Florida to end "leftist totalitarianism" by "dictator profs"

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 11:42 pm
DrewDad wrote:
And so Gunga hijacks another thread....

The thread had already been hijacked when I got here. When people talk about George Bush like he's some sort of a flake for making a minimalistic truthful statement about evolutionism I feel it my civic duty to enlighten them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:17 am
Brandy wrote:
blatham posted
Quote:
Where a professor marks your paper either up or down based on agreement with his political ideas, then he ought immediately to be taken to task, personally by you and then if that doesn't ammeliorate the problem, with his/her department head, or above. That is anywhere and anytime. Of course, it ought to apply (intellectually) to a discussion, say, on abortion at a Christian university. You should write this event up, carefully and accurately with full details and file a report.

Such student activism would certainly make the student feel better should she prevail and receive her pound of flesh. She would also have a reputation on that campus that would not further her education.

But how do you know this will be the consequence if you haven't tried it? It is NOT a consequence I ever witnessed. In fact, something quite the opposite was the case...students who demonstrated independence of mind and courage of speech gain the affinity of educators far moreso than do those who merely sit there and play the "I must get a 3.5 GPA and thinking/learning isn't much important." If to you, "furthering your education" means merely a job at the end, then you'll likely get exactly the education furthering you wish for. Not much.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:25 am
gunga can be ignored on these issues without too much damage to the general discourse.

There was a lovely case about a decade past where a bit of the Shroud of Turin was dated using one of the dependable chemical tests now available to archaeologists. The testing was welcomed by those who thought the shroud to have been layed over christ at the time he died. Test results however, showed the shroud to be much more recent than that. The response from a true beliver to this news..."Well, we don't know what sort of energies are released in an ascention and how they might disrupt the chemical composition of the materials in the shroud."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:11 pm
blatham, I agree. We can safely ignore the extreme flakes who are clearly suffering from hardening of the categories. No evidence (not even the weight of evidence from multiple disciplines) can shake their dogmatic committments which seem more psychological than intellectual.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:25 pm
blatham wrote:
gunga can be ignored on these issues without too much damage to the general discourse.

There was a lovely case about a decade past where a bit of the Shroud of Turin was dated using one of the dependable chemical tests now available to archaeologists. The testing was welcomed by those who thought the shroud to have been layed over christ at the time he died. Test results however, showed the shroud to be much more recent than that. The response from a true beliver to this news..."Well, we don't know what sort of energies are released in an ascention and how they might disrupt the chemical composition of the materials in the shroud."

Recent Discovery or History channel piece on the Shroud claimed it was because of a fire in a monestary in the mid 1500s skewed the carbon dating of the shroud. That might be possible but considering the shroud first appeared during that time the other more likely possibility is that it was created then. Imagine the controversy if the Bible said that a piece of toast had been laid on Christ what with that recent sale on ebay of Christ's face on toast.
0 Replies