Ever sat alone in a film theatre?

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:49 pm
What are your most lonely filmgoing experiences?

I once went to see a Czech movie in the local art-house cinema, "The Cow", I believe, where the only visitors apart from me were a group of five - three boys, two girls, I believe. Two of the boys were Dutch, and I heard them contentedly whisper to each other: they'll like this, won't they, a movie from their own country, this was a good idea!

Alas, as I heard as soon as the movie started and the three others, after remaining politely silent for a few moments, erupted in first shy, then confused, and finally slightly alarmed whispers amongst themselves, their guests were - Hungarian. A language absolutely unrelated to the language of the movie - which was subtitled in Dutch, which can't have helped either.

They left as soon as the Hungarians had gathered the courage to tell their hosts, in an embarassed flutter. I was alone.

The movie? An old-fashioned, realistic tribute to the life of the countryside, infused with religion and slow-paced despite the tragedies burdened onto the protagonist ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 7,638 • Replies: 66
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:52 pm
I also saw an Uzbek movie, The Doves' Bell-Ringer, at the Rotterdam Film Festival, in an immense cinema, in which five or six rows' worth of people were present for the start of the movie. As the overwhelmingly slow pace of the sad but mostly uneventful story drove group after group of viewers away, I felt ever more isolated - appropriate enough considering the total literal and spiritual isolation which the two protagonists, lovers who exchanged hardly a word, and few of those friendly, stumbled through life in, I guess. I considered leaving often, I must admit, but I'm stubborn, and by the very end of the movie, when only a literal handful of us was left, I was actually moved, nearly to tears even.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:25 pm
From the descriptions of the films you two were watching, it's no wonder y'all were alone....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:34 pm
Good point, blacksmithn.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:50 pm
I go to the movies by myself frequently. When I worked nights, I was frequently one of the few (if not the only) moviegoer in the theatre for an early matinee. It's not the best way to see a comedy, but it's quite lovely to have peace and quiet (and no cellphones ringing) for a serious film!

I once was given two free passes by a manager because I was the only person who'd purchased a ticket and they didn't want to run the movie just for me. Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:56 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
From the descriptions of the films you two were watching, it's no wonder y'all were alone....

<grins> Well, duh. Of course.

If you choose to explore the less obvious choices in the film programme, you're bound to get some pretty weird marbles in your bag, too. East European movies are notoriously meagerly visited in general, though, whether bad or brilliant. I've also seen movies that were among the best I've ever seen in cinemas where I was alone with two or three others ...

I was wondering about similar anecdotes from others!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
macsm11 wrote:
I once was given two free passes by a manager because I was the only person who'd purchased a ticket and they didn't want to run the movie just for me.

Very Happy

I once had the opposite of your good luck: I went to a small town near here where the local arthouse cinema had a weekly screening; that week, it would have a movie by a Romanian director, that had been highly praised in the reviews, and that we had missed when it had screened in our city.

We arrived a little late, worried about not being let in, but when we did, there was sad news: as nobody had come to see the movie, they had cancelled it, the operator was already in the back packing up! I never did get to see the film ... :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:32 am
The least number of people I've experienced in a movie theatre is 3. That was 2 weeks ago when I saw Star Trek Nemesis.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:46 am
Not too long ago, they did a redo of the original Hitchcock's "Vertigo". There was a lot of publicity about it, and I thought a lot of people would go to see the movie.

I went to a "twilight" (4-6 pm show) which is usually a quiet time. But this was REALLY quiet. Obviously the people in my area were underwhelmed with the idea of seeing Vertigo. I was the only one in the theatre.

