Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
My home is on the side of a rather steep hill. I have a compost bin in my back yard, approximately 25 feet from my deck, but it can be a treacherous journey in inclement weather, particularly the trip back down. I have been planning to build a walkway into/onto the slope. I have purchased treated wood (trunk cross-sections) to use as steps and would like to place them level, like steps. My question: Would I be better off to dig into the slope in order to level the steps or build up the surface of my intended path? I am thinking in terms of erosion and water run-off (we get a lot of rain here).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,454 • Replies: 2
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:33 am
allrightguy
allrightguy, I'm wondering about installing steps when you may want to use a wheel barrow to bring your compost to your garden area. Steps would make it hard to get a barrow down steps.

Depending on how steep the grade is, you may want to consider using decomposed granite on a path that does not go straight down, but snakes down the grade to reduce the steepness. If the DG is well-tamped, it will give you a good footing. It also can easily be repaired if rain or foot traffic disturbs it. Just be sure the color you choose is not too sandy for best results. Gray is probably the firmist choice.

If you lay landscape cloth (not plastic) under the DG the rain will drain through the DG very nicely and will reduce weeds.

BBB

Decomposed granite

Decomposed granite can be used on your garden as a mulch or as a paving surface.

Materials: decomposed granite, quartz sand, cement, rake, topsoil leveller.

Step 1: Mark out the area and spread a 75mm layer of decomposed granite.

Step 2: Spread a 25mm layer of quartz sand over the decomposed granite, rake it in thoroughly and level with a rake. (A topsoil leveller is a hand tool which makes quick work of levelling loose material like topsoil, decomposed granite, or sand and is available from hardware stores for about $70.

Step 3: Compact the granite with a vibrating plate to a finished depth of 75mm. If you prefer the granite paving to be solid, lightly sprinkle with off-white cement, rake it in and sprinkle with water before you compact it.
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:59 pm
Allrightguy, you've already gotten some great advice from BumbleBeeBoogie, but you might find this helpful.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_sun_shade/article/0,1785,HGTV_3573_1370704,00.html

Look at the picture at the bottom of the page here. I'm sure it's not what you want to do, but you might get an idea from it for your wheelbarrow.
http://www.roddaandsons.com/patios.pg5.html

Newt
0 Replies