Is the theory behind 'The Da Vinci Code' fact or fiction?

Caitlin224

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 07:23 am
The important part
I had to reply to this thread. I love how this novel has become such a controversy.

I am an atheist. Possibly a conflicted atheist as I see a great benefit in faith (not organized religion) despite the existance of god not being a reality to me. I think it can help people obviously, and some people just need to have a purpose and they receive that from their faith. Maybe that is an oversimplified view of it.

In any event, I think the greatest benefit that people are receiving from the book is the ability to question their faith and realize that without the knowledge that what they believe MIGHT NOT be true, their faith graduates in value. In the alternative, if the foundation of what you believe can be shaken by a work of fiction - your faith was not true in the first place. But then again, you were introduced to your faith by a work of fiction. Smile

Yeah. I think I talked myself in a circle. Either way - fantastic read.
0 Replies

Wisp

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
I liked the book alot, it was well written and made my brain spin and think about how Brown wrote the book as a religious controversy.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 05:07 am
Bella Dea wrote:
nick17 wrote:
WHY IS THERE NO 'YES' OPTION IN THAT POLL!!!!????

I WOULD VOTE YES

It isn't a yes or no question, that's why.

What are you answering yes to? It's a novel? Or it's more?

The question, if posed as a yes or no question, would have read:

Is the DaVinci code just a novel? Yes or no
OR
Is the DaVinci code more than a novel? Yes or no

i dont think i saw this. i meant YES all it is is a NOVEL!!
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 05:10 am
by the way did anyone hear how dan brown actually stole the story off someone else Laughing
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:27 am
From the book, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"? I saw it on a documentary. I think it's just the idea.
0 Replies

californiadreamin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:11 am
First off I am a Christian, I was originally told not to have anything to do with this book, but I read it anyway. I loved it. Fiction or Non-fiction doesn't matter to me, I know what I know about the bible and no one and no book is going to change my perspective on that. But I can see where people who aren't grounded in a religious background could be led astray.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 03:09 am
I was taught the basic Jesus stories when I was younger, I am not religious.

But the depiction of Jesus never made sense to me.
I suppose im getting his characteristics from what Ive seen in films, but then again, the film makers must have got his characteristics from somewhere so Im assuming its from the Bible.
He seems very 'distanced' from people even tho he is supposed to represent God, and God is love.

As soon as I read that Jesus had married Mary Magdalene it all clicked into place.It made a heck of alot more sense to me.
I think its beautiful that Jesus was married and had a family.I think its a shame that religious people dont feel the same.

I was not lead astray by TDVC as i never quite believed it to begin with.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 12:20 am
Perhaps Anne Rice was the one who really got it right in Memnoch the Devil? Shocked Like Dan Brown, she mixes no shortage of facts and historical study in her fiction as well. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 12:58 am
Gotta quick question....

Is the DaVinci Code a book that's required reading for college or even high school classes or something now?

Otherwise, I can't see how it remains on the best seller list week after week after week after.....
0 Replies

Kallel

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 03:26 pm
To begin with the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown contains facts that have been twisted to fit his story line. If you ask any qualified scholar or historian, they can verify this very easily. Dan Brown has already denied any and all interviews with historians and scholars because he knows for a fact that the book's claims about certain facts are bogusly manufactured in order to sell his assertions. He knows that they can debunk his book too easily and that will not make his book sell.

If you are truly interested in the claims in the book, you can easily research it for yourself and come up with the same conclusion. The easier way is just talk to a historian or scholar at a college campus and you will see the truth for yourself.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 03:44 pm
I have not read to book but I have seen the movie. The thesis is totally fictional and somewhat silly.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:51 am
Kallel wrote:
To begin with the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown contains facts that have been twisted to fit his story line. If you ask any qualified scholar or historian, they can verify this very easily. Dan Brown has already denied any and all interviews with historians and scholars because he knows for a fact that the book's claims about certain facts are bogusly manufactured in order to sell his assertions. He knows that they can debunk his book too easily and that will not make his book sell.

If you are truly interested in the claims in the book, you can easily research it for yourself and come up with the same conclusion. The easier way is just talk to a historian or scholar at a college campus and you will see the truth for yourself.

Everyone already knows this and he's said that his book, while based on some facts, is a ficticious story. Opus Dei, for example, is a real organization. They are not, however, murderers who will stop at nothing to protect the church.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:08 am
It is amazing how much debate a work of fiction can generate, especially when it comes to this book. The History Channel and the Discovery Channel may as well have renamed themselves "The DaVinci Code Channel" over this last weekend, for all the programming they ran on it. Can this possibly be made any clearer? "The DaVinci Code is just a work of fiction." Period. Any research Dan Brown may have done for the novel can be debated until the end of time about historical accuracy or the lack thereof, but the book is just a story.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:21 am
Surely the same can be said about the Bible.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:32 am
material girl wrote:
Surely the same can be said about the Bible.

That's another topic that arguments can be made both directions for, and this is happening in other threads around the forum. While I don't believe in the anything in the bible, and indeed find the concept of an all-seeing all-knowing "big brother" unbelievable, others clearly do hold it to be truthful. I choose to stay out of those debates since I feel neither side will ever convince the other.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 10:18 pm
All the religious stories were spread among the people when they were mostly illiterate so that is how so many people became religious.
0 Replies

mad raven123

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:36 am
da vinci
I thought the book was great and yes there is some truth and some fiction but to tell you the truth I am starting to doubt the bible. Like someone said up top .. the book is 2000 years old and who knows who actually wrote it or what was left out, there are thousands of gospels and for the bible to only contain ones that make jesus out to be an all perfect human sounds a bit farfetched because after all he was human. And just to throw this out, He was a jew ( the king of jews) and the bible says he never married, well it is against the jewish religion not to marry, so you really think someone so devoted to religion and spreading the word that he would defy his own religion?..anyways i dont want to start a bug arguement about jesus .. its just some things to think about...also ..wales is sweet ass.. i played rugby there, really nice place.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:07 am
Why did you believe the bible to begin with?
0 Replies