Portland, Seattle, Vancouver

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
I'm taking a trip to see my sister at her new (well, I haven't seen it yet) home in Portland. I know very little about the area, but we thought we'd head up to Seattle and Vancouver as well as seeing P. So, we're trying to get a rough schedule in order.

For those of you who live in these cities or have visited - what should I see and do? I am a culture and nature junkie. The only bit I know about the area is what I learned in school of the natives who live there. And on that topic, only the past (anthro).

I'll be doing some research, but I'd like to hear your opinions!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 30,155 • Replies: 442
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:44 pm
Oooh, Mr. Jespah and I went to Seattle and Portland for our honeymoon. Will have to ask him for his input (it's, um, been a while since we, er, 'mooned). :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:48 pm
ok!
I know there are several a2kers from that area.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:51 pm
Well you know which member can tell you about Seattle. Unfortunately, as far as I know the kind and furry Stoat is still just a "lurker."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:55 pm
I've been looking online for just a few minutes but I can already tell I'm hopelessly aimless. I need a fine-tuning!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:24 pm
OK, I live in Seattle and love going to Portland, so let's see...

Of course, it depends on how much time you'll have and your ability to get around. In general, I suggest avoiding the obvious tourist stuff, like the Space Needle in Seattle and the Underground Tour. However, a ferry to Winslow is worthwhile--only takes 30 minutes each way, and Winslow is quaint enough for lunch or whatever. Seattle's Arboretum is also a good time, though it may be a bit swampy at this time of year. Volunteer Park is nice, and if you climb the water tower you get a better view than the Space Needle--and it's free!

As for Portland, I love their downtown: It's really pedestrian-friendly. And Oregon has no sales tax!

If you like beer, there's no place better, IMHO, than the Northwest. Lots of great pubs with really tasty ales.

Well, there's a start. If you have specific questions, I'll try to help...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:38 pm
The Fish Market, the ferry trip to the Winslow, and the Underground Tour (D'art: we ARE tourists! We like obvious tourist stuff) were my Seattle favorites.

Vancouver is beautiful--venture downtown to a nice restaurant.

I believe blatham is a resident--he can probably elaborate...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:41 pm
hello, littlek!

I'd enjoy hearing more about Seattle, too.
A very dear, old friend of mine now lives there. He loves the place!

(ps will you be taking your critters with you?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:49 pm
D'Art - I have little interest in the majorly tourist spots. I'll see the space needle from the streets of seattle, thankyouverymuch. The water tower tip is GREAT! So is the Winslow idea. What's this under ground thing?

I do LOVE beer! All my favorites are from out there. (Anchor Xmas Ale - YUM!).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:50 pm
PDiddie - Pike's Place? I do want to see that, I think.

MsOlga - maybe one of your big trips can see you in the great
NW.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:54 pm
Lil'k.....

Yippee!!!!!

You MUST visit!!!!

You were such a gracious hostess when I was in your town, now I can show you all seven buildings in my town!!! Laughing

Seriously, I want to see you when you're here!!!!

Peace and Love
Sandra
Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:59 pm
I second the underground tour. Very wry, very funny (at least the woman who led us through was). And I went as a resident...

As a nature freak, I'd hit the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island (and the coast of Oregon, for that matter). It depends on what time of year you're here, of course, and how long you've get (by ferry or by road, both are a pretty decent trek).

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing much you can do in Seattle that you can't do in Beantown. Can't vouch for Portland. I love going to 13 Coins to eat when I've got a few extra bucks; not a very good option for the cash-strapped or the vegetarian. The clams (appetizer menu, lots of garlic) are unbelievable.

The fabulous local (and only local, so far as I can tell) beer: Mack and Jack's African amber. Mmmm, like a big, fat, chewy IPA, dry-hopped to high heaven with our own Cascade hops. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Would make more and better suggestions, but I'm generally pretty strapped for ideas myself. Pretty much any boat trip in the Puget Sound is a winner.

Oh! Three pieces of Seattle public art that I think you'd dig, all in the Fremont neighborhood:
The Fremont Troll
Vladimir Lenin
Waiting for the Interurban

All very close to my house, and some of the most original things Seattle's got outside of the Pike Place Public Market (also worth a look, though much more antiseptic than it used to be).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:59 pm
P&L - Yippee! How close to Seattle? Maybe we should PM.... or email.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:02 pm
PDog - I'll be there at the end of March. The whole trip will only be 4 or 5 days. Going to check out the links
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:09 pm
pdog - the links are all great, thanks. But, my Slovak housemate doesn't see the humor and irony in the lenin statue.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:16 pm
Boomerang is in Portland I think.
I'm 270 miles due east of Seattle.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:17 pm
And piffka is up there too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:20 pm
yep
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
Hi lil'k.... I'm about one hour south of Seattle.... I'd love to spend a day in Seattle.... I could show you all the sights... We could get together with other A2K'ers... Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, lots of art galleries and little shops... Seattle is a great city!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:39 pm
P&L - I'll be traveling with my sister and maybe her hubby (they live in Portland). And, I'll be visiting an old neighborhood friend in Seattle. Maybe my cousin and family as well (can't remember where they live exactly.....). Maybe I'll try to reserve more days in Seattle. Hmmm..... I'd love to go poking around with you.
0 Replies