Where is the US economy headed?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I doubt it, cyclops, and if it is private sector, it is as a result of doing government contract work, which will not last, it will dry up once Obama gets done with the spending binge and the government is so broke that it cannot keep spending at the same pace.

But once the economy has recovered to a significant level, it self-runs. That's the whole point of stimulus - it's just a shot in the arm until the patient is back on it's feet.

A construction company who gets a government contract to build something and spends three years during a recession making freeways, upon the end of that contract often finds that there's plenty of private business waiting for them.

Quote:
I am hoping the economy gets better when it has reason to get better, when people begin hoping the next election will turn things around.

What? You don't want it to improve right now?

Quote:
The economy can improve based upon future outlook, and if people begin to think Congress will be changed in a big way next fall, the market will begin to come back a little by mid year, I think, but of course who knows. This would be a similar effect as when the market and the economy began to sink when it became more and more apparent that Obama would win, and so far that outlook was a very accurate prediction, as his policies have utterly failed so far.

Unbelievable. The market 'sank' because of the financial crash, caused by a failure of YOUR party to regulate while they were in charge. And this you call the market reacting to Obama's probable win?

******* nuts, Okie. That opinion is insane.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 01:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

I doubt it, cyclops, and if it is private sector, it is as a result of doing government contract work, which will not last, it will dry up once Obama gets done with the spending binge and the government is so broke that it cannot keep spending at the same pace.

But once the economy has recovered to a significant level, it self-runs. That's the whole point of stimulus - it's just a shot in the arm until the patient is back on it's feet.

A construction company who gets a government contract to build something and spends three years during a recession making freeways, upon the end of that contract often finds that there's plenty of private business waiting for them.
I think that is flawed reasoning or a false assumption, because at the end of the round of government spending, the same conditions still exist that caused the recession in the first place, that is if nothing has been done long term to fix the underlying problem, and if the only thing government does is spend more money, then nothing has been done to fix the problem It is akin to ignoring the hole in the bottom of the boat, but claiming that bailing water from the boat for a few minutes will solve the problem.

Quote:
Quote:
I am hoping the economy gets better when it has reason to get better, when people begin hoping the next election will turn things around.

What? You don't want it to improve right now?

Its not that I don't hope it gets better , but I just don't think there are long term reasons for it to get better. To use the boat analogy from my above answer, it does no good to hope the boat doesn't sink, if I know there is a hole in the boat. I would rather see the hole get fixed, and then I could have real hope, hope that is well founded.

Quote:
Quote:
The economy can improve based upon future outlook, and if people begin to think Congress will be changed in a big way next fall, the market will begin to come back a little by mid year, I think, but of course who knows. This would be a similar effect as when the market and the economy began to sink when it became more and more apparent that Obama would win, and so far that outlook was a very accurate prediction, as his policies have utterly failed so far.

Unbelievable. The market 'sank' because of the financial crash, caused by a failure of YOUR party to regulate while they were in charge. And this you call the market reacting to Obama's probable win?

******* nuts, Okie. That opinion is insane.

Cycloptichorn

You call any opinion that doesn't agree with yours as insane, but I can tell you what other business people were thinking and doing. Obviously I cannot speak for all, but the market responds to future outlook as much as it does current conditions, in my opinion. And I knew of a number of people that were very pessimistic about an Obama administration, and they quit investing and began to pull out of the market, plus business plans became more tentative because of the uncertainty. I don't know what would have happened with a McCain presidency, but I believe the economy would be much better now than it currently is under Obama.
okie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 02:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hey cyclops, go back to basics, what do you do first if your budget does not balance, I think you look for cutting parts of your expenditures first. You can also look for a better paying job, but you cannot count on that and continue to spend more and more money, you must first cut spending.

And also, you cannot necessarily go to your employer and demand more money, which is akin to demanding the American people pay higher taxes. Your employer may be highly irritated that you want more money, if he or she knows you are already being paid handsomely. Same principle with taxpayers, they already know they are paying dearly for more government than they need, and they want to first see the government make a serious effort at cutting spending. Simply continuing to raise taxes only undermines the public's will to work as hard or harder to make up the difference, and in fact it can have a serious effect upon productivity. The best example I have is that I know I already pay many thousands in taxes, which I see wasted and frittered away on a continuous basis, and I am not going to be induced to work harder if my taxes are raised, especially if it involves higher marginal rates, because what would be the logic of going into a higher bracket if most of the money is paid to the government, only to then be wasted on farcical projects.
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 03:06 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Obviously I cannot speak for all, but the market responds to future outlook as much as it does current conditions, in my opinion. And I knew of a number of people that were very pessimistic about an Obama administration, and they quit investing and began to pull out of the market, plus business plans became more tentative because of the uncertainty.

