Contact Dermititis?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:44 pm
Think of all the little seeds and pollens in the dirt. Unless you're using sterilized soil. I went through a phase of baking houseplant soil in the oven. That helped a bit.

Yup - write down all the ingredients of stuff you're using, exposed to. Usually the contact dermatitis takes about an hour or two to really rev up for me. Unless I'm around sumac - then it's really fast.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
Poison sumac, or just regualr sumac?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:33 pm
Well, garden season again.... I need to find an antihistamine that doesn't knock me out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:22 am
Find a house brand version of Tavist if you can. Takes about 3 days to really get set in your system.

It's the only antihistamine that doesn't knock me out/give me a hangover.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:48 am
I tried Claratin and although it didn't make me drowsy, I had a significant hangover the next day. I guess if I'd kept taking it I would have adjusted to it, but I'd rather take benedril at night and suffer somewhat through the day than feel loopy all day long.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:07 pm
Benadryl ointment should take care of the immediate problem. I find that I am allergic to piney type things. When I prune the arbor vitae, I need to where full PPE or I will break out. I also can't use shampoos or soaps that contain rosemary.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Swimpy -THAT is very helpful! I didn't even know there was an ointment! I'll look for that!

I went to the pharma today to find daytime allergy relief. I asked at the help desk to make sure skin reactions would respond to drugs that treated nose reaction type allergies. The pharmacist said yes. I could find only one 12-hour, daytime antihystamine: Alavert. They had tavist but it was 24-hour medication (as was the claritin). I got a small box to test it out. Will let you all know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:27 pm
You need to get the antihistamine into your system around the clock - you'll need to take the 12 hour stuff twice a day. Benadryl is really the only instant onset antihistamine and it knocks most people right out. The others need a day or 2 of full time dosage. to get the blood levels stable.

You need to watch some of the non-drowsy ones as they can make people antsy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:29 pm
There are quite a few anti-itch ointments specifically targeted to the symptoms. You need to something to prevent the symptoms, if you can find one that works for you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:05 pm
I was thinking daytime AHs for 12 hours and benadryl for 12 hours. Beth, I only get this when I garden, I don't garden every day. There's very little chance that I'll stay on the stuff full-time unless things get worse.

Topical is interesting since the symptoms I have are only topical (so far as I can tell).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:42 pm
Littlek, would it be ONLY topical if it involves swelling in the nose ("tightness")?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:12 am
littlek wrote:
I was thinking daytime AHs for 12 hours and benadryl for 12 hours.

Don't bother with the daytime AH's if you're not going to take them on a regular, seasonal, basis. They're not meant to be used on an irregular schedule. If you're just going to treat the symptoms, go with the ointments/decongestants/eyedrops/nasal sprays etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:00 pm
JL - I get a nasty rash as a reaction, but it either has no nasal correlation or little nasal correlation.

Beth, I have the stuff, I will, indeed, bother trying it. I'll let you know.
0 Replies

sac727

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:42 am
@littlek,
Two possibilities. I have a dye allergy where my throat closes when I get it on my skin. I can tell you that dye is such a common ingredient that you could easily react to many soaps; I have to really look for soap I can use. Same with shampoo and conditioner. You might be reacting after gardening if you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards, leaving the soap on your skin for longer. Food dye allergy does NOT show up on an allergy test, but your doctor can still help you diagnose your trigger.

I've also read that some potting soil contains ingredients from peanuts, tree nuts, and coconut (you may also react to mold). These allergies, including mold, will show up on an allergy test.

Lastly, try dye-free Benadryl. If you are allergic to dye, you will feel beyond miserable ingesting dye and antihistamine at the same time (regular Benadryl makes me much more severely tired than the dye-free version). Good luck! New allergies are bewildering.

Lastly, Benadryl is the right choice for acute allergic reactions. Sudafed and Claritin will not stop a rapid reaction nor keep you safe. They are best for mild, around-the-clock allergies.
0 Replies

xanders

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:35 pm
@littlek,
Yes!
I've had 3 episodes recently. In the first, I had added a bag of aged chicken manure to my raised bed full of soil I'd used with no problems before. I was sweating and wiped my face with my gloved hands. The rash appeared everywhere I'd swiped. It took Prednisone to finally clear it.
2nd and 3rd times came from sterile seed starter -- NOT the kind with added fertilizer or chemicals.
I get red, toughened skin that burns and sometimes itches. Always on my face, not on my hands or arms.
0 Replies