Where is the US economy headed?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you would please do me a big favor and go tell your wife that you need to get laid, that your mental health is a stake.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Figures. You're a loser.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 04:25 am
Page 111 and the air is tense...
Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 07:36 am
Think communist or fascism and that is where it is going!

check U.N.'s absolutely crazy and idioitic AGENDA 21!!!!!!

Being implemented in the USA! And everywhere else!

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 04:09 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Page 111 and the air is tense...

Page 1111 actually. This thread goes back to early 2005 and was started by an A2Ker named au29 or something. It has gone dormant at times but I have tried periodically to revive it.
Sometime when you have nothing to do you might be amused at what was talked about in the 2005 on the first few pages.
There were differences of opinion, of course, but there is little evidence of personal attacks on fellow A2Kers.
Times have certainly changed over ten years.
But I digress...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 06:36 pm
Media coverage of the "official" start of the holiday shopping season has been totally anecdotal with more than a few quotes from retailers claiming that things are starting out well. I have heard some folks say that sales are on target for a 10% increase. I think that that is unlikely.
Hawkeye, as I read his posts, is pessimistic based on his reading of wage stagnation and consumer confidence. I am a bit more optimistic with revenues up about 6%.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 06:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Hawkeye, as I read his posts, is pessimistic based on his reading of wage stagnation and consumer confidence.

And the consumer has become much more discriminating, using smart phones for instance to know who has the product the cheapest in town, as well as what the online prices are. This relentless attack on margins shows no sign on stopping. A massive consolidation will help some, but until retailers end their efforts to undercut each other on price the margins picture will not improve much. We are also seeing that lack of profits is cutting deep into the capital spending on stores, sears and kmart are not the only ones who have spent almost nothing for years, leaving the stores dated and run down. If they are going to close in the next few years it does not matter much, but anyone planning on sticking around needs to come up with money for store refreshes. But where will it come from?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 06:48 pm
This might be part of the problem?

http://safeshare.tv/w/eUqDmyBbir
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:26 pm
Early reports are thur/fri brick and mortar was down .5%, online up 15-20% depending upon who you listen to, adding up to MEH.

My guess is that we are watching the consumer pressure the retailers like they did last year, they are holding out for better deals. This would not be good for profitability.

Stores in my town were very slow today from what I saw, the people I talked to.

We should have thursday to Sunday numbers on Tue. I am not optimistic.

My call to ignore retail on Thanksgiving was ignored. Thanksgiving buying increases ate into black friday buying which was down 7%.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 04:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another indication that consumers are keeping their powder dry, waiting for retailers to offer better deals

Quote:
The Black Friday shopping weekend may be losing its mojo.

A survey of shoppers released Sunday by the National Retail Federation shows how early discounting, more online shopping and an improving economy have fewer people shopping on the weekend that kicks off the holiday shopping season.

Overall, 133.7 million people shopped at stores and online over the four-day holiday weekend, down 5.2 percent from last year, according to a survey of 4,631 consumers by the trade group.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102224513#.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 09:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Less people visited stores, and the average person spent less in stores and online during the weekend, according to a survey of shoppers released Sunday by the National Retail Federation (NRF). Total shopping traffic in stores and online dropped by 5.2 percent compared with 2013, and the average person only spent $380.95, compared with last year's $407.02, the retail group's survey said.

Even though some retailers opened earlier than ever on Thanksgiving Day, about the same amount of people as last year ventured into stores on the holiday.

While it may seem counter-intuitive, analysts say the decrease in shopping over the heavily-discounted Thanksgiving weekend actually signals a stronger season since it shows that people are less interested in "sales" — because the economy is getting stronger.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/business-of-the-holidays/black-friday-weekend-shopping-down-season-sales-may-still-soar-n258596

Delusional thinking is what it is. Last year consumers held out and force the retailers to come up with sweet deals to move stock the last week before Christmas, there is not reason not to think that they are doing it again. Retailers ordered a lot of stock again this year, they are going to have to move it one way or another. The black friday deals did not get people buying because they know just like last year the best deals will be at the end, they just need to hold out.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Have Americans finally had enough of Black Friday madness?

Sales, both in stores and online, from Thanksgiving through the weekend were estimated to have dropped 11 percent, to $50.9 billion, from $57.4 billion last year, according to preliminary survey results released Sunday by the National Retail Federation. Sales fell despite many stores’ opening earlier than ever on Thanksgiving Day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/business/thanksgiving-weekend-sales-at-stores-and-online-slide-11-percent.html?_r=0

Well there you go...this holiday season is officially off to a poor start. Can we now all agree to let retail workers have Thanksgiving with their families?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Cyber Monday the latest dud of the season

Quote:

Cyber Monday is turning into Cyber Month.