The market responds to future outlook as much as it does current conditions, eh? Let's have a quick look at the Dow Jones Index:

http://i.imgur.com/fn9Bb.gif

What does that tell you, okie? What does the market think about future outlook and current conditions under Obama?

Wait, don't tell us: the 9th of March 2009 was the day it became clear that the next President would be a Republican, and market responded accordingly. Am I close?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 03:53 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I think that is flawed reasoning or a false assumption, because at the end of the round of government spending, the same conditions still exist that caused the recession in the first place, that is if nothing has been done long term to fix the underlying problem, and if the only thing government does is spend more money, then nothing has been done to fix the problem It is akin to ignoring the hole in the bottom of the boat, but claiming that bailing water from the boat for a few minutes will solve the problem.

That's really funny! Your party is actively fighting new rules to fix the situation which caused the recession.

But, it's also a dumb comment, because the same underlying things which CAUSED the recession aren't problems when the recession is over. Constructions companies who had a lot of work before the recession will find work afterward- the need doesn't just evaporate.

Your analogy is false.

Quote:

Its not that I don't hope it gets better , but I just don't think there are long term reasons for it to get better. To use the boat analogy from my above answer, it does no good to hope the boat doesn't sink, if I know there is a hole in the boat. I would rather see the hole get fixed, and then I could have real hope, hope that is well founded.

No, you want the economy to fail in the short run, so that politicians can get elected who will cut taxes. That's all you care about: not the long-term health of the country or anything. If you cared about that you would want us to get better immediately.

Quote:

You call any opinion that doesn't agree with yours as insane, but I can tell you what other business people were thinking and doing.

No you can't! Maybe you know a few guys in OK who think like you do but you can't speak for the vast majority of investors and companies, who wouldn't watch, let or participate in tanking their own wealth just because Obama was going to get elected. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Obviously I cannot speak for all, but the market responds to future outlook as much as it does current conditions, in my opinion. And I knew of a number of people that were very pessimistic about an Obama administration, and they quit investing and began to pull out of the market, plus business plans became more tentative because of the uncertainty. I don't know what would have happened with a McCain presidency, but I believe the economy would be much better now than it currently is under Obama.

I call BS. Who do you know who 'pulled their money out' of the market because of Obama's election? Who do you know that 'quit investing?' Did they just park their money in a savings account, or under the mattress?

I suppose this is no crazier than your theory that tax cuts lead to revenue gains Rolling Eyes but it certainly isn't a sane view of the economy and how it works. No rational actor would cut off their nose simply to spite their face in the way you imagine.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 03:59 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Hey cyclops, go back to basics, what do you do first if your budget does not balance, I think you look for cutting parts of your expenditures first. You can also look for a better paying job, but you cannot count on that and continue to spend more and more money, you must first cut spending.

You cut expenditures while raising taxes. There's no reason at all not to do both at the same time.

Quote:
And also, you cannot necessarily go to your employer and demand more money, which is akin to demanding the American people pay higher taxes. Your employer may be highly irritated that you want more money, if he or she knows you are already being paid handsomely. Same principle with taxpayers, they already know they are paying dearly for more government than they need

Once again, Bullshit! Americans pay less in taxes right now then at practically any point in the last century and get more out of it. Only someone who was historically ignorant would make such a statement.

Quote:
and they want to first see the government make a serious effort at cutting spending. Simply continuing to raise taxes only undermines the public's will to work as hard or harder to make up the difference, and in fact it can have a serious effect upon productivity. The best example I have is that I know I already pay many thousands in taxes, which I see wasted and frittered away on a continuous basis, and I am not going to be induced to work harder if my taxes are raised, especially if it involves higher marginal rates, because what would be the logic of going into a higher bracket if most of the money is paid to the government, only to then be wasted on farcical projects.

I don't think you are a competent judge of where tax monies are 'wasted,' Okie. My guess is that you don't consider any money spent on anything which doesn't benefit you, or someone you like, to be a waste. It's a terrible way to run a country.

Claiming that you wouldn't work harder because of higher marginal tax rates is, once again, indicative of a misunderstanding of how tax rates work. Another situation for you, like in the Obama '08 thread:

If you make 250k a year and the tax rate for that is 10% you pay 25k in taxes (I am just using this rate as an example, I know the real one is higher). Your take-home is 225k.

If you make an additional 50k this year thanks to working harder, that additional money falls in the next bracket and is taxed at 15%. That comes out to 7.5k in new taxes on 50k of new income, for a total of 267.5k. You still made a huge amount of extra money, even though that money is taxed in a higher bracket.

