Where is the US economy headed?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:01 am
@Builder,
It was a crisis, on that the alleged minders never saw because they did not want to see......minding the economy is just the front, the actual job is in the back were everyone is conspiring to make each other rich, For far too many people.

BUT

http://commonconstitutionalist.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/never_let_a_serious_crisis_go_to_waste_.jpg
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:21 am
@hawkeye10,
I think I've posted a link to the Sony documentary that blows the cover on the orchestrated "crisis". It's called "Inside Job", narrated by Matt Damon.

Hereit is again. Complete with Senate inquiries, and damning evidence.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:25 am
@Builder,
Quote:
I think I've posted a link to the Sony documentary that blows the cover on the orchestrated "crisis". It's called "Inside Job", narrated by Matt Damon.

Hereit is again. Complete with Senate inquiries, and damning evidence.

I was just going to watch it. Found it at my local library!
However I am a bit suspicious of Sony AND Matt Damon, We'll see.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 05:45 pm
@Builder,
And? It seems you don't understand the process. Law makers are free to make laws in violation of the Constitution but the Constitution sets out a process by which that can be rectified.
Builder

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:21 am
@parados,
Do you read any of your stuff before posting it?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111111271/2970480-131393015058.jpg
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:27 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Do you read any of your stuff before posting it?

No, I have seen this before!
Builder

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:39 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
No, I have seen this before!

Meaning lawmakers intentionally defy the constitution to create legal cases so they clog up the court system? Or Parados just posts **** for the hell of it?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:23 am
@Builder,
No, no, I meant about parados (not reading his stuff!)
Builder

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 02:44 am
@Quehoniaomath,
The "Citizens United" impact, in a nutshell.

14th of January, 2015.

New York University
Abramson Family Auditorium
1307 L St. NW
Washington, D.C.

Eight major money in politics organizations will come together for the first time ever to jointly release each group's independent research on the role of money in the 2014 midterm elections, with particular emphasis on the effects of 2010’s Citizens United v. FEC.

Takea look, folks.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 03:50 am
@Builder,

I don't trust anything coming out of an university!

Btw here an eye-opener for USA citizens:

Only 4 hours! And worth it!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:54 pm
Hawkeye: Any thoughts on the retail sales numbers for December out today?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 06:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The National Retail Federation, which looks at a subset of retail sales that excludes automobiles, gasoline stations and restaurants, said 2014 holiday sales increased 4.0 percent from a year earlier, the fastest since 2011.

Separately, the Federal Reserve in its Beige Book said consumer spending increased during the holiday, with "modest" year-over-year gains in retail sales.

"This certainly doesn't support the unexpected drop in retail sales," said Jennifer Lee, a senior economist at BMO Capital Markets in Toronto.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/14/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN0KN1HY20150114

This is below what retailers ordered for, that and the fact that they started the season by showing their fear by aggressively discounting even before Thanksgiving makes me think that profits will be slim.

Quote:
Restaurants posted their best month in eight years in December, as low gas prices, rising employment and weak comparisons resulted in a robust period for both traffic and sales, according to the latest NRN-MillerPulse survey.

According to the survey, same-store sales rose 4.6 percent during the month, giving operators an upbeat outlook heading into 2015.

“It was a good month,” said Larry Miller, cofounder of the index. “Better than what people thought it was going to be. And everybody was ready for a good month.”

Improvement during the month was felt across sectors, with both casual-dining chains and quick-service restaurants reporting strong same-store sales growth, of 4.4 percent and 4.6 percent, respectively.

The improvement came not just on price, but on new customers. Traffic rose 1.9 percent during the month, according to the survey, the best traffic number since March 2012. Quick-service traffic rose 1.3 percent, while traffic increased 2.2 percent for casual dining

http://nrn.com/millerpulse/report-december-restaurant-sales-reach-8-year-high

Quote:
Beemer's surveys showed more shoppers than ever were avoiding malls.

"You had the least number of shoppers in malls in any time in my 35 years doing Christmas research," he said. "Some weeks we barely had 20 percent of American families walking into a mall. There was a time when malls had 45 percent of store traffic during the season," Beemer said.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/holiday-cheer-for-retailers-1.1187072

What this all adds up to for me is that customers are being very picky, they are doing very targeted buying, and that the drive to the bottom on profitability continues in retail. Still need to see the retailers quarterly profit numbers but I am not expecting them to be good with a few exceptions. Nordstroms for example seems to still be able to get it done. I still think JCP, Sears and Kmart are dead.

One thing that I am looking at is this: I am getting the sense that Americans are getting used to the new normal. The old retail economy is never coming back because the average consumer is never going to have the money/credit to buy the carloads of unneeded crap that we used to routinely buy. I think that people are buying less, buying quality, and doing a lot of work to make sure they buy it from whom ever is offering the best price and shopping experience. I think this is the year that the conventional wisdom moves to the belief that malls are way over built, and that stores themselves need to get smaller with good customer service to keep people from buying online. The last month also has made me even more convinced that Ron Johnson was right about where he was trying to take JCP, breaking up the store, and providing more intimate service.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 07:47 pm
December retail sales were down .4% (excluding cars, food and fuel), which freaked some folks out today.
Holiday sales, as you mentioned, were probably up by 4%. I predicted here that they would be up a robust 6%.
I think that a lot of folks who had disposable income decided against buying more stuff that they didn't need and opted instead to save for a new(er) car or things like a treat such as dining out.
I share your belief that we are on the cusp of seeing a fundamental shift in brick and mortar retailing. Part of it is due to the internet, of course. But there are other important factors at play also.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 08:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
December retail sales were down .4% (excluding cars, food and fuel), which freaked some folks out today.

Ya I know. However the government numbers increasingly suck in my opinion (are not correct) through some failure of the eggheads to measure important things correctly. THe fear of course is that this is not just incompetence but is politics too. Also, something very big is happening undetected. Not sure what is yet, but first guess is that is has something to do with the new medical economy.

Quote:
I share your belief that we are on the cusp of seeing a fundamental shift in brick and mortar retailing. Part of it is due to the internet, of course. But there are other important factors at play also.
yep, and that would be a good topic for another thread. I dont think it makes sense to get too far into the changing flavor of retail on a US ECONOMY thread, but it is a fascinating subject.

Quote:
I think that a lot of folks who had disposable income decided against buying more stuff that they didn't need and opted instead to save for a new(er) car or things like a treat such as dining out.
strategic buying of stuff and buying experiences. Did you notice that the Disney theme parks had a great season? The cruise lines are doing a decent job of filling all that new space with profitable customers too from what I can see, though they have resorted to some price trickery to pull the decent number of dollars out of peoples pockets. The high price point restaurants are doing great. Chipotle keeps rolling along with their high price point, having just stuffed down a big menu price increase, selling what they call ethical food at a huge premium over what other places charge and people continue to fall all over themselves to pay it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 08:40 am
The unemployment ranks dropped to 265k, a 14% drop. An excellent sign that our countries economy is getting stronger.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 10:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The unemployment ranks dropped to 265k, a 14% drop. An excellent sign that our countries economy is getting stronger.

lol, a good LIE is NEVER spilled on you, now, is it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 10:48 am
@Quehoniaomath,
You're so dumb, I'm putting you on IGNORE?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're so dumb, I'm putting you on IGNORE?

Nice! Just an Ad Hominem again?!
RABEL222

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:38 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
If you looked this stat up you would find he is right and as usual you are wrong.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:34 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
If you looked this stat up you would find he is right and as usual you are wrong.

But you are very unable, or lazy, to show me what stat etc?
And if there is a 'stat'why should I uncritically believe it, like you do?