Indian Diaries of worldly and streetsmart travelers

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:15 pm
Well, not much going down right now, I am semi sick, semi hungover, so I decided to jinx my luck and boast about my upcoming trip to India, for which I don't have visa and permits yet. I have already boasted to many a person, so if that didn't jinx it, this won't either.
In less then a month, I will embark on a 26 hour trip - flying to Kolkata. There I will meet up with my boss, and onwards we fly to Dimapur, Nagaland. Nagaland is a restricted area (that's why I need special permit) due to the longest insurgency in the world -- Nagas are fighting the Indian government ever since India incorporated them into India- in 50s sometime. They are 16 tribes of former head-hunters. Once a great sea-faring civilization they moved more inland and diminished. Hope to learn a lot more when I'm there.
From Nagaland, which is in Northeast India we fly to Southwest - state of Kerala, where they have a fantastic university where students engage in a lot of ethnic resolution cases. Anyhow, i can't post much about what I'll be doing there, but I will post pictures, observations, and such. That is if I do get the permit, but since boss'es friend has an uncle who knows someone at the office in New Delhi... or some sort of something like that... I have good faith. And am so damn excited I'm about to burst!
Suggestions about what to see in my limited time in Kolkata, Cochin or Mumbai are very very welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 38,741 • Replies: 521
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:22 pm
I am so jealous!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:23 pm
Me too :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:24 pm
Hahahaha!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
I will ask - I have a politician friend who just came back - earnest study tour - hugely impressed with India's labour intellectuals.....not sure where she went, though...

Wow!!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:38 pm
Swoon!

Argh, I gotta go there.

Umm umm at a loss for specific recommendations -- I pick up this and that after reading scads of modern Indian novels but probably not much that is practical.

Looking forward to stories and pics.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:53 pm
I once went out on an internet date with a girl from India. She was kind of a bitch. Does that help you out at all?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
Oh, that is wonderful piece of information. i was hoping to find me a good indian woman, but i will rest my case. besides, they don't look indian where i'm going. they are of a mongolian civilization and speak their own languages and whatnot. all in all it has little to do with india. the northeast part of the trip that is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:29 pm
one of the tribe's festivities. yup, that's where i'm going!
http://www.ubphotos.com/pics/albums/nagaland/4_01_04_Nagaland.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:42 pm
Dag, you have such an interesting job. How much travelling do you do?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
Dag,
( sorry this will derail your thread.. but anywho-)
Dys sat at my table for almost 15 mintes raving about you.
He said that you are truly the first woman to have intimidated him.
He said the combination of your beauty and brains made you a wonderful person to have met.
Of course, he doesnt like anyone knowing he has a heart...ha!
So instead of keeping this wonderful compliment to you a secret, I willput it in writting so that when he comes back he can not deny it. ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 07:26 pm
Dag--

Wonderful. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:02 pm
;-) Dys.... intimidated? Next thing you'll tell me is that their dog took off at lunch and went for a short flight around the mountain!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:27 pm
It is final. I am going. Don't have visa and permit yet, but visa will not be a problem. We decided we're going even if we don't get into Nagaland, which would be a bummer, but hopefully that won't happen. So yay, i am mui excited!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
Couldn't have happened to a nicer person. I'm happy for you! Enjoy!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 04:52 pm
yeah. and yeeee-haaaaw!
hopefully it will be smooth. nagaland is in uproar right now, insurgency intensified, some bloodshed happened in the past few days. hope it calms down. in any case we will most likely be accompanied by the indian secret service very very secretly - they always send a leach of two to follow whoever goes to nagaland - hopefully that will make us less desirable as potential target. oh well, all shall be seen. exciting stuff though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:09 pm
so, when is it happening?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:06 am
ouuuch.... hopesfully not tomorrow, cause i am hurtin right now. my colleagues should be hung, unless, which is probable and likely, they're hurtin just like i am.... oooffff. long night ahead, i hope.
am going on 19th of february. keeping fingers crossed for all that needs to happen. which is a lot.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
You'll be escaping the last of winter. Good idea.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:31 pm
err, actually no. Nagaland is high up, I mean it is a mountainous regions, like Nepal, and it does get really cold. They don't get snow though. And I will spend a week in Kerala, which is on the other side of India - the South west, that will be warmer. hooray. i am soooooo excited, even though the political situation in N. is such a grandiose mess right now and we are expected to mediate some solutions in the middle of it. not easy to even imagine. oh well, all the more exciting.
0 Replies