It pretty much never makes financial sense to turn down work due to marginal tax brackets, and the only people that suggest doing so are those who haven't really put much thought into the situation. I think you will find that in the real world, people don't actually do this.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 04:48 pm
Reagan, 1980 to 1988, cut the maximum income tax rate 53%, and that, ? COINCIDENTALLY ?, was accompanied by an employment gain of 18.3%, AND a federal tax receipts gain of 75.8%.

All this occurred over the same period, while the inflation rate decreased 70% and the civil population increased 76%.

Go figure!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 04:54 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Reagan, 1980 to 1988, cut the maximum income tax rate 53%, and that, ? COINCIDENTALLY ?, was accompanied by an employment gain of 18.3%, AND a federal tax receipts gain of 75.8%.

All this occurred over the same period, while the inflation rate decreased 70% and the civil population increased 76%.

Go figure!

I don't think the population of the US increased by 76% between 1980 and 1988 Laughing

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 05:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You're correct! The correct number is 10% not 76%.

The USA Civil Population increased, 1980 to 1988, from 167,745,000 to 184,613,000--184,613,000 / 167,745,000 = 1.10.
Quote:

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt
Year................USA Civil Population......USA Total Civil Employed
1980...................... 167,745,000 [CARTER 1977-1981]
1981...................... 170,130,000 [REAGAN 1981-1989]
1982..................... 172,271,000
1983..................... 174,215,000
1984..................... 176,383,000
1985..................... 178,206,000
1986..................... 180,587,000
1987..................... 182,753,000
1988..................... 184,613,000

CORRECTION

All this occurred over the same period, while the inflation rate decreased 70% and the civil population increased 10%.

0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you make 250k a year and the tax rate for that is 10% you pay 25k in taxes (I am just using this rate as an example, I know the real one is higher). Your take-home is 225k.
Cycloptichorn

Then use the real one. I can tell you that I pay almost that much and I don't make half of that, so what are you smoking today, cyclops? If you are self employed, you will pay around 16 grand on the first 106,000, for FICA and Medicare alone. Thats before you even consider paying tax on the 225k, so your estimate is miles off, cyclops. I would advise you to become self employed for 5 years, then come back here and try to convince everyone that you would still believe what you believe now. It would grow you up in a hurry, and it would educate you a tremendous amount, as regards tax policy and government.
okie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 07:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It pretty much never makes financial sense to turn down work due to marginal tax brackets, and the only people that suggest doing so are those who haven't really put much thought into the situation. I think you will find that in the real world, people don't actually do this.

Cycloptichorn

I would challenge you to become self employed for 5 years, then try to claim what you just claimed with a straight face, cyclops. You either do not understand business, or numbers, or human nature.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 07:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't think you are a competent judge of where tax monies are 'wasted,' Okie. My guess is that you don't consider any money spent on anything which doesn't benefit you, or someone you like, to be a waste. It's a terrible way to run a country.
Cycloptichorn

I'm not blind, cyclops. And through the years, I have had the experience of frequenting certain bureaucracies, and so I am somewhat familiar with how they are being managed and what the money is being spent on. Since I am helping pay the taxes to support some of that stuff, I think I am just as qualified as the next person to have a valid opinion.

As far as what benefits me, I appreciate national security, that is at the top of my list of what I want the federal government to do, and beyond that I think there are countless programs that we could all do without. Take education for example, we became the most educated and most prosperous and advanced country on the face of the earth, without the federal government pouring money into education on behalf of the Department of Education. In fact, that department was not created until Jimmy Carter's administration if my memory serves me correctly.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 08:35 pm
Quote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=18936&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD
A DARK SECRET ABOUT CREATING JOBS IN AMERICA
Politicians in America and around the world like to talk about creating jobs. Their dark secret is that none of them know how to do it, says James Sherk, the Bradley Fellow in Labor Policy at the Heritage Foundation.

Look at the centerpiece of President Barack Obama's newest proposal: spending billions on home weatherization and highways. What will that do for the millions of Americans without construction or caulking skills? If the president had better ideas for creating jobs, he would have proposed them, says Sherk.

In fairness, no one should blame Obama for lacking a good plan to create jobs. No president -- Democrat or Republican -- could do much better. Why? Consider where jobs come from, says Sherk:

An entrepreneur has an idea.
Investors provide that entrepreneur with funding.
The entrepreneur then hires workers to help put his idea into action.
If the business competes successfully, those jobs last.
A real-world example:

A decade ago, two graduate students at Stanford -- Larry Page and Sergy Brin -- had an idea for a better way to search the Internet.
They persuaded venture capitalists to invest $25 million in their new company: Google Inc.
Today, millions of Americans use Google, and 20,000 employees work there.
Page and Brin's successful idea created thousands of jobs.
Of course, Google might not have succeeded, says Sherk. The economy works through decentralized trial and error as millions of entrepreneurs try to make their ideas work. That is why labor market freedom is so important. Both workers and entrepreneurs need the freedom to adjust to new market realities as they unfold. No one knows what business ideas will work before an entrepreneur tries them, explains Sherk.

