Comprehensive English Dictionaries and the OED

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
Hello. I am interested in purchasing English Language Dictionaries. What is the difference between comprehensive and unabridged?
What comprehensive and/or unabridged English language dictionaries have the same and/or similar features as the OED second edition? i'm looking for dictionaries that feature archaisms, psuedoarchaisms, colloquialisms, various spellings of words, synonyms, poetic words, unusual words, slang words, words from literature and history and mythology, etymologies, definitions of words in the etymologies, word usages (fig., transfigurative., metaphoric, poetic, allusive., attrib., etc.) and citations and quotes and words borrowed from other languages/cultures? And Spencerian and Chaucerian words? Please let me know. Thank you.

[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,960 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
Hello JG.

Take a look at Merriam Webster Unabridged Dictionary (online) - they have the features you're looking for, and it's a lot cheaper than OED2.

Also, you can register for a 14 day free trial with MWUD. Good sleuthing!
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:53 pm
Check it out here: http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 04:27 pm
I want want to buy English Language Dictionaries. Firstly, is it more advantageous to buy OED 2nd edtion on CD-ROm, or the 2-volume version that comes with magnifying glass?
What dictionaries, British and AMerican, besides the one you listed, have the saqme and.or similar features as the OED 2nd edition?

What is the difference between unabridged and comprehensive?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 04:34 pm
There is no dictionary that has all the features of the OED. It has multiple volumes, far more than any other English dictioniary I'm aware of. If you want all the info you describe above, JGoldman, you need the OED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:07 pm
Yes, but what other dictionaries list variuos spellings, etymologies and word usages and citatations?If there aren't any sdictioanries that have all of the same features ads the OED 2nd editoin, which oonesw have most of and/or similar features as the OED 2nd edition?
0 Replies

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:22 pm
None! The OED2 is your primary choice. The MWUD is your secondary choice. That's it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:21 pm
Impossible. What about:
http://www.fifthgate.org/articles/dicts.html
Or here:
http://www.lehigh.edu/library/guides/diction.html#1
Or here:
http://www.elearnaid.com/undic.html
Or these:
Webster's Third International Dictionary of the Ehglish Language Unabridged.
Webster's New Universal Unabrideged Dictionary
Webster'=s New Twentieth CEntury of the English LAnguage
Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the WEnglish Language
The Random House DIctionary of the English Language
Random House Diuctrionary of the English Language
Funk and Wagnall's New Standard Dictionary of the English Language
The Century Dictionary
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:22 pm
I asked some other people and got at least 4 or 5 responses.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:43 pm
PLease don't be offended, but I was anticipating getting more responses.
Does anyone have any input?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
There are several people who are site members who know a great deal about dictionaries. They are not online here at all times.

Perhaps you can look up all those dictionaries in your list and compare and contrast all their features.

Chances are the Bibliophile is right.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
Firstly, is it more advantageous to buy OED 2nd edtion on CD-ROm, or the 2-volume version that comes with magnifying glass?

The CD-ROM option has a risk: It may take much time to startup to check a single word, and CD-ROM does not last for ever, but can be used only on compatible OS's.
I do not know a 2-volume version but have a 1-volume version with magnifying glass. I do not think it is suitable for full reading of the article of a word, but have an impression that it can be used only for checking some aspects in the dictionary about a word.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:47 pm
Ultimately, choosing a dictionary is a highly personal choice. For most people, many dictionaries will do. For those with specific needs, it's best to sample the dictionaries to see what each offers.

Sounds like the questioner here knows of a few to choose from; I suggest checking them out. No one can tell you what's best for you...
0 Replies

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:34 am
JGoldman10 wrote:
Impossible. What about:
http://www.fifthgate.org/articles/dicts.html
Or here:
http://www.lehigh.edu/library/guides/diction.html#1
Or here:
http://www.elearnaid.com/undic.html
Or these:
Webster's Third International Dictionary of the Ehglish Language Unabridged.
Webster's New Universal Unabrideged Dictionary
Webster'=s New Twentieth CEntury of the English LAnguage
Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the WEnglish Language
The Random House DIctionary of the English Language
Random House Diuctrionary of the English Language
Funk and Wagnall's New Standard Dictionary of the English Language
The Century Dictionary

Sounds to me that you already have a wide selection to choose from. But I do have to tell you, seriously, as a former lexicographer, the 22 volume OED2 (which I have) is REALLY what you are looking for. The CD version is a poor format - the online version is superior, though. Personally, I prefer the volumes, but the online OED2 is super-fast when you are looking for etymological linkages.

The decision is yours!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:02 am
None of the dictionaries you list has all the features of the OED2. "Unabridged" simply means that no words have been left out, at least to the best of the compiler's ability. As a rule, it will not include words that have been obsolete for a few hundred years, e.g. words from Chaucer's day that did not survive. It will not give detailed etymologies, the way the OED does. Why are you fighting it, JGoldman? What I've just said seems to be the consensus here.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:08 am
Merry: I think he's being coy - trying to show us all what he knows!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:51 pm
Does anyone have input about the links and the books I listed? I"m not asking for personal opinions, I'm asking which books have the same features as the OED 2nd edtion.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
I'm not interested in knowing opinions-I want to know which books or books have the same and/or similar features as the OEd 2nd edition.
Maybe You know of some that aren't listed, and maybe you know something I don't know.
What about Samuel Johnson books?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:26 pm
Well, then, go look up the books, if you don't want to listen to opinions here. Take a pad and pencil. Be sure to let us know about your evaluation of all possible dictionaries, and why you evaluated them that way. Try not to speak merely from opinion, however long your time of dictionary looking.
And don't trip.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:36 pm
JGoldman - Perhaps if you answer a simple question it may clarify things. In your inital post you wrote "I am interested in purchasing English Language Dictionaries."

Since you listed "dictionaries" I would assume you are building some sort of collection? Is that correct?

It seems that most of the responses are geared toward you only buying one and that disconnect seems to be at the heart of what people are responding with.
0 Replies