check the door cover on the furnace....it can produce an audible buzz if it is not tight
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:29 pm
Bee hives hum 24X7. They flap their wings to help keep themselves cool, amongst other things. Geesh, I cannot believe you people are arguing with me. He said he shut off the main breaker and the hum continued. I'll bet money I am right.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Bee hives hum 24X7. They flap their wings to help keep themselves cool, amongst other things. Geesh, I cannot believe you people are arguing with me. He said he shut off the main breaker and the hum continued. I'll bet money I am right.

Not arguing with you. Just providing another point of view. Not knowing the geographical location, I do not even know whether bees would be active at this time of year Cool
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
Intrepid, the sound is constant, though. The furnace door wouldn't make noise when not in use, and I think this person said they live in the south, so it's unlikely the furnace would be running constantly. The transformer humming can easily reverberate throughout the house, especially if it's in the crawlspace.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:37 pm
Thanks for pointing that out Synonymph. I missed the south part. I sure hope it is not something in the wiring.

I still don't think it is bees Laughing
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
Maybe it's wasps. Or hornets. They might live in the Overlook II.

If it's the transformer, it probably just needs to be replaced.
0 Replies