Retailers rolled out discounts and free shipping deals on Cyber Monday, with millions of Americans expected to log on and shop on their work computers, laptops and tablets after the busy holiday shopping weekend.

But with retailers extending their online deals into "Cyber Week" and even "Cyber Month," early reports indicated shopping was less robust online on Monday compared with prior years. As of 3 p.m. ET, online sales rose just 8.7 percent compared with last year, according to IBM Digital Analytics. The figures don't take into account the many shoppers who plan to head online after work or in the evening. But a year ago, Cyber Monday sales jumped 20.6 percent, according to IBM.

Quote:
"Cyber Monday offers aren't super compelling, but don't need to be," she said. "It's been the biggest shopping day of the year for the last few years, so they know that people are going to come."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/cyber-monday-gears-online-shoppers-hyped-27267577

Online sales were up 17% over the four day open.

Here is the deal: retailers did not come up with the low profit deals, so a lot of people decided to wait for a better deal. By Wed the retailers should be panicky enough.

Quote:
That appetite may be fed by increasing parity between online and in-store deals and the convenience of options like same-day shipping and buy online, pick up in store, all of which are making it easier for consumers to wait out the season for the best prices, says Lucinda Duncalfe, CEO of Monetate, a company that sells software to retailers to help them personalize the online shopping experience.

"You can shop online later and later and still get things by Christmas Day," she says. "What will end up happening over time is this continued flattening of the season where people are more willing to wait to see what's going to happen."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/12/01/cyber-week-deals-begin/19733541/

BINGO!

And the retailers are going to blink, because they always do and they have a lot of crap that needs to get moved.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:44 am
@hawkeye10,
In stocks Monday after the gamblers took a look at the weekend numbers:

walmart/target -1.5%

Kohls -2%

Sears -1.75%

JCP -6%

Macy's -2.65%

Nordstrom -.93%

Dollar General -.63%

Family Dollar +.47%

TJMAX -1.4%

Costco -.1%

Gap -.43%

JCP got hammered as it increasingly looks like I am correct that they are done. Sears is mostly a realestate play now and dont count. Kohls has been having management problems for awhile so no surprise to see their losses on the high side. Costco is always fine. I think the real surprise here is Macy's and it has to do with the mojo being gone but mostly because they dont work much online where all the action is.
parados

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 09:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

JCP got hammered as it increasingly looks like I am correct that they are done.

Another one of your pontifications about the future? This ranks right up there with your claim we needed to buy Gold at $1500 because it could go nowhere but up.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:00 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

JCP got hammered as it increasingly looks like I am correct that they are done.

Another one of your pontifications about the future? This ranks right up there with your claim we needed to buy Gold at $1500 because it could go nowhere but up.

That position is a radical departure from conventional wisdom. Please give us a broad brush of the case for JCP being fine.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:11 am
Whichever way you look at it, it doesn't make sense to shut up shop if your competitors are open. Some people only travel to a big shopping area once before Christmas, be that day Black Friday, Thanksgiving Christmas Eve or whatever. If you're shut they'll go elsewhere.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:45 am
@izzythepush,
JCP has been losing money for years, the stores are a mess, they are out of money, brick and mortar retail is shrinking, and there plan is to go back the guy they tossed for poor performance and his plan is to go back to what he was doing before.

The last quarter was terrible, with a sales decline even before factoring inflation and yet more cost cutting which means the stores are not getting investment.

Has anyone been in JCP during the last week? A first hand on the ground report would be helpful. I have not been in one for at least 6 years.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you think closing all of JCP's retail outlets would solve everything?

Btw, JC Penney don't seem to have any branches outside America, so I've not been to one (ever.)

I know you rate Costco. I have let my membership to Costco lapse. Their deals were not worth the £30 pa charge, and most of their stuff is cheaper in discount stores who don't charge a membership fee. The only thing I was buying there was catfood, (cheaper at Farmstores) washing powder, (as cheap in Asda when it's on promotion,) and coffee, (actually cheaper in Costco, but I can buy the same coffee online for a quid extra, and as I only consume about 3-4 tins a year I'm still saving about £26.)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@izzythepush,
If JCP closes it will not be by choice, it will be because they have to.

It will be interesting to see if the conversion to online sales is picking up speed. This appears to be the case. This is perhaps partly due to recent years of cost cutting by retailers, there needs to be a shopping experience that is enjoyed, otherwise why bother, just get it online. The not spending money on interiors, cutting labor, poorly paying labor leaving them in poor morale might have now made shopping in a store something that many people dont want to do.