Robber Barons or Captains of Industry..??

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
It would be dumb to say the later part of the 19th century wasn't something amazed, the US changed from an agrican society to industrilized society, with these changes came about Andrew Carnegie, Rockafeller, Dumont, J.P Morgan, Jay Gould.

Now my question to you is, do you think these people were Robber Barons or Captains of the Industrial revolution. I would like to see your outtake on this issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,088 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:18 am
Anybody?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:35 am
I'm not sure that I would describe them as either...

Maybe I'll think of something more to say later. Consider this thread bookmarked.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:22 am
Well, let's look at the issue this way. What would our world be like if those people, who turned the world from an agrarian to an industrial society, never existed?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:48 am
Oge, Welcome to A2K. Both Carnegie and Rockefeller were immigrants who saw a need in America and took advantage of it. If I'm not mistaken, Carnegie used the theory of vertical consolidation which simply means taking the ore out of the ground and eventually turning it into steel. Rockefeller was concerned more with horizonal consolidation which concentrated on oil refining as opposed to pumping the oil from the ground. Whether they were robber barons or not is a case of interpretation, I suppose. I'm relying on my memory for these two Captains in particular.

The mogol who was the most fascinating to me, was George Eastman, however.
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:32 pm
Letty wrote:
Oge, Welcome to A2K. Both Carnegie and Rockefeller were immigrants who saw a need in America and took advantage of it. If I'm not mistaken, Carnegie used the theory of vertical consolidation which simply means taking the ore out of the ground and eventually turning it into steel. Rockefeller was concerned more with horizonal consolidation which concentrated on oil refining as opposed to pumping the oil from the ground. Whether they were robber barons or not is a case of interpretation, I suppose. I'm relying on my memory for these two Captains in particular.

The mogol who was the most fascinating to me, was George Eastman, however.

You are correct, but Carnegie was the poor Irish immigrant who of course gave ALOT more back to the community then Rockefellar ever did. Fill me in on who George Eastman is?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:54 pm
George Eastman invented the KODAK camera. He was an interesting man who gave huge sums of money anonymously to organizations whom he deemed worthy, but never to individuals. He lived a long life; never married, and at around eighty some years of age, killed himself. His note read something like: My work here in done.
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
Letty wrote:
George Eastman invented the KODAK camera. He was an interesting man who gave huge sums of money anonymously to organizations whom he deemed worthy, but never to individuals. He lived a long life; never married, and at around eighty some years of age, killed himself. His note read something like: My work here in done.

Freaky, I knew I had heard of him before just wasn't sure. Carnegie I guess was the same way, he donated huge tons of money to charities, but rarley ever helped out his employees.
0 Replies