That's why Obama can't create jobs. What politician could come up with even 20 good business ideas, much less the tens of thousands needed to get millions of Americans back to work? No one person has that expertise, says Sherk.

If Obama wants to create jobs, he should start by passing policies that encourage the millions of potential American entrepreneurs to take the plunge and their potential investors to fund them. That's the not-so-dark secret of how jobs are created, says Sherk.

Source: James Sherk, "A Dark Secret About Creating Jobs in America," Heritage Foundation, January 29, 2010.

For text:

http://www.jobsandfreedom.com/?p=59
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:23 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Then use the real one. I can tell you that I pay almost that much and I don't make half of that, so what are you smoking today, cyclops? If you are self employed, you will pay around 16 grand on the first 106,000, for FICA and Medicare alone. Thats before you even consider paying tax on the 225k, so your estimate is miles off, cyclops. I would advise you to become self employed for 5 years, then come back here and try to convince everyone that you would still believe what you believe now. It would grow you up in a hurry, and it would educate you a tremendous amount, as regards tax policy and government.

I was just using an example, Okie. It wasn't an estimate - I even included a disclaimer which said specifically that. And you haven't shown that the example was wrong. Economists generally agree that it's never a good idea to stop working due to points of marginal taxation, you always end up with much less money in the end.

My older brother is self-employed and I know very well how much you have to pay in taxes as we do ours together every year.

16 Grand in taxes on the first 106 is what? 15%? That's the tax rate you're bitching about?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

16 Grand in taxes on the first 106 is what? 15%? That's the tax rate you're bitching about?

Cycloptichorn

That is only the FICA and Medicare, not total taxes out of the first 106 K. Also, a quick websearch gave an answer of probably at least 45K in income tax on 225K, so I would guess you would be looking at around 60,000 in taxes, possibly more, so when you make estimates, at least have a credible guess on it, cyclops.

I would have to say that if anyone makes 225,000 and ends up paying more than a fourth of it to the government, that is a bit excessive taxation in my opinion.

As I have posted in the past, I could possibly favor higher marginal tax rates on the very high pay packages, perhaps over 500,000 or 1 million marks. This would not only gather more tax revenue, but it might cut down on the very obscene pay packages for corporate execs, such as in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and ridiculous pay for movie and sports stars. My endorsement of that is probably if we cannot agree to eliminate the income tax system altogether. We would still need an IRS however to collect FICA and Medicare taxes, so perhaps we could at least eliminate all corporate and business income tax, and only tax individuals. Eliminating income tax on businesses would unleash huge economic expansion in this country, I believe, and it could bring back alot of domestic manufacturing that has gone overseas.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, the 15.xx% he is using is only payroll taxes. That is, Social Security and Medicare combined. Self employed pay both employee and employer halves, except our Secretary of Treasury. For the self employed, though, the employee half is a deductable business expense. Of course, you don't look forward to an expense deduction of 7.65 cents when you have to pay a dollar to get it.
roger

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:01 am
@ican711nm,
The problems is that while Obama is pro-jobs, he is also anti-business. Most disturbing of all; he seems able to hold both ideas in his head at the same time without problem.
okie

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:03 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Self employed pay both employee and employer halves, except our Secretary of Treasury.
That brings up a question, when can this guy be fired? If it was yesterday, it would not have been soon enough. Having this guy run the Treasury is an insult to every honest taxpayer in this country.

If it became my responsibility to balance the budget and bring fiscal sanity back, firing Geithner would take place the first day.
okie

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:11 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
he is also anti-business.

roger, he has a built in bias against business. He has been quoted from a book of his that he felt like he was "behind enemy lines" when working for a business once. This is not a man that should be president if he holds such views. I have been casitagated here for repeating over and over the references to Obama's Marxist associations, but why should it take so long for people to get some simple facts pounded into their heads, the man is simply not pro free markets, he is not. The sooner we can get him out of office, along with a more responsible Congress, the sooner we have a chance at bringing back fiscal responsibility.

By the way, whats up with the government attacking Toyota a bit excessively? Is this because GM (Government Motors) needs some of Toyota's business? Actually, it appears to be very unseemly to me to have the administration in competition with Toyota and then be making comments about the competition. I can just imagine if I was making a product, and the government was also selling that same product while they were singling me out for something about my product, I would be one irritated taxpayer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:13 am
@okie,
He could be fired in a heartbeat. I suspect he's got another three years to go. I swear, I can pick him out of a crowd just by the guilty look on his face.
0 Replies