Bagels, Pizza, Hot Dogs and Race Tracks - New York City?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
I'm trying to organize my thoughts, plans, hats for a trip to New York in late April.

Other than walking, window-shopping, museum-hopping, and hopefully a coupla of off-off-off B'way performances, I'd like to have some good nosh. Where are the best local pizzas, the chewiest bagels, the best kosher deli (are there still good delis in the diamond district?), street meat vendors ... any other New York eateries that are good and fun.

I want to be able to go in somewhere, order my bagel with cream cheese, read a magazine/paper, and listen to the New York noise.

and a race track? Toronto's got a great track, the best cheap entertainment I can think of. Anything accessible to downtown NYC?

Any general ideas of a fun morning or afternoon wander around? I'm not interested in chic or chi-chi or 'name'.

Thanks for any ideas/help. Well, thanks for almost any ideas/help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 230,499 • Replies: 4,110

kickycan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:34 am
Okay, I gotta think about this. My favorite Pizza place is Al Forno, but that's near me, on 2nd Avenue between 77th and 78th. I don't know if you'll want to go that far up just for pizza. There's a place called Lombardi's near Little Italy that I have heard is excellent too. Haven't been there though.

As for racetracks, Belmont is I think the easiest to get to from the city, and probably the best, but I don't think it's open until May. I'm no horseracing fan though, so maybe someone else will know for sure.

Street vendors? In the midtown area, don't worry, you will find them everywhere.

I'll think about the rest and get back to you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:38 am
Thanks, kicky.

I want to really wander around, stay close to the street life and noise. It's my favourite part of being in a city. Lotsa street meat vendors? Hooray! They usually have good stories if you can catch them off peak eating times.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
Oh, and by the way, I was going to mention Ray's pizza in my post, not because it's anything great, but because you will find that just about everywhere you go, there seems to be a pizza place called "Ray's" or "Original Ray's", or "Famous Original Ray's", or "Ray's World Famous Original"...so for fun, I looked it up, and found this little blurb.

You might wonder who this "Ray" was.  According to the Food Network, there never was a "Ray".  The original "Ray" was actually named Ralph (Ralph Como), who many years ago (in 1929) opened a pizza restaurant in the Little Italy section of New York (Prince and Mott Streets).  Somehow, the name Ralph was transformed to Ray (allegedly a friend of Ralph's called him "Rayfie", which then became "Ray"), and a spun-off location ultimately evolved into the Famous Original Ray's mini-chain owned by another person.  The other "Ray's" were copycats and, as you might suspect, there were lawsuits over the use of the name Ray.  In case you are wondering, the "real" "original" Ray's (or "Ralph's") is still at Mott and Prince Streets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
I think I'm going to spend an afternoon trying to find one of the pizza places Mario from the Food Network went to. Brighton Beach or something. hmmmm. Better do a search.

Good pizza is worth the search.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:08 am
ooh - he's got his own pizza place!

not that i really want a fifth avenue pizza - but it's Mario!

ENTOTECA OTTO PIZZERIA (One Fifth Ave., 212-995-9559)

In a sprawling series of dining rooms in Greenwich Village, co-owner Mario Batali of Food Network fame is pulling in crowds with his griddle-cooked pizzas and extensive tribute to regional Italian wines. Take your pick from crusts scattered with toppings such as thinly sliced potato, anchovy and ricotta cheese; clams, chilies and garlic; or even lardo (make that cured salt pork). To begin a meal, consider some very good antipasti--the fried snacks are first-rate--and don't say "ciao" without a dish of the kitchen's sublime gelato. Pizzas $9-$14.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:08 am
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, anyone know a good non-chain book store? maybe one that does remainders ...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
ehBeth- Definitely worth a walk.

http://www.2ndavedeli.com/home.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
ohhhhh, they've got kugel

but the whitefish you can mail order isn't on their menu Confused (back to search it some more)

thanks, phoenix
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
Hi Beth, sounds like a good time to be visiting NYC. You asked me about my stay there with P&L. Well. We were there less than 24 hours... so I can give you a quick rundown of a quick trip, but I'm sure nearly everybody else has more interesting & important things to recommend.

We stayed at the Empire Hotel ($100/night = internet rate). It was OK and fairly well-situated across from the SW corner of Central Park & just east & across the street from Lincoln Center. Not a dump... nothing fancy.

We ate dinner with abuzz friends at Il Violino on 68th & Columbus which was within walking distance and seemed (to my uncultured tastes) to be a very good Italian place.

Merry Andrew met us and helped us find our way around, and of course we met Bert for lunch, which was great. My favorite thing to do was taking the ferry to Staten Island & I was happy to see Pooh & Co. at the Public Library. We also saw bits of Rockefeller Center & peeked in at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Hmmm. That was about it. The things we WANTED to do but didn't have enough time were to visit every museum, especially the Cloisters and to do loads more shopping. I would have loved to spend time in Central Park people-watching, and also in Greenwich Village looking for the perfect Italian grocery, but that could be because I'm currently reading Lucia, Lucia. (not highly recommended, but fun)

I can say from previous trips to NYC that a day or two spent at the Metropolitan Museum would not be wasted. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:25 pm
<slaps self in forehead - gotta send a note to Bert>

Thanks Piffka.

The Staten Island Ferry. Gotta do that. Gotta do that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:01 pm
<slaps self in forehead, that's the same hotel, the Empire, that the couple told me about, that I gave a link for in another thread, and laughed because the price was not inexpensive, as they had said, but $200+>

Clearly I needed to check a little further on its prices.

Piffka, I knew you folks had stayed at an ok and fairly inexpensive place, but had forgotten the name...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:02 pm
Lots of tips here:

The Non-Expert: When in Manhattan...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:07 pm
Walter, that's a very good and funny article. Thanks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:13 pm
ehBeth wrote:
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, anyone know a good non-chain book store? maybe one that does remainders ...

I don't know what a remainder is. But, Coliseum books is a great independent book store on 42nd street between Fifth and Sixth. Plus, Bryant Park is right across the street, so you can buy a book and then go sit on the lawn and read it right then if you want. Nice little park.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
Oy, kicky! Remaindered books - well, they didn't sell well in chains, so they get sold off to independents. You can often find interesting treasures in book stores that carry remainders. Like the cookbook/history text that was written to accompany the Master and Commander series.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:16 pm
Aaah, thanks, ehbeth. I should go visit that "What have you learned on A2K?" thread now. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:20 pm
Great link, I really enjoyed it. Did see the ital restaurant named Beppe's, that's one on my list to try as the NYTimes has featured the chef in various articles and his dishes always sound really good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:26 pm
Bryant Park keeps coming up as being near things I'm interested in. Guess I'll grab a book, a magazine, and a hot dog and go to Bryant Park, and hope that no pigeons poop on my hat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
dropping this into my interest satchel here

http://www.nymetro.com/pages/details/10166.htm

Sip Sak
928 Second Ave. (Midtown East/Murray Hill)
between 49th and 50th Sts.
212-583-1900

Turkish

Price Range: Inexpensive

At his latest venture, Orhan Yegen has reprised all of Efendi's fabulous meze, including what might be the best hummus and tarama in town, not to mention steam-table dishes like baked lamb served over a heavenly eggplant purée. A choice of counter or waiter service, fresh-baked pita, and heat-and-eat dinners to go suggest that Yegen's become sensitive to the absurd demands of his devoted clientele. So sensitive, in fact, that he'll soon offer cooking classes.
0 Replies