A "Kiddy-Lit." Digression: Or, the Power of Pooh.

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:26 am
I have been pondering stuff, of late - as one does - and one of my Ponders has been about children's literature and about how deeply entrancing and pulling one completely into another reality it was - in a way I seldom get pulled these days.

It wasn't a Serious Ponder, I neither feared, nor found, any Heffalumps - it was more a Pooh Sticks kind of Ponder - I went and spent a bit of time in Narnia, without, like Peter, leaving my great coat there - (SUCH a nice touch, to leave an important item of clothing in a magical country - and just the type of thing that DOES happen, I think!) - I dug up the Psammead and had a chat with the Phoenix - I peeked anxiously into Wonderland, and ran off timidly, as usual - I went and found wee Moomintroll, but he was fast asleep, and could not be woken, so there was no Moominland Midwinter to be had, but I did whisper in his ear - I visited Maria's Lilliputians, concerned as I am about their living circumstances in the denouement of "Mistress Masham's Repose", and found them, and their Oeconomy quite Flourishing and Prosperous, thank you - Ratty and Mole appeared to be happily caught, like flies in amber, in their perennial Edwardian Summer Afternoon, still Messing About in Boats, and I did catch a few notes from the Piper At The Gates of Dawn, the weasels, apparently, still cause trouble from time to time, and the field mice children still carol at Christmas .....

So - come and have a little meander through the worlds of your childhood favourites - take your shoes and socks off, pop on a pinny, make mud pies, wish on stars, find magical creatures aplenty and dally, digress, dawdle, get dirty, and generally have a fine time.

Please leave your sense at the door - your linearity at the lintel - no rational thought allowed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,579 • Replies: 65
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:30 am
I always did SO want to ride on Fledge - the suddenly magically winged cab horse in "The Magician's Nephew" - and to have been able to converse with the talking creatures would have been wonderful! WHAT do centaurs discuss, in their cups? Would Dryads be dr, and Naiads wet? Nymphs naughty, and Panisci predatory?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:48 am
Never, Never Land, not Michael's. but Peter's was where I wanted to go. I wanted to fly and dreamed of being wisked away to adventures beyond. Oz as in the Wizard Of well that was another childhood fancy and a horse of a different color. And like Nancy Drew I wanted to solve problems - perhaps save the world!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:52 am
Save Oz? or another world. I never saw a Munchkin I would trust for a second...short people got no reason, short people got NO reason...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:01 am
Those itty bitty feet and itty bitty shoes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 01:45 pm
I DO hope people are Randy Newman fans, or we are for the bonfire...Lollipop League gonna bite our kneecaps off...
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:54 pm
I was very happy to find out that Maria was able to proect her Lilliputians in Mistriss Masham's repose, and that she allows no strangers to visit. The wicked vicar and Maria's governess got their just deserts in marrying each other.

Ozma of Oz is a fairy I'd like to meet for coffee one of these days...she's reasonable and wise and she LIKES short people.

Meantime, in rural Wisconsin, Caddy Woodlawn is protecting the Indians, especially her friend John who gave her his scalp belt, a great honor.

Harry Potter mastered the Patronus charm, and was able to travel in time and save his stepfather and the Hippogriff in one fell swoop.

Pooh's nothing to Ozma, Caddy or Harry.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:19 pm
Well, pooh to you!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:52 pm
tigger's the best..............
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:26 pm
Man, kiddie poo can be reeeeeaallllly powerful. Sometimes lighting a match just doesn't help, opeing windows doesn't flush out the stentch and diaper genies are a-...... oh, ok, Pooh.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:35 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 11:26 pm
REAL pooh?! Gadzooks!

Tigger is, indeed, pretty damned hot diggety - I feel a certain connection to Tigger, having always been in trouble, all my young life, for a certain too-too-ness - throwing myself too much into mudpies, truck-roads, microscopic life, animals and life generally -and getting my stupid frock dirty, tattered, torn and besmirched as well as forgetting tea, Sunday School, strictures abpout strangers and suchlike.

Sigh.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:43 am
Never really got a good feel for the Pooh gang...saw too many cartoony versions, toys, etc., now the Wind in the Willows gang, that's another story...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:07 pm
CARTOONS of the Pooh folk - now you have hit a nerve! Phtooey! Hate that Disney horror - quite understand how you feel.

Mind you, Dorothy Parker waxed most disgusted with the Pooh stuff - she twowed up - and this was the proper, literary version.

Dream - I started a whole Abuzz thread on the problems with "The Wind in the Willows" - it is quite hilarious and spawned the whole series of digression threads - which may well not be a good thing - I may pop over later and copy the intro to that thread and import it here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
Here 'tis - "The things that worry me about "The Wind in the Willows"".

I am worried - some things just don't make sense! For instance, are the animals grown-ups
or not? They live independently, but they do not appear to mate - except for Otter. Are
they gay? What IS Rattie's relationship with Mole? And what about the sea-faring Rat - was
he trying to be a home-wrecker? Are they just Edwardian gentlemen, and hence never going
to grow up?

Why is the horse that pulls the caravan a normal horse?

Why are stoats and weasels lower class? - (sorry Stoat!)

Where are the girl animals?

Why don't the courts and prisons realize Toad is a toad?

How come Toad is big enough to drive a car?

Why didn't the stoats and weasels have squatter's rights over Toad Hall?

I am so worried - does anyone else have worries? Can you help?

(http://www.abuzz.com/interaction/s.221956/discussion)
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:55 pm
I'm off to Abuzzland to check it out. If I don't come back send out a search party: there are a lot of hooooooodlums and kooks hangin out over there
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:33 am
Did you make it back, Dream? Actually, that thread got itself all twisted up over Alice In Wonderland, if I recall correctly.

Now - THERE is a book which scared the living manure out of me! My mother used to read it to my older sister, who loved it, while I cowered under the bedclothes - alternately covering my ears, listening to a little bit, covering them again... I STILL find it spooky.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 04:35 pm
My favourite children's book is/was Where the Wild Things are.

I also read Matilta and Harriet the Spy when I was 8, and those books were what made me want to be a writer.

Peter Rabbit also comes to mind, but I think that one just scared me!

Lorna Smile
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:33 pm
I just read Tuck Everlasting. Very good book, even for adults. Perhaps a good book for a child who has been through a death in the family.
0 Replies