Bryllcreme - a little dab 'll do ya

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:16 pm
In the early 50s I had longer than average hair quite often. I had nothing to keep it in place but water. As I became a teen of fourteen, I began to use Bryllcreme. It made my hair dark and shiny and held it in a dt very efficiently. Even allowed a ringlet to drop down over my forehead. This lasted until 1962, when as a sailor I needed no dressing.
My stepfather used Wildroot Creme Oil. It was made with soothing lanolin. Since he always wore it combed straight back I didn't see that it was all that necessary.
My oldest brother used a pomeade because he had a combined flat-top and dt. It kept the short hair standing up and the sides swept to the back.
What about you old guys? What did you do with your hair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,890 • Replies: 53
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:40 pm
Brylcreem or Wildroot until the night the Beatles appeare on Ed Sullivan...then never again...it was nothing or hairspray after that...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
Re: Bryllcreme - a little dab 'll do ya
edgarblythe wrote:

What did you do with your hair?

lost it http://67.18.37.17/622/161/emo/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:53 pm
In the '60's I looked all over town for some sort of pomeade to use for men's hairstyles in a theatrical production.

I finally found some at a black beauty parlor.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:53 pm
For those who don't remember what a ducktail (or duck's ass) haircut looked like:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDzAhscHPtkeg!YePpbsy7PlPh7ADXQZcLq*5WAni*59vZeFf6Kit6QHHqAUt01OsLMQbv4sHrxY7dsaIZAOX3Bl5WuI2xRBIpnv27WMraXh2h5rBsOAiALmg9imV8y/ducktail.jpg

See the shine? That's from the stuff that men put on their hair. In high school, there was this gorgeous hunk that the girls called, Greasemop!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:56 pm
I had my hair much like that in high school.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:27 pm
"dt" . . . you cracked me up with that one, EB.

My hair is very curly, so i used a hair cut, once a week. I didn't start growing my hair long until i was in the army, and they told me i couldn't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:42 pm
Always the rebel. Now that I can grow it any way I want there's not enough left to worry about.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
My dad had a flattop. I'm not sure what he did with it in the back. I don't think I have any pix of him as a young'n at my house.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:08 pm
When I was a kid, I had a damn tail.

I wish I could go back in time and bitchslap myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
HAHA!
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:27 pm
when i was in about first or second grade i had rather long hair (i lived on a farm and my mother said it was becoming of me and thats how all the guys who came out to the barn had their hair) but one day when my class was waiting to go to P.E. a boy came up to me and asked me if i was a boy or a girl. I punched him in the face... told him I was a boy and went home and made my mom cut my hair off... ever since then my hair has been pretty much the way it is in my avatar
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:52 am
edgarblythe wrote:
In the early 50s I had longer than average hair quite often. I had nothing to keep it in place but water. As I became a teen of fourteen, I began to use Bryllcreme. It made my hair dark and shiny and held it in a dt very efficiently. Even allowed a ringlet to drop down over my forehead. This lasted until 1962, when as a sailor I needed no dressing.
My stepfather used Wildroot Creme Oil. It was made with soothing lanolin. Since he always wore it combed straight back I didn't see that it was all that necessary.
My oldest brother used a pomeade because he had a combined flat-top and dt. It kept the short hair standing up and the sides swept to the back.
What about you old guys? What did you do with your hair?

bryllcreme
a little dab'll do ya
use more only if you dare
but watch out
the gal's will all pursue ya
they love to run their fingers through your hair

the song lingers on even if the follicles don't
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
So true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
Here's one incarnation of the Wild Root jingle

Get Wild Root Creme Oil Charley
It's made with soothing lanolin
You'll find that you will have a tough time Charley
Keeping all those gals away
Get Wild Root Creme Oil today
(Hiya baldie)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
djjd62 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Ditto Laughing

(Just thinking that bryl has been the reseon. Shouldn't I try to sue them for damages?)
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:09 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
djjd62 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Ditto Laughing

(Just thinking that bryl has been the reseon. Shouldn't I try to sue them for damages?)

people have sued for lots of money these days for more bizarre claims than that one. i guess they'd have to still be in business though.
on the other hand, love trading jingles with folks who remember them. they too have gone the way of old hair. now they use classic rock music to try to sell stuff. hate that!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:11 pm
once I had a flattop with ducks anyone remember them?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm
. I too had a poney tail for awhile, when I went overseas Ii cut it sshort because it was hot . I retturned to long hair and sideburns in the late 70s and then I have no idea what it was called after that, It was "long time between barber" look. Now I look like a Baptist minister .

i always hated the smell of that greasy ****. In the woods you could smell some dude for miles by the Vitalis and english Leather. good tthing I wasnt a cannibal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:23 pm
There was one brand - Rose something or other - Whew! Talk about nausiating. Maybe Four Roses.

My brother had the flat top with ducks all the way to 1969.
0 Replies