I loved it. I sat where I wanted. I did not have to listen to people making comments all through the movie,or the rustle of popcorn. It was one of the nicest movie experiences that I have ever had!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 02:26 am
Thats my dream movie experience Phoenix. In my area it seems couples like to go to the movies to work through their relationship problems, verbally.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:27 am
Phoenix, I was lucky to have this experience once, also. I went to see 'The Gift' on a Wednesday at 6:00 pm. Usually, they show movies at 8:00 pm. I don't know why they had chosen this additional time. Anyway, they were showing The Gift and some kid movie. I went there and the owner of the movie theater looked at me and said: 'What do you want here?' We've known each other for years. I said I wanted to see The Gift. Turned out I was the only person in the whole movie theater. And I did the same thing as you did, Phoenix. Took one of the double 'couple' seats they have and had a wonderful time! And Larry, I always dreamed of that, too. It was as neat as I had imagined it :-)
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:29 pm
I am probably in a movie theater five times a week. I usually go to the earliest show and more often than not there are less than twenty people in the audience; however I have only been the sole audience member about three times. If I had my way, I would always be the sole audience member. Aside from the annoyance of talkers, chewers and paper rattlers, I am also annoyed when people laugh at something I don't find humorous. This is just my personal quirk. I do not need other peoples reactions to reenforce my own be it with joy or sorrow.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
I went to see "Body Heat" alone on my birthday. Left before it was over. Too much sex when I wasn't getting any ha-ha. It just made me feel worse.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:10 pm
wow, that's cool, i think i've stumbled into another us/european difference. in europe - or holland, in any case - films only screen at, say, 8 and 10, with an extra 4 PM afternoon showing on sundays and for kids' movies perhaps on wednesdays. Only the multiplexes in the biggest cities have continuous screenings thruoghout the day.

So, considering there are only two screenings a day of a film, usually, the only chance you'll ever get of being nearly alone in a film theatre is if you go to see a really obscure film; whence my examples. Whereas the examples most of you have are of bigger movies, but just at unlikelier times. Interesting.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:19 pm
I have gone to the movies alone several times, and I don't mind it at all.

As stated before, you can sit anyplace you wish, you're not bothered by someone asking questions like, "what did he say?", etc. etc.

I think everyone should go to the movies alone, once in a blue moon.

It's an experience, and you really don't "FEEL" alone ... except for those of you who were the only one in the theatre:)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:25 pm
Misti26 wrote:
I have gone to the movies alone several times, and I don't mind it at all.

It's an experience, and you really don't "FEEL" alone ... except for those of you who were the only one in the theatre:)

Oh, I often go to movies alone, that's not uncommon at all - not in the "arthouse" cinemas, anyway. You might end up in a movie theatre filled half by people on their own. I wouldn't quickly go to see a James Bond movie by myself though, or, say, Charlie's Angels ;-).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:02 pm
Nimh, I think it is easier for a man to go anywhere alone than it is for a woman. When I finally went to a movie alone I loved it and that was the last time I hesitated.
I think it is especially nice, when you are watching a seious film, to be the only one or two people in the theater. My husband and I went to a comedy once and were the only two in the theater. The comedy wasn't very good and the silence of the theater made it seem even more morose.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:29 pm
I have yet to be the only patron in a theater, pretty close a couple of times for those afternoon weekday multiplex shows but, I have gone to the movies by myself quite often, and I generally watch movies at home alone as well....well, if you dont count the cats that is.
Thinking about it, I went to a few of the Star Wars alone...but, I was hardly alone in the theater, and in fact mostly to a packed premier is what I would say. Funny that couples kept walking by trying to find a place to sit..I felt fortunate really that I had gone alone. A few months ago showed up at a multiplex with company to see a hot off the presses film, and showing up when the film was just beginning in those places can be rough. Ended up in the front where they have the regular 'stationary' type seating and you have to put your head back to not get dizzy. There were a few single seats but, as a couple you really have a better time sitting near each other....although sometimes Ive thought that eventually someone would make room if I tried to have a conversation or share snacks and such with SO seated somwhere else in the theater. Wink
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:16 pm
I intentionally pick films with poor box office performance, go to early shows and hide in the back until after the movie starts. Then I quietly slip down a few rows and make my way behind a lone patron. Once there, I stand absolutely still while my warm moist breath descends down their collar and sends shivers down their spine.

Call it a hobby. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:40 am
Shocked A Hitchcock fan aren't you, muerte?
0 Replies