• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,931 • Replies: 224
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:12 pm
Re: Florida to end "leftist totalitarianism" by &q
DrewDad wrote:
But Baxley compared the state's universities to children, saying the legislature should not give them money without providing "guidance" to their behavior.

Ahhh...these are heady times for the conservative legions
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:23 pm
I think this is a great bill. It should bring a level playing field to students against the elite in the Universities. I'm sure once this gets going, that most if not most of the professors will change the way the treat students.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:30 am
"But Baxley brushed off Gelber's concerns. "Freedom is a dangerous thing, and you might be exposed to things you don't want to hear,""

This is disappointing coming from consevatives. We're supposed to try and quell our sue happy society, not promote it. How will this be enforced? To what effect?

Its more useless, ineffective legislation that is likely to be abused. They just keep whittling away.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:01 am
Quote:

Hey, I thought the conservatives were all against "trial lawyers?"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:08 am
... and frivolous lawsuits!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:09 am
Just the ones that continually file frivolous law suits.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:13 am
Legislation would not be required if "Wimp" college administrators would enforce true accademic freedom in the classroom. It is paradoxical that leftist professors are guilty of the crime in their classrooms that they are so quick to challenge when it comes to THEIR accademic freedom.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:16 am
It is completely assinine to try to legislate such a thing.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
I was under the impression that the United States encouraged freedom of thought.
Apparently, it only encourages right-wing freedom of thought.

On the bright side, the US can even "one-up" themselves as the most litigious country in the world if this goes through.
Glad to see suing is still en vogue.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
candidone1 wrote:
I was under the impression that the United States encouraged freedom of thought.
Apparently, it only encourages right-wing freedom of thought.

Oh, they're just trying to even out the playing field. You see, there's a left-wing consipiracy to indoctrinate students. You can see it: conservative kids who go to college come back as liberals. That's PROOF, I tell you, PROOF!

Nevermind the fact that if you don't like your college/university you could always just go somewhere else.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
Quote:
While promoting the bill Tuesday, Baxley said a university education should be more than "one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls the classroom," as part of "a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the next generation with their own views."

I was instructed in a senior level political science course by a professor who was very right-wing.
I thought he was brilliant. He was well published, well spoken and well versed in his political philosophies.
I didn't agree with him on many accounts, but I nevertheless valued his perspective and would encourage such freedoms to continue.

Although a disguisting trend by the right (citing left-wing impotence whilst villifying Hollywood, the MSM, Universities & Colleges and other apparently leftist "outlets") it is interesting.
I see where some of the fascist accusations come into play now.
I didn't before.

Quote:
Clearly, there is a national trend toward stifling speech, usually in the context of criticizing President Bush or speaking out against the war in Iraq, but this is taking it to the next level. Taking things to the next level, however, is a natural for most Republicans.

Source
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
The repubs are now the party of suing people who aren't being tolerant.

The anti-PC patrol wil be most displeased.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:16 am
I believe that's a rather huge leap Einherjar.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:17 am
What do you think of this proposed legislation, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:20 am
I think it's silly.

I also believe college professors need to keep in mind the students pay to attend their classes and that students should be treated as customers.

I had to remind a professor of that during my college years. He didn't appreciate it.

This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't an issue.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
McGentrix wrote:
I believe that's a rather huge leap Einherjar.

It was sort of tongue in cheek.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:29 am
McGentrix wrote:
I think it's silly.

Good for you, and I agree.

Quote:
I also believe college professors need to keep in mind the students pay to attend their classes and that students should be treated as customers.

I had to remind a professor of that during my college years. He didn't appreciate it.

This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't an issue.

Why abandon free market principles in higher education? Professors should well remember that, but at the same time, students can remind them with their checkbook.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:51 am
Has anyone else noticed that Florida is the common theme to all of these Liberal-Conservative issue threads?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
Baldimo wrote:
I think this is a great bill. It should bring a level playing field to students against the elite in the Universities. I'm sure once this gets going, that most if not most of the professors will change the way the treat students.

You use the word elite like I would use the word pedophile in the context of your post. Who do you suggest teaches our children at the University level? The AAMCO man? Or maybe just graduates of Bob Jones University?

I would suggest that the religious right who seem to be below the surface if not right up front of all this type of legislation and ideas for remaking America are nothing if not an elitist group. At least that's how they present as seeing themselves. Who is more of an elitist than the people who have the fast and only track to Heaven?

I suppose a pendulum has to swing both extreme right and extreme left before it settles in the middle but it seems like everytime it looks as though it might be ready to settle, someone is standing on either side to give it a shove. <sigh>
0 Replies